Underwhelmed by Panasonic 55" ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've run the D-nice break in slides and configured the display to match the D-nice settings, but I still feel like the image isn't very crisp for HD programming on Comcast. I'm also finding the picture overly muddy and perhaps a bit green? Am I crazy?

I have a 42" Samsung PDP (S2452 I believe) that looks great hooked up to the same source. I can't believe the ST50 should look this bad. What am I missing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh View Post

I've run the D-nice break in slides and configured the display to match the D-nice settings, but I still feel like the image isn't very crisp for HD programming on Comcast. I'm also finding the picture overly muddy and perhaps a bit green? Am I crazy?
I have a 42" Samsung PDP (S2452 I believe) that looks great hooked up to the same source. I can't believe the ST50 should look this bad. What am I missing?
Thanks
A real calibration. wink.gif
Plugging in settings won't work well on every panel due to panel to panel variations. Also, some people are used to an overly bright picture, or a picture that has a reddish or bluish grayscale, and when they compare it to a properly calibrated set, it might look like there's a greenish tint. But one thing is for sure, a properly calibrated set should not look green... it should look natural. Of course it depends on the content you're viewing. If things really do look off, I would zero the W/B settings. If it doesn't look crisp, up the sharpness to 10-20. If it looks dull or dim, up the contrast a few notches. If you're not getting it calibrated, don't hesitate to tweak it to your liking.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I will look around for local pros. I am starting with a quality display, so I guess there's no reason to not expect to it to look fantastic when calibrated correctly (by someone who knows what the heck they're doing).
post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Could also be the source. Have you tried playing DVD's or BD's?

I'm not sure what DNices settings are, but have you tried to reset the custom to defaults and try our CNET's calibration?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I did just try the CNET calibration and it looks better. Green tint is gone, whites are whiter. My source is my HTPC (which provides my HDTV programming as well as BluRay). I'm using a GT430 (set to 1920x1080) over hdmi. BR discs look good. My kids' cartoons still look a little too vivid.

I just tried SportsCenter and the ticker bar is still a bit blurry for my tastes. I raised the sharpness a bit and it seems to have improved.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page