Is a Plasma right for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been extremely tempted with the PQ advantages and price of the Pioneer Plasma 50" GT/ST, and was ready to pull the trigger but as I researched more I wondered if what I want to do with my TV works for a plasma?

I will be moving from a 32" LED Sony BR6.

• Here is what I do with my TV currently:
• I watch Soccer, tennis and hockey in HD. Very little other TV.
• I watch a lot of old DVD movies. TV series from the 70s and 80s.
• Blu-ray movies if available.
• I use my TV for my HTPC and am also on the web with it from time to time. I play my music off of this.
• I rarely play games but probably will in the future.
• The way my room is, I sit about 7' from the TV....I can maybe stretch that to 8' due to my room config.

I am leaning towards the Panny over the Samsung Plasma. With my habits of watching, would either one make sense. Is the difference between the two that big? Is there anything else I need to consider that I may be missing about Plasmas( minus IR/burn-in and their lack of brightness)?

Normally I would just get the Panny and return it if I didn’t like it, but due to the nature of where I live what I order is what I get, since it will be overseas.

If plasma is out of the question it looks like the best image LCD/LED is the 46" Sony KDL850. Would anything else come close?

Thanks,
Ser

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

A hasty bump

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #3 of 18 Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
LCD is the best for you, best for PC use, no worries about Plasma IR/burnin/low brightness daytime/line bleed/flikkering/dither pixel noise/rainbow/30fps frame doubling/buzzing/power consumption.
Plasma is only benefit if you use it for (Full) HD movie sources mostly, playing HD 60fps games mostly, hate LCD colors/ghosting/blur/pixel lag/input lag/viewing angle/backlight clouding/bleeding/blackness level.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got sam51e450 and Hd stuff looks good,sports is good -hockey isnt as bright as LCD but it's good.sd Stuff like sports not too good if up close.Not sure if the 43 inch looks better on sd or not( be hard to find that out).I wrote a few comments in main samsung e 450 thread

Big Bright windows,Bright lights and/or if the light does not have a good shade for the bulb is a bit of a problem.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Certainly seems each has major issues. Good to see them all laid out like that.

I can easily control the light exposure in my TV room. I am not worried about power consumption as I do not pay for power where I live....I do care from an environmental POV, but a non-issue for a TV. Since I don't have any consoles and haven't played a computer game other than a strategy game here and there the 30 FPS games are a none-issue as well at this point(I like games I just have no time to play them)

So that leaves me with these issues for each one:
  • Plasma: PC use, IR/burn-in, line bleed, flickering, dither pixel noise, rainbow, buzzing.
  • LCD:colors,ghosting, blur, pixel lag, input lag(think this is a non-issue?), back-light clouding, bleeding, blackness level.

I will look into that Samsung as well.

Why do plasma's have line bleed?

Can anyone give an explanation as to why SD looks so poor on these TVs?

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #6 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

Thanks for the info. Certainly seems each has major issues. Good to see them all laid out like that.
I can easily control the light exposure in my TV room. I am not worried about power consumption as I do not pay for power where I live....I do care from an environmental POV, but a non-issue for a TV. Since I don't have any consoles and haven't played a computer game other than a strategy game here and there the 30 FPS games are a none-issue as well at this point(I like games I just have no time to play them)
So that leaves me with these issues for each one:
  • Plasma: PC use, IR/burn-in, line bleed, flickering, dither pixel noise, rainbow, buzzing.
  • LCD:colors,ghosting, blur, pixel lag, input lag(think this is a non-issue?), back-light clouding, bleeding, blackness level.
I will look into that Samsung as well.
Why do plasma's have line bleed?
Why is PC use an issue with a Plasma? Are you talking about burn-in with a static image (like a desktop icon) or are you referring to something else?
post #7 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Why is PC use an issue with a Plasma? Are you talking about burn-in with a static image (like a desktop icon) or are you referring to something else?

Don't know to be honest. smile.gif

I just was making the assumption that having a somewhat static image on screen increases the change of burn-in/IR. Also, since a number of screens are white it would also make any buzzing noise more noticeable - for the sets that have it.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #8 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Don't know to be honest. smile.gif
I just was making the assumption that having a somewhat static image on screen increases the change of burn-in/IR. Also, since a number of screens are white it would also make any buzzing noise more noticeable - for the sets that have it.
Okay gotcha. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. I just ordered a Panny 60u50 that i'll use with my HTPC and was making sure I didn't make a mistake.
Quote:

Probably because back when TV's were like 19" 4:3 anything looks good. When SD gets blown up on a bigger screen you notice the lower resolution a lot more.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Okay gotcha. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. I just ordered a Panny 60u50 that i'll use with my HTPC and was making sure I didn't make a mistake.
Probably because back when TV's were like 19" 4:3 anything looks good. When SD gets blown up on a bigger screen you notice the lower resolution a lot more.

I am no expert, so don't take my word for the computer and HTPC use....but let me know how yours fares for HTPC.

Most of my SD is from my HTPC so I can use MADvr...not sure if that will make it look better with its upscaling than a reg DVD?

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #10 of 18 Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Plasma TV is not designed for PC use, it's for moving pictures mainly/only. LCD TV/monitor are designed for PC use.
All plasma tv's have this ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) / fluctuating brightness. Google for yourself about this.
For PC example when you open the white notepad window on the desktop, the whole brightness screen will be dimmed a bit, it depends on how high the contrast/brightness is set and some display modes, to be more or less visible. Search for yourself on youtube to see it yourself.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will look it up on Google.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #12 of 18 Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Ser_renely, I'm wondering what your choice is. I'm also on the fence about whether I want the Panasonic 55ST50 or the Sony 55HX850. There's a decent price difference between the two, but I was wondering the exact same thing as your original post: whether a plasma is right for me. I watch a lot of TV, DVDs, some blu-rays. I've got an old Sony 36XBR400 tube HDTV so this purchase will be my first flat panel. Which way are you leaning?
post #13 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Plasma TV is not designed for PC use, it's for moving pictures mainly/only. LCD TV/monitor are designed for PC use.
All plasma tv's have this ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) / fluctuating brightness. Google for yourself about this.
For PC example when you open the white notepad window on the desktop, the whole brightness screen will be dimmed a bit, it depends on how high the contrast/brightness is set and some display modes, to be more or less visible. Search for yourself on youtube to see it yourself.
Plasma works terrific for HTPC use, many of use use them with our PC's. Like any other input, dont leave static images on for days! Most of use rarely see the desktop, mine goes direct to Windows Media Center upon boot up.
I might not want to use one for an office machine, but for general web-browsing it works fine also.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 AM

Liked: 13
I'm surprised no one has touched on this:

If sports (especially fast moving ones) is one of your main concerns then plasma wins hands down. I watch a lot of hockey (well not lately), and cannot opt for LCD. I've seen hockey games at my freind's homes on very high-end (new) LCD/LED, and while they're very good, they couldn't match my 6 y/o plasma (that recently died). And while I get attracted by the vibrant and bright colors while shopping, I have to ignore my urge to purchase one knowing it won't perform to my standards during a game. Any motion blur during a game and it distracts me. I watch from puck drop till last horn, nearly every Bruins game for the last 20 years, and it bugs me if there's any discrepancies in the picture. The problem with hockey is the things that cause these discrepancies are happening quite often. Other sports aren't nearly as bad because the pace isn't so fast.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskyred View Post

Hey Ser_renely, I'm wondering what your choice is. I'm also on the fence about whether I want the Panasonic 55ST50 or the Sony 55HX850. There's a decent price difference between the two, but I was wondering the exact same thing as your original post: whether a plasma is right for me. I watch a lot of TV, DVDs, some blu-rays. I've got an old Sony 36XBR400 tube HDTV so this purchase will be my first flat panel. Which way are you leaning?

I have not made a decision yet. If I lived in the States, I would have bought the Plasma as I could return it if any issues. Unfortunately where I am at now, a return would be very difficult.

All in all, I am still thinking and researching what will be best.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #16 of 18 Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post

I'm surprised no one has touched on this:
If sports (especially fast moving ones) is one of your main concerns then plasma wins hands down. I watch a lot of hockey (well not lately), and cannot opt for LCD. I've seen hockey games at my freind's homes on very high-end (new) LCD/LED, and while they're very good, they couldn't match my 6 y/o plasma (that recently died). And while I get attracted by the vibrant and bright colors while shopping, I have to ignore my urge to purchase one knowing it won't perform to my standards during a game. Any motion blur during a game and it distracts me. I watch from puck drop till last horn, nearly every Bruins game for the last 20 years, and it bugs me if there's any discrepancies in the picture. The problem with hockey is the things that cause these discrepancies are happening quite often. Other sports aren't nearly as bad because the pace isn't so fast.

Good to know, thanks.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #17 of 18 Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some LCD's offer a PC Picture Mode (other examples being dynamic, standard, natural et al) that reduces some of the intensity that LCD/LED backlights produce. For PC-esque purposes, definitely go LCD. Otherwise, Plasma Plasma Plasma!
post #18 of 18 Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1v1deByZero View Post

Some LCD's offer a PC Picture Mode (other examples being dynamic, standard, natural et al) that reduces some of the intensity that LCD/LED backlights produce. For PC-esque purposes, definitely go LCD. Otherwise, Plasma Plasma Plasma!

I have been monitoring the amount of I use the PC for PC stuff, and it isn't as much as I initially thought. The PC connected to it is a HTPC I built and its main purpose is movies. I rarely surf the net with it, as I use my laptop for that. The only game I have played is Football manager and Civ IV....and that might be 2 games a year. I remember when I use to play two games a week, lol.

So I am leaning towards plasma at the moment.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page