Panasonic VT50 Question from a newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my VT50 55" and I have a few questions. First, I have to say the set is beautiful. I am running slides right now and am noticing the vertical band on the right side, very faint, but visible on the dark gray slides. Is this a defect and should I return the set for a replacement? Will it get better or worse? My second question is this. The 55" seems a bit small. And I cannot afford the 65" version. Should I look at the GT50 if I want to bump up a size, or is the VT50 far and away a better set that I should be glad to own? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaplan74 View Post

I just received my VT50 55" and I have a few questions. First, I have to say the set is beautiful. I am running slides right now and am noticing the vertical band on the right side, very faint, but visible on the dark gray slides. Is this a defect and should I return the set for a replacement? Will it get better or worse? My second question is this. The 55" seems a bit small. And I cannot afford the 65" version. Should I look at the GT50 if I want to bump up a size, or is the VT50 far and away a better set that I should be glad to own? Thanks so much!!

Firstly, are you running the slides for any particular reason? Are you getting the TV prepped for a pro calibrator to tweak? If so then the VT50 would be best suited for that due to it's 10 point scale as the GT50 doesn't offer this. If you're running slides for any other reason besides prepping the TV for calibration then you're wasting your time. For that reason the GT50 would be a great buy as there really isn't that much difference between it and the VT50. The VT50 has a better filter for deeper blacks but it's not very noticeable.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am running the slides to "age" the set so I can watch any content and not have any issues with IR or burn in. I am still using the set. When I am not, I run the slides.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I am running the slides to "age" the set so I can watch any content and not have any issues with IR or burn in. I am still using the set. When I am not, I run the slides.

I kinda figured so. There is some misunderstanding on this forum about using the slides. The Pro-calibrators here specifically mention that the slides are only for aging the panel to prep it for calibration and they do nothing in regards to preventing Image Retention or reducing the chances of getting it. You're wasting your time running the slides to reduce chances of IR.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Picked up my VT50 55" yesterday with a manufactured date of 10/12 and the display is perfect at this time; no banding and/or pixel issues. If you aren't going to have the set calibrated and could use the extra 10"; (and who amongst us couldn't? lol), then switching it for the GT50 65" makes sense since you will be exchanging the set anyway due to the banding issue.
I am also running the slides and will continue to do so for 200 hours in 'torch' mode. Whether it's necessary to prevent IR or not I don't give a damn. The fact is I did the exact same procedure on both of my Pioneer Kuros and have never experienced IR; not once.
Bish
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yea I am in the same boat. Running the slides can't hurt, and I do plan on getting the set calibrated. As far as the banding is concerned, I am not sure if I should swap it out now or wait to see if it goes away. I purchased my set at Best Buy and I have 30 days to return. I've had the set for a week. I also would be swapping for a GT50 60" not 65". My wife would kill me if I came home with a set that big. So not sure if it's worth swapping for a lesser model that is slightly bigger, I mean, the VT50 is amazing, maybe I should just stick with it. Thebishman, where did you purchase your VT50 and why did you decide to go with the 55"?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yea I am in the same boat. Running the slides can't hurt, and I do plan on getting the set calibrated. As far as the banding is concerned, I am not sure if I should swap it out now or wait to see if it goes away. I purchased my set at Best Buy and I have 30 days to return. I've had the set for a week. I also would be swapping for a GT50 60" not 65". My wife would kill me if I came home with a set that big. So not sure if it's worth swapping for a lesser model that is slightly bigger, I mean, the VT50 is amazing, maybe I should just stick with it. Thebishman, where did you purchase your VT50 and why did you decide to go with the 55"?

I purchased the set from my local AV dealer whom I've bought multiple items from over the years, including the two Kuros. Best price I've seen anywhere and a handshake deal to replace the panel if there were any issues out of the box. As I've mentioned so far the panel seems perfect and I'm glad it has the 10/12 date of manufacture.
I only purchased the 55" since this panel is going over a fireplace in our new house and is an additional tv. Our main tv in the HT room is still my trusty 60" Pioneer Kuro, (first generation), which still blows people away when they come over. The only reason to replace it is when there is a product that looks as good in the 80"-90" range or if it breaks.
Bish
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page