GT50 vs e8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Complete rookie here... I've been looking for a new TV. I'll be watching a fairly large amount of sports and playing Call of Duty type 1st person games. The room it will be in is fairly dark, no direct sunlight for now

My head is spinning with the amount of information I've been coming across since I've started my research. I've really narrowed it down to these 2 sets in 50/51" models as the prices are just about the same.

Are they really 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other?

The reviews and owners' threads and calibrations seem to point that both have some small +/-'s in terms of black/white levels, input lag, features(voice control, camera etc), 3d quality, brightness, buzzing..

I really want the one that has the overall better picture(for my use) when it comes down to it. I feel the e8000 has more of a "cool" factor to it. But from what I've read it "seems" that the THX certified GT50 has an overall better picture.

Bottom line, which would would/or did you choose and why? Reading 100's of pages of forum posts and prof/amateur reviews is just making me more indecisive with all of the technical talk that I don't understand yet.

And if you think I should be looking at a particular LED model or something, feel free to let me know. I realize that I know next to nothing and am keeping my mind as open as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 AM

I'm a rookie too, so not sure this will be helpful, but you haven't gotten a response yet so figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. I bought a gt50 from amazon last night, so I haven't used mine yet. I did look at both of these in the Magnolia room at Best Buy and they both seemed great to me in a non-optimal setting but at least not out with all the other TVs. So I'd go check them out there, but for me, I think you'll be happy with either. I like Panasonic the TV company more than the Samsung TV company, no real reason why, just had Panny's in the pass and they were very good with old technology (tube). But as rookies, I doubt you'll be able to discern, and you're looking at top of the line, so I think you'll be pretty damn happy with either.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully yours treats you well. I'm sure you went through exactly what I'm doing now. I did look at both in MHT yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed with either but I just figured they weren't calibrated properly AMD the input sources weren't particularly good.

Its pretty tough... Can't seem to decide if the extra gizmos on the e8000 are useful and if the picture is about the same then why not? Something, based on everything I've read just leaves me leaning toward the GT50 for picture quality and fewer # of.issues..
post #4 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 12
Same situation as you. Looking at the same units as well: ST50 vs E7000 and GT50 vs E8000. Or look at the LG LM7600 LED-LCD (partially interested in).

I currently have a 40" Samsung LCD which has been perfect, but its time to make the upgrade switch to a 50"+. I've read multiple threads on multiple forums and see pros and cons for both brands.

Reviewed.com rated E8000 their top pick for 2012 whereas CNET.com rated ST50 as Editor's choice.

Which one is better for watching SD and HD Cable TV?
Which one is better for 3D blu-rays?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 12
I have an 55ST50 coming soon, but the post makes wonder why I picked Panasonic vs. Samsung?
One reason I see now is in the 55-inch space Samsung is not playing much. Samsung have 51- then 60-inch. That 55-in seems a little like a sweet spot on size - everyone says go bigger so 55-in is my max. I felt the ST series panel had an engineered approach (shutter system) to minimize glare, some purests like Panny UT or Samsung better for clarity.The Panny UT and Samsung do not gave the ST/GT shutter system, so your choice there: Clarity vs. glare. Not an easy choice. Then you get into the user complaint section and IR could push you to Samsung, buzz complaints but Panny probably wins there. Some would argue buzz problem not a problem if you keep returning sets til you get a buzz-free set, whereas IR tendency is part of ST technology. But CR, CNET, Amazon most user reviews have ST50 as top notch value set. Made the leap.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Got the 50" GT50 last weekend. So far, I've been very happy. Picture through HD cable is great and the little bit I've played some Xbox 360 on it has been great too. The exterior really looks great as far as apperance goes. I haven't really gone to the length of "calibrating" it just used the THX Cinema setting. I need to get a 3D Blu Ray player and a decent AV receiver still. No buzzing or anything else weird that my rookie, uncalibrated eyes can pick up on. The only thing that I've noticed is that sometimes, during certain scenes on TV there seems to be a "pixelly" effect or a digital look to some areas of the picture. I don't seem to notice it all the time so I'm guessing that it's probably the content and that I need to watch some more true 1080p full hd. So far I have nothing at all to complain about and bottom line... watching the Patriots win today looked awesome... A lot of which had to do with the TV of course..

I will update this or another thread if I have any issues but just wanted to put some positive feedback out there.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM

how is it so far? I am now on the same boat and since this thread is two months old i wanted to ask how is the quality is? 1-10?3D quality? buzzing?
thanks, i kind of want the samsung because of the cool features, but then i heard panny got best quality so im confused :/
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 20
I'm not an expert but recently went through similar.

Seems the E8000 is not worth the extra over the E7000 (just the weird gesture/talk control features no one ever uses).

Panny v. Samsung - I trust panasonic more than samsung. But got a samsung in the end.

One thing to take note of the reviews for the ST50 etc. is they are nearly a year old at this point. They tend to 'win' based on value. As in, what you get for the money. The e7000 was several hundred dollars more at the time of review. You can currently get e7000 models for the same, or even less than the ST50 - as long as you don't want a 55" since Panny owns that size.

So for me, getting a Samsung, with damn near equal blacks (but no, not as good) and reportedly better PQ otherwise (colors, judder etc) dual processors vs. the single in the ST50 just made more since. Plus, it seems like Samsung has more 'deals' if you're patient and wait you can get a free sound bar, blue ray paler, glasses etc.

When I bought my Samsung E7000 it was $997, no tax, free BRD player and a total of 8 pairs of glasses. For $100 I could have gotten the ST50, no BRD player, no glasses at all. I would have had slightly better blacks but that's only one tick in my pros/cons list. smile.gif

I guess what I'm getting at is don't just base your purchase on what one review says based on bang for the buck when what you get for your buck has changed dramatically since the TVs being reviewed were brand new models.

I wish it would have been a GT50 for that same $997 but they were asking $1399 or $1499 at the time. The difference in blacks and the THX cert didn't justify a 50% increase. At least not for me.

Good hunting!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 15
I had the gt50 and it does have deeper blacks over the e8000. the e8000 does have more options but i never really use maybe skype which is really cool. When it comes to color accuracy if you get the sets calibrated the e8000 has more settings to adjust than the gt50 so in the end by getting both sets calibrated the gt50 might have better blacks but overall the color on the e8000 probably will be better but not 100 percent sure because i have both sets but not calibrated. For some reason i have my e8000 on movie mode and the more ive been watching on the set the more im liking the pq. in the beginning i enjoyed the gt50 a whole lot more but now im realizing the samsung has more natural and vibrant colors when it come to skin tone and natural colors.

Samsung 64e8000 plasma
denon x4000
BW 683 Fronts,HTM61 Center, BW 685 Rears, sc4000 sw
apple tv
harmony 650
panasonic 210 blu ray
panamax m5300
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page