I went from a Panasonic TC-P65GT50 to a TC-P65VT50 for $300 more - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back on the 4th of this month I purchased a TC-P65GT50 from Best Buy $2,499.
About a week later my gf (being the clean freak that she is) was wiping the screen with a microfiber cloth and noticed a blemish that she could not get off.
Upon further review she realized that this blemish was behind the glass.

My gf later informed me of this blemish.
I too tried to wipe this marking of the screen and it was indeed behind the glass.

Though it will be quite tough to see this blemish is in the center of the circle.

Though you can see it while the plasma is on, the simple fact that this is a brand new set calls for it to be swapped out for a brand new one.
Another thought that came to mind is that this blemish could get worse over time so I was not taking any chances with it.

I went to Best Buy to explained to them the issue but there was one problem...none of their locations had any of them in stock not even their warehouse.
According to the sale associate they were unsure if their region will be getting any more from Panasonic due to it being very close to the year.
I was given several options.
  • Wait til a 65GT50 is in stock
  • Get my money back
  • Be given a 65VT50 for $300 more

Though on a very tight budget I decided go to with the 65VT50.
Best Buy home delivery scheduled this set to be delivered in several days.

Best Buys home delivery was not the best in terms on handling the returned item. I noticed they placed the defective set on top of the card board box in order to remove the stand.
From what I know you're not supposed to lay plasmas face down.

When it came down to unboxing my VT set, they were going to lay it down on the cardboard box until I sorta raised my voice saying no.
I told them you never lay a plasma face down.
I told the delivery men don't bother hooking up the cables, i'll handle those myself.

I have no idea what they're going to do with the defective setpPerhaps sell it as an open item.

But so far so good on the VT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 18
I don't understand why so many people are still convinced that a plasma can never be laid down. Laying a plasma won't do any harm to the TV. The gases won't escape or turn colors. The only potential problem would be scratching the panel if your not careful. With that being said, you don't what to transport the TV laying flat, but only because it is glass and if a bump is hit, it could then crack.

Ignorance is a choice
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The owner's manual states to lay the panel flat when installing the stand, shouldn't be an issue, just lay it on something soft so the AR filter won't get scratched.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Liked: 19
And don't jump on it.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
the Panasonic boxes are all built so that the 5 sides (4 sides and the top) can be LIFTED off of the panel. Why on earth would they say you SHOULD place it on its side? The instructions on the box clearly show that you DO NOT place the panel on it's side. Don't know what owner's manual is being cited here, but it's nowhere in mine.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet44 View Post

the Panasonic boxes are all built so that the 5 sides (4 sides and the top) can be LIFTED off of the panel. Why on earth would they say you SHOULD place it on its side? The instructions on the box clearly show that you DO NOT place the panel on it's side. Don't know what owner's manual is being cited here, but it's nowhere in mine.

This is correct. After the top is off you have direct access to the base of the stand and the mounting hardware. Place it on the floor, lift the panel from the box, slide it onto the stand, and screw it in. There's no reason to lay the TV flat at all.

Looky here!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet44 View Post

It looks like they took it out of the current owners manuals. Sorry about that and didn't mean to mislead. It was there in years past and it's still in the current service manuals.

This is from the 60GT50 service manual.

dissassembly.jpg 102k .jpg file

The info on the tv's carton is for transportation purposes.

That said I agree with robnix that there's no need to lay down the tv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dissassembly.jpg (102.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page