Plasma in a bright room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I know Plasma TVs aren't the best in bright rooms, but I have not found an LCD /led TV that I really like, to many inherent problems.
to narrow view angle, edge light etc. some say you get more glare from Matte screens rather than Gloss, TV is only on part of the day,
looking at Panasonic PC-P55ST50, will b in a corner with slider to left and behind by 12 feet, and West window couple feet to right siting about 10ft away along NW bay wind, shady till late afternoon.
my, son has 2011 55st30, which doesn't seem to bad in fairly bright room just a bit of wash out.
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. have a Panasonic LCD now, OK but as u all know color and blacks not as good.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM

I bought my GT50 a couple weeks ago and my biggest concern going in was screen glare. It has turned out to be a non issue. I usually only watch TV in the evening and have seen no glare. Last Sunday I watched a football game during a sunny day in San Diego with the curtains open. There was definitely glare on the screen, gut it didn't seem to bother me. It's like I knew it was there, but didn't notice it unless I was looking for it. The colors on the screen seemed fine too.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
I'm in the same boat. I have south facing windows and we don't even have curtains. TV is in a corner and we have a plasma now but looking to upgrade to something around 50-55" - Glare is my main issue and any other rec's appreciated!

SCHEX
post #4 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM

55" vt30 here in a bright open room. I do get some reflections but they don't really bother me. The picture is great. I have had a good bit of trouble with IR and have to be careful with it. Been shopping for led sets but on a whole they just look like garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcula57 View Post

Hi, I know Plasma TVs aren't the best in bright rooms

Well that depends on the room......

Quote:
I have not found an LCD /led TV that I really like, to many inherent problems. to narrow view angle, edge light etc. some say you get more glare from Matte screens rather than Gloss,

My friend has bright windows behind his couch and during the day his LCD's matte-screen has a big white round blob of light that really washes out the image so matte isn't all that great with direct light reflections. Glossy screens won't get washed out nearly as bad, but the reflections will be very mirror like - especially on darker on-screen content and darker scenes. The ST50/GT50 screen is still reflective, but nowhere near as much as the glossy screen TVs.

Bright rooms affect different TVs in different ways - but it's never a good thing regardless. If you have a light source (bright window, kitchen lights, etc) that will be directly reflected in the screen then you'll see it to some extent.

Quote:
TV is only on part of the day, looking at Panasonic PC-P55ST50, will be in a corner with slider to left and behind by 12 feet, and West window couple feet to right siting about 10ft away along NW bay wind, shady till late afternoon. my, son has 2011 55st30, which doesn't seem to bad in fairly bright room just a bit of wash out.

The ST50 is a lot brighter than an ST30 and has higher contrast too, so it should fare even better in a bright room than his ST30 does.

Here's my old PX50U back in 2005, sitting under my west-facing window in the late afternoon and it was still plenty watchable, but obviously it's not the best environment to be watching TV. My 50GT50 handles the light even better.....(GT50 has the same exact Panel and AR Filter as the ST50):

900x900px-LL-73ff7c82_Plasma_in_Afternoon_Sunlight_5-7-06_a.jpeg

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the help. I am thinking of doing a 55" - my unit is opposite of the windows and at an angle. I had the mounts custom made once I switched from a CRT - not sure I can mount a panny this way any more. I am thinking of moving the speakers and doing a articulating wall / corner mount.
Here is how it looks[IMG ALT="This is my finished project.
(until I get my next new component) LOL"]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/6065/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
close up shot of 2" columnview of my living room and back of panny from dining area

SCHEX
post #7 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM

this is the stand that came with the panny
shows the raw materials before mounting on the shelf
couple more shots you can see the plasma on the right as you look toward the windows.
I don't own curtains!

SCHEX
post #8 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by schex View Post

Thanks for the help. I am thinking of doing a 55" - my unit is opposite of the windows and at an angle. I had the mounts custom made once I switched from a CRT - not sure I can mount a panny this way any more. I am thinking of moving the speakers and doing a articulating wall / corner mount.
Here is how it looks.....

OMG Schex - Flashback!! I remember those pictures from from like 10 years ago before i even joined AVS (i lurked for 2-3 years before finally registering and posting). Bruzzi (one of my early AVS e-Mentors) was involved if i remember correctly - ah the good old days of quality posters before all the knuckleheads found AVS biggrin.gif

The current consumer model Panasonics have completely different method of attaching the pedestal base (they use a 3" wide steel blade in a slot at the center along the bottom) so your posts won't work with the new units.

Anyway, if that were MY setup, i would completely tear out that curved built-in shelf and refinish the walls into a conventional 90-degree corner, then hang the TV from an articulated arm mount on that wall and place a nice ~72" wide credenza with wheels underneath to house the equipment and place the left and right speakers on top flanking the TV, with the center channel speaker in a center compartment inside the credenza.

Or just forget about the wall mount and set the TV right on top the rolling credenza. The wheels would enable you to roll the whole assembly around that nook area and angle the TV away from those windows.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Randy, I just read your post with my wife sitting here. OMG is right!! Yes it was Brucer who helped me out so much (as well as everyone else here)
Truly a community of helpful interested folks. Brucer actually came up with the design, submitted plans and drawings. Made the posts AND mailed them to me and I had never sent him a DIME!!!! They showed up on my doorstep. I was blown away and sent a check as fast as I could. We still love the set up. Back then I was ahead of the curve, with an ED plasma - MONITOR - It cost about $2400!!! We put another Panny 42" on the same mounts. It's a 720p and we just would like to upgrade and go bigger and try and reduce reflections. Wife not keen on the idea of ripping out the built in. I removed the wall shelf on the left as I no longer have a VCR or tape player!!! Will put up some new pix - maybe move it to a build forum? BRUCER ya still around??? Schex

SCHEX
post #10 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, for the photos, these are the rooms and windows around. I am going to put it in the corner where the tree is
at an angle, actually my wife liked the way the tv on the built in corner, as a matter of fact she thinks we aught to do the same thing, and build a wall from divider to wall. Great as if putting in tile and carpet at this time of year isn't enough. oh well does look great though.

post #11 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 215
What is the brightest plasma of all times? What would it look like in torch mode?
post #12 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Same issue here, I have a st50 in my basement but need one for my living room. There is a baywindow right behind the couch which faces SE and the new TV will be placed in front of the couch.
I really like the st50 but I'm concerned about the glare so I'm considering and LED.

My options are to get another st50 and pray it's ok or go with:
LG LM7600
LG LM8600 (although I've read the 7600 is better)
Samsung ES6150, 6500 or 7100 or maybe 7500. I think the screen finish on the 7000's is glossy?

Attached are photos of the room showing the window and couch which is directly infront of the TV. (cloudy day 4pm)

Any suggestions? Do you think the Plasma will reflect too much light?

Thanks,

post #13 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM

We really like the corner and it's probably the best spot as far as sun goes. Here are some pix I took today. One is where I sit and the other gives you the rear view. That is my subwoofer back there and a small back/uplight. The problem with the corner mounting was getting a stand which did not protrude over the edge as well as having a spot for my center channel speaker. Both probs solved very well by Brucer. My thinking is wide open on a new set but with almost 58" across the front edge - I can go bigger with moving the speakers and mounting another way. Are those Vizio's LCD? Here is the view from "my seat"

SCHEX
post #14 of 21 Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,
Randy, I haven't really looked at the GT50, but I will. The VT50 looks really great and probably be the best of
the bunch but, better if it came down a few hundred $$. Thinking that if I can keep it darker behind
me I won't get as much reflection, just from the side, sat my wife's laptop up there and
while there was a fair amount, I think it might work. Can always return it right! thanks for your Help have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
post #15 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Well I ended up trying out the LG7600 47" to see how the glare was with the matte finish I can close the blinds horizontal blinds but there is still a lot of light. Now I"m not acutally sure it is any better than a plasma would be. The picutre quality is pretty good and I really like the interface menus which are much nicer than my ST50's. The apps load really, really slow and I'm wondering if a dual core GT50 or the LM8600 would run load faster.

I think I'm doomed due to the window and TV placement with any set.

Below is a photo of the set showing reflections. Given that there is alot of glare I think I'm going to return it for a plasma. I hate to do this becasue I got a great deal on it at Microcenter for 830.00.

post #16 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Looked in Costco today - The plasmas have a great pic but the glare from them was much worse than any of the LCD's I saw - think I may be going to the "other side" liked some of the 60" models and think I can fit one. just need to find the right mounts..

SCHEX
post #17 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

So out of curiosity what did you end up with?
post #18 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Ha ha .. of course I had to make this really hard! The unit I like is the Vizio E60Li-A3. It is top rated, does not have 3D but is smart and is just under 1K.
I put cardboard cut to a 60" screen size in front of my plasma and wife says yay - so its a go.
I am still trying to figure out how I am going to fish the speaker wire - I don't have a solid wall behind one side of the unit so I may have to run it up a little column, then across the wall through studs - yuck!! I found a corner mount at mono price which I think is what I am gonna use to mount it - hate to not use the custom steel rods!view of my living room and back of panny from dining area

SCHEX
post #19 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Here is a pic from the front - I want to move the front speakers up above the corners of the screen you see there
left one is easy - the right one.... not so much
any ideas??

SCHEX
post #20 of 21 Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM

How do you like the vizio? I looking for a TV for a large porch with vaulted ceiling and windows on 3 sides -- in other words, a horrible place for a TV. Even worse, I want to be able to watch baseball games and football games during the day in there. So glare and bright room considerations are high. I was leaning towards the Sharp LC-60LE640U or the Vizio you mentioned (Vizio E601I-A3). But I did not fall in love with either of the pictures after seeing them in person. If the matte screen really does make a difference in a bright room setup, however, that will probably trump the better picture of non-matte LEDs and plasma. So I am interested to hear how you like the Vizio.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Hi wern - well it's not a plasma. But thats both good and bad. I need to play with the settings a bit more but as far as the glare goes the Viz is WAY better. I could look out my windows through the plasma but not true with the Viz. The biggest differences is I get some judder with tennis or golf balls, I think there are settings to correct just haven't done it yet. Also off angle viewing is not as good but I knew that. That said we really like it!! 60" is the new 42" haha
This is a crappy pic but shows the new set up.
Schex

SCHEX
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page