Guidance on a New set, upgrading from S2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Guidance on a New set, upgrading from S2

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

joeybutts's Avatar joeybutts
11:18 AM Liked: 14
post #1 of 5
11-13-2012 | Posts: 377
Long story short, my Panasonic 65" S2 was stolen and just received the settlement.

I loved that S2 and am wondering what is the equivalent and also a step up from that? I have been eyeing the GT50 and ST50 and besides the THX, is there any difference?

Thanks for any help. Also, I don't mind stepping down a size as well to keep a few dollars for other A/V toys.
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy
11:31 AM Liked: 136
post #2 of 5
11-13-2012 | Posts: 1,452
The GT50 has a wider array of picture adjustments/settings and a different design; aside from those two things and THX, the panel is the same and picture quality is nearly identical. If you don't like to tweak with settings and don't plan to have your TV calibrated, the THX on the GT is very nice to have...but I wouldn't base my entire purchase on it. I'd take the GT anyway based solely on the fact that I'm not too keen on the ST's design, but if you like the frame, but that's purely subjective.

The smarter money would be spent on the ST50, and spend the savings on other toys.
joeybutts's Avatar joeybutts
01:09 PM Liked: 14
post #3 of 5
11-13-2012 | Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The GT50 has a wider array of picture adjustments/settings and a different design; aside from those two things and THX, the panel is the same and picture quality is nearly identical. If you don't like to tweak with settings and don't plan to have your TV calibrated, the THX on the GT is very nice to have...but I wouldn't base my entire purchase on it. I'd take the GT anyway based solely on the fact that I'm not too keen on the ST's design, but if you like the frame, but that's purely subjective.
The smarter money would be spent on the ST50, and spend the savings on other toys.

Thanks!! Are you saying the GT50 and the S2 are the same, or the GT50 and the ST50 are the same?

I guess my decision becomes.....Would you go GT50 in a 60" or ST50 in a 65"? I'm thinking GT50 in a 60".....................
adupree's Avatar adupree
01:23 PM Liked: 18
post #4 of 5
11-13-2012 | Posts: 228
The GT50 and ST50 are very similar. I wouldn't say the S2 is equivalent to either.
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy
01:38 PM Liked: 136
post #5 of 5
11-13-2012 | Posts: 1,452
Yeah, what I meant was either will be leaps and bounds above your S2. The anti glare filter is way better on the ST/GT than your old S2...I recall the S2's filter giving the image a sort of "milky" look...none of that on the 2012 models.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread