Having an issue with my new set. Looking for insight. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello forum friends! Samsung 60e6500 owner here!

So I am having an issue with my set, and I was hoping someone may have some insight. I have tried to search online, but I cannot find an explanation. I have had my set for almost two months and I have had no complaints on it. Beautiful picture. Then a few days ago, I turned on my set and after a few minutes these horizontal lines started appearing on my screen. Not static, but they would flicker on and off randomly and at different places. Sometimes they would cover the whole width of the screen, other times just on the right, or at the top, or the bottom. They were for the most part thin, sometimes a bit thicker. Kind of like tears flashing on the screen. And on too of that, the picture would get jittery off and on.

This is the odd part. This issue would appear on two of my hdmi sources. The PS3 and the Apple TV. Chances of being the cable seemed slim too me. When I would watch cable tv through my third HDMI source, there were no issues. Neither when watching content on the built in Smart Hub on the TV. Also, my Wii which is connected through component is not showing problems.

So I disconnected the PS3 and Apple TV and hooked them up with the very same cables to my other tv. No issues with them at all. Perfect. So the devices and cables are fine.

I hooked them back up to my plasma, issues again. I put new cables into the devices. Issues still there. I even rearranged into which HDMI port they go into. Still no change. I did the built in picture troubleshoot test... None of the problems resurface. Perfect image.

I even plugged my devices and my tv to different outlets and surge protectors. That didn't help. I find it off that my cable tv, also through hdmi, works perfectly as does my Wii and of course the Smart Hub. This just happened a few days ago and I am scratching my head. Also, when I turn the tv off and power it on again, the problem goes away... But for 5 minutes at the most and then it comes back again. But only on my PS3 and Apple TV.

Samsung is sending a service rep next week, but would love to hear any insight because if it is a silly problem, I don't want too look like an idiot to the technician -.-

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sounds to me like a failing component, bad capacitor(s) or what have you, on whatever board covers those HDMI ports? After it energizes and warms up then the problem eventually goes away. I would look into getting it fixed or swap for another TV since it's new?
post #3 of 4 Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

The tech came by and noticed that it only happens with 1080p, thus why my cable box (1080i) and Wii were not affected. He set my PS3 and Apple TV to 720p and 1080i and the problem went away. He swapped out the board and the TV was perfect again.

However, after he left I had to reconfigure my settings. Doing so, I updated my software... And the problem came back. So apparently there was never a problem with the board. It was the latest update. I recall doing an update before this happened last week. On top of that, now my picture was stuck on only dynamic mode.

So I reset, and restored everything to factory defaults. My tv is fine again. This time I didn't even bother to configure and add it to my network. That said, it's frustrating because for one, I can't update my tv, and two, I can't update m Smart Hub for access to say, Amazon Prime, because it requires the same update that seems to be messing up my tv.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Nah the problem wasn't going away at all. After warming up that is when it would occur/
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page