Life expectancy for a Pioneer PDP-5010FD? Should I extend the warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide if I should spend $360 to extend the warranty on my TV from Best Buy for another 2 years...

I got the TV as a floor model back in late 2008, and it gets quite a bit of use - have had no problems whatsoever.

This TV was a replacement for a Philips 42" TV, which also had the Best Buy warranty - it had died and Best Buy gave me full purchase price of original TV to apply to new TV - nevermind that prices had dropped tremendously between 2005 and 2008, they still allowed me to choose a TV that was $2,500 which is how I went from philips to pioneer.

I will probably skip the warranty, enjoy the TV for whatever life it has left, but if there is high chance with so many hours put on this TV I will run into problems, would be nice to pay $360 with chance of recouping $2500 later..

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
well if you wanna pay 360 dollars and have peace of mind then do it. just make sure you get every thing in writeing
post #3 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Something else to consider: Best Buy might not even be around by the time your Pioneer goes belly up.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Good point Vinnie. Very good point.

Can someone educate me on how to check hours and/or get to service menu on this model? Google not being as helpful as I expected...see links on how to do with newer Pioneers but not the 5010FD
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM

@shadestreet, I have a 6010FD and was looking to see if there was a way to check the hours as well. I know there is
a way, as I read it somewhere, just cannot find it myself, will be glad to know if someone on these forums can tell us.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Something else to consider: Best Buy might not even be around by the time your Pioneer goes belly up.

All of their plans are backed by an insurance company. So even if they to close you'll get your money.

Ignorance is a choice
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Mine still running fine, bought around the same time. Only issue I have is at some point a year ro so ago, this started: when I turn on the Bluray/receiver/tv with everything off using a Harmony, the screen stays dark and I have to unplug the TV to reset. If I start with 'watch TV' as in Dish, then 'watch bluray', all works OK. I suspect some HDMI issue though.

HTH
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page