Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bluray player: PS3 Slim
TV: Panasonic 65VT50

I noticed when watching blurays, on some scenes, I get a noticeably grainy/grainy picture. I usually just use THX bright mode for movies. I have not changed much of anything on this TV because I don't know the settings. I do know a lot of people use custom with fine-tuned settings but I don't know what any of these settings do/how to get a good picture. Any suggestions on reducing the grainyness?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are you sure you're not seeing film grain? 65" is huge and is going to show up alot of fine detail which unfortunately often means artefacts. Try turning overscan off on your Blu-ray input and see if that helps.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How close to the TV do you sit?

It does sound like it may just be film grain. What are examples of scenes where you see it? Especially in dark scenes in older movies many Blu-ray transfers exhibit some noise.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

About 6-7 feet away. I see it especially in dark scenes, but sometimes randomly...I have only watched new movies since I got it a month and half ago.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 37
It might help if you name the movies. Now, if you're seeing pronounced grain on, say, Saving Private Ryan or Defiance, that's as should be. It was an artistic choice and deliberate. If you see grain on very clean animation such as, say, WALL-E, that should *not* be. And, as mentioned, some transfers have a lot more grain/noise than others.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Welcome to the world of BD! biggrin.gif Also, make sure you set the player's resolution to auto and the output to 24p.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

.....TV: Panasonic 65VT50
I noticed when watching blurays, on some scenes, I get a noticeably grainy/grainy picture. ....... Any suggestions on reducing the grainyness?.....
Quote:
About 6-7 feet away. I see it especially in dark scenes, but sometimes randomly.

Best suggestion: Move your Viewing Position farther back....

If you're seeing those problems with blu-rays, can only image how Horrible SD DVDs or Cable programming must look!

On a 65" panel, at 6 - 7 feet, it also seems possible that you may be seeing Dither during darker scenes.

FWIW: 60ST50, at 9ft Primary Viewing Distance (with secondary seating between 10 - 12 feet): Blu-rays generally look Great, but Film Grain can be very obvious, depending upon movie (as has been noted by others). ALSO, even with a 60" at 9ft, ANY FLAWS in the source material are Very Obvious. Simply a function of Size / Distance relationship.

One side effect I've noticed since putting the 60" panel in place is that Film Grain AND General Video Flaws are now much more "visible" at the THEATERS than ever noticed in the past! eek.gif
Fairly certain that this is a result of trying to "learn" to "Critically View" a number of 2011 / 2012 panels....
post #8 of 9 Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

Bluray player: PS3 Slim
TV: Panasonic 65VT50
I noticed when watching blurays, on some scenes, I get a noticeably grainy/grainy picture. I usually just use THX bright mode for movies. I have not changed much of anything on this TV because I don't know the settings. I do know a lot of people use custom with fine-tuned settings but I don't know what any of these settings do/how to get a good picture. Any suggestions on reducing the grainyness?
Thanks

I believe a large part of your problem is using THX bright mode as that has a gamma of roughly 1.8 or so I believe. Why not use THX Cinema and increase the contrast of that to get something reasonably bright? I think quite a few people (myself included) and reviewers have found THX Bright Mode a bit grainy.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM

I don't see why people hate grain. Not unless its a huge distraction then what's the problem? To me it's like orange juice with pulp. It just seems more "true"...if that makes sense.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page