Pauls Plasma TV Nightmare , Nightmare resolved - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
CJU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased a St 50 55" Plasma TV from Pauls on October 11th shipped from Mich. Shipping company got it to St. Louis one week ago today. I was informed that it would not be delivered to me in N. Missouri until today, one week later. The delivery showed today they unloaded it & brought it inside.

I opened the box took off the panel cover & looked over the screen all I looked good. I signed off & the delivery truck took off.
About 20 min later I assembled the base & set it up on a stand that is about eye level standing & noticed some faint lines. Upon closer inspection there are several cracks in the screen under the 1st layer. These were impossible to see against the dark grey background.

I called the truck company & notified them they say no problem call the shipper & they will replace the set.
I called pauls & they said take pictures front & back & send it to them. However they are also telling me that I should not have signed off
on the delivery. The damage was very difficult to see & it was almost impossible to get a camera angle that would show the cracks.
They only showed up when I got a light very close to the panel or by taking it outside & getting just the right angle.

Now Pauls tells me that in 12 to 24 hours they will determination. This is all very unsettling, I have done nothing wrong, presently I am out the money, Time & have a set that will not even turn on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 779
What were the terms of delivery? Was the trucker to stand by and test the set in operating mode? What did Paul's dictate as to receiving procedure to qualify for optimal customer service? Stay calm, be factual and provide Paul's what you can. Internet ordering and truck delivery does have risks. Personally I'd want that tv out of the box and plugged in and functioning (with the delivering party confirming one way or the other) as a condition of delivery, but if you didn't set that up in the buying process IMHO the problem is essentially yours. Hope Pauls takes care of you...

post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 367
24-48 hours I think is the standard with online retailers when determing the next step....I wouldnt worry too much as long as you made 1st contact right away and are taking good records......As the previous poster said, usually you would want to turn the TV on before they leave, just in case you get a complete dud, this way they can pack it up and take it back right then. I havent heard that many bad things about Paul's TV, so you will probably be taken care of...
post #4 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The reason you sign off is because if the set is damaged the carrier's insurance pays. Now you call up and Paul's will be footing at least the shipping bills. They might be able to return the TV to mfg in stock balancing/damages.

Tony
post #5 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJU View Post

The delivery showed today they unloaded it & brought it inside. I opened the box took off the panel cover & looked over the screen all I looked good. I signed off & the delivery truck took off.

I presume you got their free so-called "White Glove" Delivery service, and if so their driver was remiss in that he did not plug in the TV because he's supposed to do so per their own delivery terms to ensure it works before scooting out of there . Hopefully Paul's will take your word for it that he did not power it up before bailing. If the driver says "Yes i did power it up, and it worked fine when i left" then you might be in for a battle with the trucking company. Maybe the driver opened the back of his truck and discovered that the TV carton had fallen over onto it's side and he was scared to power it up.

Paul's is a pretty good company when dealing with your local store but they can be a little pissy with online purchases. But typically White Glove delivery includes the driver(s) installing the base, placing the TV on your furniture, connecting at least one input, then turning the TV on to ensure it's working properly so i don't see why they're calling that White Glove.

Here's some excerpts from their terms page:

"For online purchases of any size plasma, any size DLP, and LED TV's with a screen size 55" and larger, we are proud to provide you with "white glove" delivery to the lower 48 states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii), free of charge......

....Our white glove service (also called Silver Plus) includes the following services:

Free deliveries are scheduled for Monday thru Friday only. No weekend or holiday deliveries.

Delivery of product up two flights of stairs inside the home or office (each flight is a maximum ten steps)

Placement into the room of your choice. Delivery to high rises require prior arrangement and additional charges.

Unpacking the product with no box or debris removal. We strongly recommend that you keep the box and packing for up to 30 days. Returns without the original box and packing will result in additional packing fees.

Plug in TV's and power on to ensure the TV is undamaged. If there is any physical damage to the product, do not sign and refuse the shipment.

Please note: Assembly of stands or pedestals are not included. Please contact us prior to your shipment if special services are desired at a additional fee.

Please note: White glove delivery can only be made to the room of choice, provided it can be done safely and without the risk of injury to anyone or damage to any property, at the sole discretion of the delivery personnel.

As you can imagine shipping a TV can be very delicate. We have partnered with delivery companies that specialize in delivering televisions to ensure your product arrives safely. That being said, there are still very rare occasions when the television may be damaged during transit. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU INSPECT THE PRODUCT FOR DAMAGES BEFORE THE DRIVER LEAVES. Accepting delivery indicates there is no physical damage to the television. If the product is found defective for any reason other than shipping damage, we will be sure to take care of you. Once the product arrives, we ask that you:

INSPECT THE PRODUCT. If there is damage to the product, then refuse delivery and ask the driver to return the product to us."

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
CJU

It was supposed to be white glove delivery they did not plug the Tv in while on site. I plugged it in a few minutes after they left l & nothing be noise. It now the 3rd day since delivery ( 1st response said will have a decesion in 12 to 24 hrs) & yesterday I called to speak with the decision maker. I was told they were on break & when I called back @ 3:30 Pacific time they told me the supervisior had gone home for the day. I do not like the way this is trending if not resolved today I will have to start the dispute process with my ccard company on the Pauls Tv transaction.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
CJU

Finally some progress on this issue. Got an email that they would exchange the set or refund the purchase. Its not over till its over however I was glad to get the response about doing the right thing.
I was getting nowhere until I did a 3 way conference call with my credit card company & Pauls on this issue & I opened up a dispute today. I also let them know I had posted about this on the forum. Thank you Pauls for doing the right thing.
I feeling much better about this now.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally some progress on this issue. Got an email that they would exchange the set or refund the purchase. Its not over till its over however I was glad to get the response about doing the right thing.
I was getting nowhere until I did a 3 way conference call with my credit card company & Pauls on this issue & I opened up a dispute today. I also let them know I had posted about this on the forum. Thank you Pauls for doing the right thing.
I feeling much better about this now.

Just keep in mind you signed for it with a clean receipt when the driver should have done more (no excuse to the freight company, but I think the other guy might have nailed why he did what he did), so be patient. I'm in the freight business, and signing for something without inspecting carefully, especially when you were warned by Paul's as particularly what to do puts part of this on you. Glad to hear you're getting resolution!

post #9 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
CJU

I understand the part of signing off its ok. The difficulty here was the damage was hidden, When they asked me to take pictures its was quite a task to get the cracks to show up in the picture. In fact looking straight on you could not see them. I had to position a lamp at just the right angle for any of the cracks to show up & even then it would not show all of them unless you move the light @ close range. I was not aware that the truck drivers were supposed to open the box & plug it in when the delivered. They did not & claimed they did. The cracks were in the inner layer with no scratch's or dents on the panel anywhere. If they would claim that I damaged it that would have been quite difficult to crack that inner panel in several places without any other damage.
All is good that ends well at least this is going in the right direction.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand the part of signing off its ok. The difficulty here was the damage was hidden, When they asked me to take pictures its was quite a task to get the cracks to show up in the picture. In fact looking straight on you could not see them. I had to position a lamp at just the right angle for any of the cracks to show up & even then it would not show all of them unless you move the light @ close range. I was not aware that the truck drivers were supposed to open the box & plug it in when the delivered. They did not & claimed they did. The cracks were in the inner layer with no scratch's or dents on the panel anywhere. If they would claim that I damaged it that would have been quite difficult to crack that inner panel in several places without any other damage.
All is good that ends well at least this is going in the right direction.

Believe me you are not alone about signing clean receipt for a shipment, even when there is signs of damage, even by some receiving departments where people are paid to do receiving. Fortunately some vendors won't hide behind that as Paul's freight company did (I'd suspect that Paul's shopped by price rather than quality of service for their delivery service, but quality is hard to judge by price alone in our business). Frankly the quality of packing of tv's isn't that great, they're fine for a containerload of tv's coming from the factory to a distribution point but for reshipping as a single piece not so hot.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM

yeah, i thinks so, Frankly the quality of packing of tv's isn't that great, they're fine for a containerload of tv's coming from the factory to a distribution point but for reshipping as a single piece not so hot., thanks for you sharing, 45.jpg
post #12 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
Really glad everything is going to be ok, You might want to change the title of the thread as Paul's is doing right by you and considering this think calling it a nightmare is harsh. Totally understand that when you started the thread you were not certain how the situation was going to be handled. Indeed the Shipping Company should have plugged it in and you should have ensured it worked before signing off on it.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #13 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Just because you sign off on it, doesn't mean there isn't hidden damage. You can have a product that looks perfectly good on the outside, and the inside is a mess.

Remember, as long as you paid for it with a credit card, you can always dispute the charges.

Michael
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page