VT50 Horizontal Line Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

Just had my replacement TV set up, it has the same problem as my previous one- was wondering if anyone has had this issue- I thought it was panel specific but since I got two in a row I'm now curious. It is probably best described by looking at the pictures below, but where ever there is white text on a colored background, I get dark lines that extend horizontally, at first I only noticed it on moving pictures but now its pretty obvious on moving pictures if you know what you are looking for. It happens on any source including Vierra content (pull up a trailer on Youtube, the Bourne Legacy Trailer 2 is a good example, when the green "PG-13" screen shows up). It seemed to get worse on my first panel, but this new one (whole new set) has it pretty obviously right out of the box.

The repairman saw it before he left and is going to contact Panasonic and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone else has this issue or would mind checking it out, I'd appreciate it.

My previous set also had some pretty bad image retention, from things like Pandora on Vierra- I would not watch it for a couple of days and it would still be easily visible on other content. My first panel also had three bright spots on it, not stuck pixels, they were probably 4 inches in diameter, those are resolved so with the new set- well we will see about the IR.

Thanks for your help,

Elliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM

That's pretty bad. My vt30 had bad ir, just have to be real careful with it and run the ir reducer often.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response- the darkened lines that you see in the pictures aren't IR at all (the first panel did have IR but it is different than the issue above, and the same thing happened with a brand new panel, making me question if anyone else is experiencing this issue). If the white text in that screen were to disappear, the darkened lines would also disappear. It happens whenever there is bright text or a bright line on the screen, it extends horizontally darkening that part of the screen as above, but once the white text goes away the darkened line goes away.

Thanks again, helps appreciated!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kay View Post

Thanks for the response- the darkened lines that you see in the pictures aren't IR at all (the first panel did have IR but it is different than the issue above, and the same thing happened with a brand new panel, making me question if anyone else is experiencing this issue). If the white text in that screen were to disappear, the darkened lines would also disappear. It happens whenever there is bright text or a bright line on the screen, it extends horizontally darkening that part of the screen as above, but once the white text goes away the darkened line goes away.
Thanks again, helps appreciated!

There was no need for you to have exchanged your TV (other than the bright spots you mentioned). What you are experiencing is "Line Bleed" and it's unique to Plasma TV's. All Plasmas experience line bleed from credits appearing at the end of movies or TV shows or like in your picture where the beginning of a trailer or movie shows bright text, you will experience the dark lines. Definitely sounds like this is your first Plasma TV because you would've known this from owning one. Yes, it's annoying and odd but it's a characteristic to Plasma technology. It will not leave IR of the lines but the 2012 Panasonic's have been known to be quite prone to getting IR pretty easily. I just had my GT50's panel replaced for other reasons and my new panel is amazing. Not a single issue with Image Retention no matter how long I leave the Viera Connect menus up and I have not experienced a single hint of IR from those logos (unlike my older panel) and I watch a lot of sports. You'll get mixed opinions here about IR but I do think Panasonic is recognizing the complaints about it and is addressing them in newer upgraded panels. Sadly once a production line goes into effect the formula is not changed until the next generation of products. I think I lucked out and got a next generation panel. Don't bother calling Panasonic, they will tell you that IR is normal so they won't replace your panel unless there are other things about it that are out of spec. But just to get back to your horizontal line issue, your panel is perfectly fine. smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page