Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI all.

I am upgrading my TV to a Panny 65GT50.

I have a good but older Pioneer receiver (VSX-1014). It does not output HDMI.

I am wondering whether if I upgraded this to a newer receiver (still midrange ~$400) and ran the components through it and output HDMI, would there be a tradeoff in PQ vs running those components directly into the TV? Will I be better served in terms of PQ taking one approach or the other?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I've tried it both ways on 3 different sets--never saw any difference. Going thru a receiver can make the HDMI handshake take a little longer, but the advantages as far as simplifying connections and getting the lossless audio from BD discs is worth it.

Steve S.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks. What do you mean by lossless audio?

Are you saying the audio will be better through hdmi than it would through somethin like an optical audio cable?
post #4 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
TO put it simply yes, without HDMI you will not get True-HD or DTS Master HD.......You will be limited to DTS and DD with optical....
post #5 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA are High definition audio sound formats which are well worth the upgrade to HDMI, higher sample rates and 7.1 surround.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 32
There shouldn't be any degradation of PQ going thru the AVR. Just be sure to enable pass-thru which will avoid using the AVR processor.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
I use the bypass feature for hdmi sources on my avr to bypass the avr's video processing, my plasma tv's video processor is good and has a better color management system. Different HDMI inputs to your tv may give you the ability to separately calibrate each source, whereas using a single hdmi connection may not (look at the specs/manual to see). Try this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1355361/do-i-need-video-processing and search for others along these lines to get an idea of the options out there. Don't expect a lot from a lower range avr ($400 I wouldn't call midrange as many of the better avr's are not even available for less than $1000). I think for your $400 main benefits are simpler connections and the better sound options of hmdi and room correction software.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

HI all.
I am upgrading my TV to a Panny 65GT50.
I have a good but older Pioneer receiver (VSX-1014). It does not output HDMI.
I am wondering whether if I upgraded this to a newer receiver (still midrange ~$400) and ran the components through it and output HDMI, would there be a tradeoff in PQ vs running those components directly into the TV? Will I be better served in terms of PQ taking one approach or the other?
Thank you.

PQ will be exactly the same. I've owned several generations of Pioneer receivers and at the price you are talking about, you'll simply be passing the signal through the receiver which means the set will still be doing the processing (same as if you run the cables directly to the TV). People will claim that audio will better if you use HDMI connections but that's questionable. It is a subject of great debate about whether it is better to bitstream the HD audio signal to the receiver or let your player do the decoding then send the signal out as PCM. However, you'll never know for yourself if don't have an HDMI input into the receiver.

Having said all that, there is another good reason to upgrade your receiver. That is cable management. If you are like me, you have several components that feed video (BD, media player, XBOX). Do you want to run cables for each one to your set (and a separate cable for each to the receiver)? Wouldn't it be easier to simply run one HDMI cable from your receiver to your set and everything else goes to the receiver?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
And for whatever it's worth my Pioneer VSX919 lasted just about 2 years then crapped out...just don't make them like they used to.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 283
As others have stated, a good AVR should not much up the HDMI signal, and it makes for a neat wiring solution. Run all your HDMI to it, then one out to the display, and enjoy lossless audio.

After you cut off any AVR processing, you can easily check to see if it is doing anything to the signal. Buy the Spears and Munsil disc, first check the results of the patterns with your blu-ray player running directly to the display, then check the same patterns with the player running through the AVR.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page