pink tint on edges of ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dameaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is this just something you have to deal with on this set, or is it possible to get a panel without this issue? i have seen tons of threads about this, and mine has pretty significant pinking around the edges of the panel. the entire top left corner, about 3" out from the bezel, and literally the entire right side 3-4" out from the bezel and bottom of the TV. it isnt apparent in most viewing conditions, but when there is a solid white or grey screen.... you can definitely see it.

the set does buzz quite a bit as well, i can hear it from 9ft away when volume is low. just wondering if i should return the TV and get another (BB is backordered so i would have to wait a week or more) or if this is just something you have to deal with. would the GT50 be less likely to have this problem? like maybe they have better quality panels, or more quality control measures?
Dameaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dameaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
no comments huh....great
Dameaus is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Member
 
iBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

is this just something you have to deal with on this set, or is it possible to get a panel without this issue? i have seen tons of threads about this, and mine has pretty significant pinking around the edges of the panel. the entire top left corner, about 3" out from the bezel, and literally the entire right side 3-4" out from the bezel and bottom of the TV. it isnt apparent in most viewing conditions, but when there is a solid white or grey screen.... you can definitely see it.
the set does buzz quite a bit as well, i can hear it from 9ft away when volume is low. just wondering if i should return the TV and get another (BB is backordered so i would have to wait a week or more) or if this is just something you have to deal with. would the GT50 be less likely to have this problem? like maybe they have better quality panels, or more quality control measures?

This so called PLASMA technology issues is something apparent on ALL PLASMA MODELS, most common people don't pay attentions to it, because:
0) They don't expect PERFECTION on current prices / technology / quality (ST50 has less input lag the GT50).
1) They don't watch / focus attention on solid images.
2) They don't watch with no / low volume.
3) They are mostly not hardcore gamers.

Your Plasma is less then few hundred hours used and without a proper warming up / break in time.
Buzz, Image Retention, Pink tint / discoloration uniformity, pixel response time / lag will mostly lessen and will be not too apparent / annoying anymore AFTER 1000+ hours used!

You want proper break in / warming up or testing any New Electronics for failures, then your (new) Plasma or other electronics, will need to do a whole week 24/7 continuous a proper break in / warming up procedure!

You can use Pixel Jogger for the Plasma, leave it play loops on the SD card for 7 days, 24hrs continuously on mid / high contrast and low / mid brightness.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406663/pixel-jogger-breakin-improves-pq-plasma-lcd-led-tv-the-only-way

I tested it with my P42S30, same in the beginning there is the louder annoying buzz and there is pink tint blob in the center apparent visible when connected on the pc.
After the proper break in time and after 1000+ hrs, the buzz is much lesser (-50%) and not annoying then in the beginning with quiet volume.
Pink tint blob is almost disappeared, still a bit visible with a solid white image.

I am a hardcore gamer and electronics purist, play games, watch HD movies etc. on Plasma with PS3 / PC. I don't go back to LCD!

Plasma variable louder buzz in the brighter images / scenes is caused by the plasma power transformers that vibrate louder because of higher current draw / consumption!
If extra louder Buzz is caused by the transformers boards because the boards screws is not tighten enough, you can fix it to tighten up those screws.
---

And if you are not satisfied with yours new electronics in the first days and think you can get better (luck) with another / other models, just exchange it!
You'll learn the hassle / luck / time / satisfaction, if it is benefitable!
iBrad is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dameaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

This so called PLASMA technology issues is something apparent on ALL PLASMA MODELS, most common people don't pay attentions to it, because:
0) They don't expect PERFECTION on current prices / technology / quality (ST50 has less input lag the GT50).
1) They don't watch / focus attention on solid images.
2) They don't watch with no / low volume.
3) They are mostly not hardcore gamers.
Your Plasma is less then few hundred hours used and without a proper warming up / break in time.
Buzz, Image Retention, Pink tint / discoloration uniformity, pixel response time / lag will mostly lessen and will be not too apparent / annoying anymore AFTER 1000+ hours used!
You want proper break in / warming up or testing any New Electronics for failures, then your (new) Plasma or other electronics, will need to do a whole week 24/7 continuous a proper break in / warming up procedure!
You can use Pixel Jogger for the Plasma, leave it play loops on the SD card for 7 days, 24hrs continuously on mid / high contrast and low / mid brightness.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406663/pixel-jogger-breakin-improves-pq-plasma-lcd-led-tv-the-only-way
I tested it with my P42S30, same in the beginning there is the louder annoying buzz and there is pink tint blob in the center apparent visible when connected on the pc.
After the proper break in time and after 1000+ hrs, the buzz is much lesser (-50%) and not annoying then in the beginning with quiet volume.
Pink tint blob is almost disappeared, still a bit visible with a solid white image.
I am a hardcore gamer and electronics purist, play games, watch HD movies etc. on Plasma with PS3 / PC. I don't go back to LCD!

Plasma variable louder buzz in the brighter images / scenes is caused by the plasma power transformers that vibrate louder because of higher current draw / consumption!
If extra louder Buzz is caused by the transformers boards because the boards screws is not tighten enough, you can fix it to tighten up those screws.
---
And if you are not satisfied with yours new electronics in the first days and think you can get better (luck) with another / other models, just exchange it!
You'll learn the hassle / luck / time / satisfaction, if it is benefitable!

uh.... i wont be "fixing" anything myself.... the product either comes perfect or it gets returned. aside from that, doesnt everyone buy a warranty on expensive purchases?

the purpose of my thread was to ask if the pink tint is common to all ST50s or if by returning mine and getting another, i may get one with zero pink tint and hopefully less buzz. it was also to ask if the GT50s maybe have a lesser chance of this happening due to better quality control/ use of panels with less flaws.

the bit about the GT50 having more input lag is blatantly false. the ST50 and GT50 use the exact same panel in their production. they will perform exactly the same, with the same settings. the only difference in panels could be, like i said, better quality control on the GT50s so you get a panel with possibly less "flaws".
Dameaus is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Member
 
iBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

the bit about the GT50 having more input lag is blatantly false. the ST50 and GT50 use the exact same panel in their production. they will perform exactly the same, with the same settings. the only difference in panels could be, like i said, better quality control on the GT50s so you get a panel with possibly less "flaws".

Your theory doesn't match the reality and proven reviews / measurements.
Do you have proof, they use exactly same panels with the exactly same specs / part nrs?

In this case GT50 has more input lag then ST50 is caused by extra image processing / extra electronics!

GT50 vs ST50 reviews:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50gt50b-p50gt50-201205091797.htm?page=Performance

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29261465/panasonic-gt50-hdtvtest-review..-worse-than-st50

Also many members in this forum are DIY.
iBrad is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
sebadooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is running a "break-in" slide show for 24/7 Energy Star certified? Jesus Christ...
sebadooo is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Member
 
iBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebadooo View Post

Is running a "break-in" slide show for 24/7 Energy Star certified? Jesus Christ...

The only true Energy Star friendly is leave the TV itself at OFF.

As you know part of the QA / QC procedure is pre-break in (burn-in procedure), around 24 hours longterm testing of higher price quality products at the factory.
"The name "burn-in'' comes from electronics (see the entry in the Jargon File). Many electronics components fail quickly. Those that don't are a more reliable subset. So a burn-in is done at the factory to eliminate the worst ones."

The problem is that they use these regular RGB testing patterns for these break in at the factory, so any single color slides can cause those discloration / uniformity issues / IR at early stages. They really should use Pixel Jogger instead.
iBrad is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

is this just something you have to deal with on this set, or is it possible to get a panel without this issue? i have seen tons of threads about this, and mine has pretty significant pinking around the edges of the panel. the entire top left corner, about 3" out from the bezel, and literally the entire right side 3-4" out from the bezel and bottom of the TV. it isnt apparent in most viewing conditions, but when there is a solid white or grey screen.... you can definitely see it.
the set does buzz quite a bit as well, i can hear it from 9ft away when volume is low. just wondering if i should return the TV and get another (BB is backordered so i would have to wait a week or more) or if this is just something you have to deal with. would the GT50 be less likely to have this problem? like maybe they have better quality panels, or more quality control measures?

I just purchased a 60 ST50 and initially returned the first one but have decided to keep this second one.

My sets do not have pink around the edges at all but mine have a slight green area in the middle of the screen. My first set was more noticeable than the one I have now. I can really only see it on a pure white or grey screen. I have had multiple posters tell me that things like this eventually lessen and sometimes even go away as the panel ages. I noticed that both my first set and the current one were manufactured in September so I am guessing it is going to be an issue for the entire batch produced during that month.

Since my current set is better than my first and it is so much trouble returning it and waiting for another I have decided to keep it. Its not bad enough to affect my normal viewing and hopefully eventually goes away all together.

As for buzzing, my set buzzes on white slides with the contrast at 100% but during normal viewing I can never hear it buzz.
TennisFreak is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dierkdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

uh.... i wont be "fixing" anything myself.... the product either comes perfect or it gets returned.
aside from that, doesnt everyone buy a warranty on expensive purchases?
the purpose of my thread was to ask if the pink tint is common to all ST50s or if by returning mine and getting another, i may get one with zero pink tint and hopefully less buzz.
it was also to ask if the GT50s maybe have a lesser chance of this happening due to better quality control/ use of panels with less flaws.
the bit about the GT50 having more input lag is blatantly false. the ST50 and GT50 use the exact same panel in their production. they will perform exactly the same, with the same settings. the only difference in panels could be, like i said, better quality control on the GT50s so you get a panel with possibly less "flaws".

Easily understand the desire to have a "perfect panel" - but you are setting yourself up for Endless Disappointment if that is your Standard. Not even the Elites - whether the older Pioneer plasmas, or the newer Sharp LCDs - were (are) "Perfect," despite their Top-of-the-Line Reputations & PRICING....

What we end up with - instead of "perfection" - is a panel whose FLAWS we are either willing to live with, or which we personally do not "see" (or Hear!), for Whatever reason(s).

........................

Actually, most people do not purchase a warranty on any of their purchases - "expensive" or not (what is "expensive" is a relative term, of course).
We like to purchase from CostCo (2 year warranty on HDTVs) and/or with American Express (adds a year to mfg warranty - as do some other credit cards - although admittedly mixed reports on how well that actually works in the event of a loss).
But we've never purchased an "Extended Warranty" on any of our HDTVs: the vast majority of electronic failures show up within the first year (and usually within the first 30 - 90 days), or else Some Number Of Years Down The Road - and probably beyond the term of most Ext Warr policies.
Most of the third-party warranties also contain significant "out" clauses that limit the liability of the issuing company.

Obviously there are exceptions to this: some products, or products from certain Manufacturers, tend to have a higher percentage of failures, and if one chooses to buy from this category - perhaps due to price considerations - then perhaps it makes sense to factor in the cost of an extended warranty when comparing the bottom line.
...............

"BUZZ" is a much discussed topic, with opinions ranging from "NO Plasma Should Buzz" to "ALL Plasma panels Buzz to SOME degree." I fall into the latter category, as that has been our experience - with well over a dozen plasma panels in the immediate family (not counting Friends or Extended Family....).

Still, have never experienced plasma buzzing that was Bothersome, at a Normal Viewing Distance, with Normal Program material, and above a Normal Listening level....
Our 60ST50 buzzs/hums (as do / have all of the 7 other sets we've had in house), but with Normal Program Material I can only hear it - in a QUIET ROOM (Audio Muted) - either Behind the panel, or literally from a few inches in front of the panel. No. 1 Son, otoh, says he can hear the buzz, under the same circumstance, from within about 2 - 3 feet of the panel.

Given a normal viewing distance of 9feet - and the fact that we seldom WATCH the set with Muted Audio - would state that "buzzing is not a problem" for this panel. But it DOES exist.
.............

Also note that a fair number of owners have reported that their Buzzing was Resolved, via one process or another: tightening interior or exterior screws; replacing a power supply or other faulty board; removing CFL lights or other "noisy" electronics from the same circuit (or even other HH circuits); plugging the set into an AVR....

For an otherwise "perfect" set, would certainly take the chance on a Svc Call to see whether an Easy Fix could stop the buzz: it is a pain exchanging panels, and no guarantees what the new one might bring.

And, if by some chance the CAUSE of the Buzz/Hum is External to the set itself, you might well replace a Dozen sets and still end up with the same problem.

.................

Your report of PINK TINT Around the Edges sounds distressingly familiar: that was a fairly common problem with 2011 Pan plasmas - although less "universal" than the infamous Green Blobs / Green Tint.
IF it were our set - and, again IF the Pink Tint were the only bothersome flaw - I would Aggressively Age the panel, as long as within the return period - to find out whether the Tint Increased or Decreased (either in area, and/or intensity). We had 2011 panels for which the Pink grew BETTER as the panel aged, and ones for which it grew Worse.

No idea WHY, for either outcome. But on the two sets (we know of) for which the pink grew better, it has remained better - and is not a problem with either panel.

Still, have read only a handful of reports of Pink Tint on 2012 panels, so it SEEMS Logical to expect that a replacement would be tint free - unless some gremlin has crept into the manufacturing process. eek.gif

....................

Suppose it is Possible that panels for the GT50 series are "preferentially selected," with the balance going to the ST50 models. Such a process has been employed in the past (at least by other companies) - with those parts that meet or exceed certain "Specs" being designated for a "Premier" model, while the balance are shuttled over to the Mainline or Bargain models...

Such a practice usually results in the Premier devices having Tighter Specs - and more uniform performance - while lower models will display a wider range of specs / performance.

NOTE: Have NO idea whether or not Panasonic actually attempts to do this - or even if there is a Practical "test" that would tell them which panels are Superior.

But would not be at all surprised if SOMEONE on this board knows the answer to both of these questions! wink.gif
Dierkdr is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dameaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post

I just purchased a 60 ST50 and initially returned the first one but have decided to keep this second one.
My sets do not have pink around the edges at all but mine have a slight green area in the middle of the screen. My first set was more noticeable than the one I have now. I can really only see it on a pure white or grey screen. I have had multiple posters tell me that things like this eventually lessen and sometimes even go away as the panel ages. I noticed that both my first set and the current one were manufactured in September so I am guessing it is going to be an issue for the entire batch produced during that month.
Since my current set is better than my first and it is so much trouble returning it and waiting for another I have decided to keep it. Its not bad enough to affect my normal viewing and hopefully eventually goes away all together.
As for buzzing, my set buzzes on white slides with the contrast at 100% but during normal viewing I can never hear it buzz.

see, mine buzzes during normal viewing. like when i am at the dashboard of my XBOX, or last night when i was watching TRON and they were in Kevin Flynn's hideout that is all white. it buzzes EXTRA loud when i turn on 3D.
Dameaus is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well disappointing news for me I guess. This weekend I watched my set a lot and was really enjoying it. I went as far as to complete my home theater setup and perform audio calibration for my surround sound on my Denon receiver.

Then I decided to go ahead and try out some recommended TV calibration settings and I wanted to go with CNets first try then maybe try D Nice settings.

After inputting all the CNets settings I noticed big changes in my panel.

First I noticed a dark band about 1/2 inch wide on the right side of my screen running top to bottom about 1 inch from the edge. After playing with settings I found that the lower the contrast was set the worse the band became. I never noticed it before because I had the contrast at 100% which makes it almost completely go away.

Second the faint green blob in the middle of my screen practically went away and was really reduced to just a slightly (very slightly) darker section of the screen when looking at a white/grey background.
BUT I also noticed at the same time the edges of the screen also now seemed to have a pink tint!!!! LOL I traded green tinted middle for pink tinted edges.

Third, for the first time I noticed some image retention. I watched the Cowboys game last night and this morning when I turned the slides on I could see lots of image retention from the game. As I ran slides I started to noticed that IR going away and I even watched a little Netflix this morning to see what would happen and by the time I left for work the IR was almost imperceptible so I feel pretty confident it will be gone by the time I get home.

So needless to say I am torn right now. I reset everything to default settings on custom mode and will be running slides during the day and then watching regular TV content at night to try and age the panel even more aggressively. One thing for sure is that I can definitely tell the panel is changing as it ages and I watch it.

The pink/green issues are really not too big of a concern for me as I cant ever see any of that when I watch a movie or TV.
The dark band on the right side of the screen is a huge concern for me as I can definitely notice that when watching regular content.
TennisFreak is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Member
 
fcwdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

is this just something you have to deal with on this set, or is it possible to get a panel without this issue? i have seen tons of threads about this, and mine has pretty significant pinking around the edges of the panel. the entire top left corner, about 3" out from the bezel, and literally the entire right side 3-4" out from the bezel and bottom of the TV. it isnt apparent in most viewing conditions, but when there is a solid white or grey screen.... you can definitely see it.
the set does buzz quite a bit as well, i can hear it from 9ft away when volume is low. just wondering if i should return the TV and get another (BB is backordered so i would have to wait a week or more) or if this is just something you have to deal with. would the GT50 be less likely to have this problem? like maybe they have better quality panels, or more quality control measures?

I went through a couple of VT30s with the same problem. Never got a better one, but picked up other problems (dead pixels, noisy fan, etc.). Here are some screen shots from a cnet test on the 2012:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/

If you look critically at the VT50 and GT50 screens I think you will see the same pattern as yours. I recommend just keeping it (as I did) and accept it as a limitation of the technology. For the most part you will be the only one who will notice the issue.
fcwdev is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off