In the market for a new TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I haven't been around the forum in a while but am recently in the market for a new TV. The last display I purchased (believe it or not) was a Panny TH-PX500U. I realize that this TV is a dinosaur around here but it has really been a great display for me and my family.

Alot has changed since then..I recognize that. Do you guys have any recommendations for me on next generation plasmas that I should consider now that I am back in the market? To tell you the truth, I don't even know where to start and that is why I am back here asking for your help.

A few questions if I might ask and then I'll leave you guys alone and just start reading the great information each of you provide in other threads.

What has changed with plasmas since my PX500U purchase?

Have LED and LCD technologies caught up with plasma as far as picture performance and viewing angles?

Is there a mfr that stands above the rest with plasmas these days? When I last purchased Panny and Pioneer were the clear leaders.

Is Apple close to launching their TV? Sorry if that is taboo around here.

How have the price points changed with plasmas in the last few years? Believe it or not, I paid 3100 for my PX500U when it came out and that was a good deal.

Certainly appreciate any info that you are willing to share to get me started.

Thanks for all the great info that you provide on this forum.

KurtC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
What has changed with plasmas since my PX500U purchase?
Picture quality has improved, electricity consumption has decreased, 1080p has become standard and sizes have gotten bigger.
Quote:
Have LED and LCD technologies caught up with plasma as far as picture performance and viewing angles?
They have improved but mostly, no. They can use interpolation to achieve higher frame rates to smooth motion and prevent jerking but that creates a very unnatural "soap opera" effect. LED backlighting can greatly improve LCD black levels in theory but in reality quality models are few and costly and cheap edge lit LED LCDs can be behind the fluorescent models they replaced in some respects. LED LCDs can strobe the backlight to improve motion but some people hate the flicker. There are some IPS LCD models with better viewing angles but usually they come with relatively poor back levels.

An LCD probably isn't what you want if you want a plasma substitute.
Quote:
Is Apple close to launching their TV? Sorry if that is taboo around here.
We don't know but probably not. If they do it'll be a rebadged Japanese LCD with Apple case and interface.
Quote:
Is there a mfr that stands above the rest with plasmas these days? When I last purchased Panny and Pioneer were the clear leaders.
Panasonic has opened a clear lead this year, the only exception being in the area of image retention where Samsung is ahead of LG and Panasonic. Image retention does seem to be a sample variation thing with some individual TVs being much better than others. Some people prefer the way Samsung handles standard definition upscaling but this is disputed.

Unless you're in a basement the thing to look for is a plasma with anti-glare coating. The U / UT series Panasonic plasmas don't, the ST, GT and VT do. What model's right for you really depends on what you want to do with your TV.

If you're in no particular hurry you could wait until the 2013 models come out.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Homerging,

So appreciate you getting me started here and taking the time to answer my questions. I know some of you who frequent the site get tired of us "drive bys" when we decide to pop in.

Thanks for the info.

I'm off to a good start now.

Kurt
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page