May be in the Market for a new TV, Advice Needed please! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Panasonic TC-55(or 60)ST50 vs Samsung PN60E6500 vs Sony KDL-55HBX850?
Panasonic ST50 2 66.67%
Samsung PNE6500 1 33.33%
Sony HBX850 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, this possible purchase all stems from our exceedingly problematic Toshiba 55SV670U tv, if you would like to give any advice to me on that, here's the link to the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439390/toshiba-55sv670u-help-please-i-know-its-old

So jumping ahead, assuming that Toshiba is a lost cause, we are going to be looking fora new TV. We are sticking to quality brands after what happened with Toshiba. Right now we have it narrowed to the Panasonic 55 or 60 ST50, the Samsung PN60E6500, and the Sony KDL-55HX850. The TV would be in a basement, though it's not completely underground, there are windows. But from what I have read, all 3 of those TVs handle some sunlight very well. We like to play video games, and I have heard to stay away from plasmas if that is so, but I read that nowadays image-retention and burn-in are much rarer today. Is that so? What should I do to prevent it? We also like to watch sports (hockey, football, the usual). I emailed David Katzmaier from CNET and he said that it was so much less of an issue that we should just use it normally from the get-go, but I figured it'd be good to see what others have to say. We have a Fujitsu plasma from 2005 and we can't remember doing anything to prevent burn-in (though we don't play games on that TV). Or should we just skip plasmas and pay $800 more for the Sony (compared to the 55 inch Panasonic)? If the usual plasma issues are so rare then they seem like the better buy, but that Sony looks very nice.

Anyways, to recap, Panasonic TC-55(or 60)ST50 vs Samsung PN60E6500 vs Sony KDL-55HX850. Any advice is great, thanks in advance!

(PS - I am obviously new to these forums, so I posted this thread in both the LCD and Plasma forums, so sorry in advance if that's not accepted standard for posting threads like these)

- Just an update, I meant the Sony KDL-55HX850, not HBX850...not sure where I was getting the B from but I'll chalk it up to these confusing and awful names for TVs nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
IMO, best PQ with best reliability is the Panny ST50. Check out the dedicated threads for those brands and go look at them in stores.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's what I've read, but do you think I'll have an issue with image retention/burn-in? We don't do it often, but if we want to have some unhealthy 6 hour game session, I don't want to have to worry about it. And if I have time this weekend, I'm going to try and pop over to Best Buy and check them out.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page