Recommend a matte plasma. Or should I go LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a plasma guy, but my 50" Panny has reflections from living room windows which are extremely distracting. Are there any plasmas (60"+) with matte screens?

I know the obvious solution is to switch to LED. Are they all matte screens? I'm worried about motion blur and diminished viewing angle, or have current sets solved that issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

I'm a plasma guy, but my 50" Panny has reflections from living room windows which are extremely distracting.

What is the model number of your Plasma? Knowing this can help us tell you if the current models are more or less reflective than yours. Are you seeing the reflection of the actual windows in your screen? Or just the light coming in? Even the best Plasmas will have a hard time if you can see big bright windows mirrored in your screen.

Quote:
Are there any plasmas (60"+) with matte screens?

There are no Plasmas with a matte screen. But the mid-to-high-end Panasonics and Samsungs have a pretty good Anti-Reflective Filter.

Quote:
I know the obvious solution is to switch to LED. Are they all matte screens?

No. Actually very few LED LCD TVs have matte screens - most of the current models now have glossy reflective mirror-like screens to give the image more depth.

Quote:
I'm worried about motion blur and diminished viewing angle, or have current sets solved that issue?

Nope.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What is the model number of your Plasma? Knowing this can help us tell you if the current models are more or less reflective than yours. Are you seeing the reflection of the actual windows in your screen? Or just the light coming in? Even the best Plasmas will have a hard time if you can see big bright windows mirrored in your screen.
There are no Plasmas with a matte screen. But the mid-to-high-end Panasonics and Samsungs have a pretty good Anti-Reflective Filter.
No. Actually very few LED LCD TVs have matte screens - most of the current models now have glossy reflective mirror-like screens to give the image more depth.
Nope.

Thank you for your insight Randy.

It's a TH-50PX60U. I see actual reflection from the windows, and the TV is like a mirror with some brightness loss. So I'm hoping for much less reflection in my next TV.

Do the current U50 and ST50 Panny plasmas have anti-reflective?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM

I hate to say it, but have you thought of shutters for your windows? It may be cheaper. If it is as bad as you say it is, you will also have reflection problems from a LED set. So, you may not be satisfied with that either.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

There are no Plasmas with a matte screen..

Actually, the LG 60PM9700 has a matte screen. That's not to say, however, that the reflections will be any better/worse.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

..... It's a TH-50PX60U. I see actual reflection from the windows, and the TV is like a mirror with some brightness loss. So I'm hoping for much less reflection in my next TV. Do the current U50 and ST50 Panny plasmas have anti-reflective?

The U models (U50 and UT50) do not have an AR Filter......

I have a GT50 (same AR Filter as the ST50 and VT50) and a PX50U (virtually the same AR Filter as your PX60U). The AR Filter on my GT50 is very different than the one on my PX50U and they act differently. In the afternoon when the room is bright the PX50U's filter disperses (mutes) the sharp reflections in the screen better than my GT50 does, but the PX50U's image gets more washed out where the GT50 remains very clear and that extra clarity makes the screen more "mirror-like" so windows reflected in the screen are a little more defined than on the PX50U. But since the GT50 is much brighter with much higher contrast i don't notice the reflections as much as on the PX50U unless there's a dark scene whereupon it reflects kinda like a dark mirror. I get a LOT of light in my room in the afternoons, but i don't have any windows that are reflected in the screen. The GT50 is much more watchable in the afternoon than my PX50U was (it's in the den now). See my pics below to get an idea of how bright my man room gets.

The bottom line is that anything bright that is being reflected in the screen (bright windows, bright kitchen, light-colored sunlit walls or furniture etc) will be a challenge for any Plasma TV. It's even worse with most of the current LCD and LED LCD TVs which now have glossy reflective screens like the U50/UT50 series does but there are still a few matte screen LCDs on the market. My buddy has bright windows behind his couch and a few years ago we both determined that a matte-screen LCD was a better option than Plasma, but when we got it all set up we were a little shocked to see those windows created a big round white blurry blob on the screen and the image was pretty washed out even with the screen brightness cranked way up. His wife ended up installing darker window treatments to control the light coming in those windows anyway.

My best recommendation is to go to various stores and look at various models and see how mirror-like their screens look in bright and dark scenes and compare them to one another. Even just looking at reflections of other TVs that are behind you in the isles will give you a good idea of how reflective a particular model is.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Randy, thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Quote:

See my pics below to get an idea of how bright my man room gets.

The pictures aren't showing up for me. Can you post them again?

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page