GT50 60" or ST50 65"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a budget cap of $2000 (not inc. tax, s&h) for a new TV to replace a Samsung 42". It's for the main living room, with a viewing distance of roughly 10-12'.

I'll buy a blu-ray for it, but most of the watching will be normal U-Verse, sports, on-demand movies, and streaming Roku/Hulu/Netflix.

I do love going to theaters, and enjoy the detail level, colors, shading you get in a properly-lit cinema. I realize (I think?) to get the most from the set, it'll have to be blu-ray content.

Question is, am I better off with the extra 5", or is the quality jump to the GT worth that smaller size?

Thanks in advance.

Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
ive been debating the same thing myself. after tons of online research and viewing both displays im gonna go ahead and go with the 65st50. i think i would regret not going for the larger panel in the long run.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Liked: 16
I would definitely go for the 65 ST over the 60 GT. The ST and GT aren't different enough that would make the 5" difference insignificant. Definitely go with the larger panel!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryberry View Post

I have a budget cap of $2000 (not inc. tax, s&h) for a new TV to replace a Samsung 42". It's for the main living room, with a viewing distance of roughly 10-12'.
I'll buy a blu-ray for it, but most of the watching will be normal U-Verse, sports, on-demand movies, and streaming Roku/Hulu/Netflix.

At a 10 foot viewing distance, you are likely to be Quite Disappointed in anything but Blu-ray (or HDDVD or OTA HD) on a 60" panel - let alone a 65" panel.

With our 60ST50, Uverse typically looks Marginal at a 9ft viewing distance. Moving back to 12 feet works better.

The larger panel simply does a better job of "showing off" whatever source flaws exist in your program material - and, at least for a while, this effect will be heightened by the significant move from 42 to 60/65-inches.

If you have a high tolerance for PQ Glitches, the larger panel may work just fine. But you might be better served by opting for a 60-Inch ST50, and then "investing" the savings into your Blu-ray Player and a nice start on a library of blu-ray disks.... smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page