Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Like this:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/TH-42PF50U.asp

I'm tired of LCD motion issues, but 50" is too large for me. So it appears this 42" pro display is my only option. But before I go paying $400 more for one of these pro displays with less inputs and features than a 50" "TV" type... I'd like some input.

I'm worried about IR and also finding calibration settings for this thing if I do buy it. I guess I'd just like a bit of advice. I don't really want to have to worry about IR, but if these "pro" displays are better in that respect then I will likely get one.

I miss my CRTs frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
The pro units are no more or less prone to IR than the consumer models since they use the exact same core plasma panel module before the model-specific on-board electronics are added. The PF50 would have the same panel as the discontinued TC-P42UT50. Most people report little or no IR on the 2012 models (including myself), but some people are having issues with persistent IR so it seems to be hit or miss.

I don't know if the PF50 has an AR Filter or not (they usually listed it on previous pro models but there's no mention of it on the PF50 specs) so it may be very reflective like the UT50 series is (which doesn't have an AR Filter).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I keep this room quite dim, so an anti-reflective coating probably isn't necessary for me...

Now I just need to decide if it is worth it to me to go through the trouble of ordering that pro model plasma and risk having to deal with possible IR to get rid of the stop-and-hold effect I keep noticing on LCDs.

Thanks Randy.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a 50" Panasonic industrial plasma from three years ago. Never had a problem with it. I wanted something that was bigger and with better black levels, so I bought the consumer version of the plasma. Take into consideration that the industrial plasma is the screen alone. It does not come with a stand or any speakers. It is simply a bare screen, literally. The consumer 2012 Panasonics are all 3D ready, meaning that one only has to buy the glasses, either active or passive. The current industrial versions are 3D ready but you have to buy an IR transmitter which the last time that I checked was a cool $618, plus the glasses that were close to $100 each. You would getter performance with the consumer version while the professional displays are essentially bullet proof, meaning that they will run 24/7 which is what a professional would want. The Panasonic industrial plasmas come with a 2 yr warranty vs 1 yr for the consumer versions. Would suggest that you buy the consumer version.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

fookoo. thanks for the input.

Really though... the only reason I'm looking at a pro model is the consumer 42" ones can't be found anymore and 50" is too large for a small room.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

Really though... the only reason I'm looking at a pro model is the consumer 42" ones can't be found anymore and 50" is too large for a small room.

If you have to have a plasma, then you are probably out of luck. But for that size screen, you can just do a search in Amazon and there are other non-plasma screens available, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_10?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=42+inch+tv+1080p&sprefix=42%22+plasma%2Celectronics%2C296

and those will come with speakers and a stand, unlike the industrial plasma. The least that you will have to buy with an industrial plasma is a stand, especially made for that display only, assuming that you have a home theater system run through an AVR. If you are going to wall mount, then you don't need the stand. Otherwise, you would have to buy the Panasonic speakers that are capable of being powered by the display or a sound bar. Those two accessories alone are probably > $300.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been considering the TH-50PF50 but the price on the TC-P55VT50 is dropping due to the VT60's coming out soon. Have not previously considered consumer sets as I don't typically need or use their feature set. (Use my HT for sound exclusively, don't stream movies or music, use as my PC monitor) Anyone know how these two models compare purely on picture quality. It's my main concern with the TV I eventually buy
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 AM

Liked: 11
Panasonics pro plasmas make excellent PC monitors because unlike consumer televisions they allow the full RGB color space, have no internal subsampling giving you four times the color resolution and for gaming there is virtually no input lag

I own the 50PH9UK and none who see it can believe it is "only" 1366x768 because with the full color space all fine details are preserved, in a HTPC setup madVR processing can even 'add back' color detail that is lost with 4:2:2 compression used in blu-ray and other lossy formats for a refined picture not possible on a television cool.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
I have the same pro model as Nicky and can attest to the comments made. The picture is still outstanding after 6 years + of service. Never had a problem with the unit since day 1.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays