Help for a Noob please. ISF calibration process - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello all. I just upgraded from a Samsung PN58B560 to a Panasonic 65VT50. I bought it at Best Buy and I am a "premier silver" member so I can get a free ISF calibration done.

My question is about their calibration process, is it any good? Can someone BRIEFLY, in lay mans terms, explain the difference in the types of calibration? When is the best time to have this done? If I don't like the results can I "un-do" the changes? Sorry for such a remedial question around all the experts. I tried to read up a little bit on it but the info here is way over my head. I need someone to dumb it down for me a little.

Thanks all and I appreciate anyone's help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Steve,

Read these to start.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1328263571

http://lionav.com/new/?page_id=8

Larry
post #3 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Liked: 14
I'm not sure what their process is, but I'm going to guess they are going to use the Custom picture setting and make changes in there. You can certainly reset to default if you don't like them. But if they go into the service menu to make any changes, that may get a little more difficult. Be sure to retain whatever they changed in the service menu so you can revert. And also how they accessed the service menu.

It's probably going to be someone from Geek Squad, so you could call them and ask them about their calibration process.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I understand what the general concept of calibration is. What I am trying to ask is, is there different type of calibration? Is one better than the others? What should I look for? I know the TV needs to be broken in but whens the earliest this should be done 200, 300 hrs? How do I know when I have that time on my TV? My schedule varies greatly so it's hard for me to say that I watch x number of hrs a week of tv. Is there and internal timer? I have looked but don't see one.

Thanks again
post #5 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You should ask for an ISF daylight, ISF night, 3D, and Black & White calibrations. The B&W mode will probably be stored under Custom. ISF has its own options that will be available under Picture in the VT50 Menu, once set.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

You should ask for an ISF daylight, ISF night, 3D, and Black & White calibrations. The B&W mode will probably be stored under Custom. ISF has its own options that will be available under Picture in the VT50 Menu, once set.

Thanks fookoo, very helpful.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Liked: 10
well Lees 23, when i bought my panny 58VT25 i did a research and spoke to one of the Geek Squad. A professional calibration will usually take between 3 hours to 4 depending on your setup and what they are doing. back then 2010, some of the guys a best buy were doing that job under 1hr, basically a calibration disc, not a good sign in my opinion. Anyways, i was a very active member here at AVS Forums, reading and doing lots of research, i wanted to buy and get the best TV out there, So i went for the VT25 after concluding with my research. Then after reading a few about calibration i got in contact with some professionals calibrators that are members here like Chad B. etc. I spoke to a few of them and decided to go with Chad B. "i made a review about his work on my set" very professional guy, he took about 3 hours to get my Plasma TV looking amazing. He did ISF Day/Night, 3D etc. So, i recommend you calling Best Buy and find out, and them try contacting a few of the guys here. hope that helps

Best Regards,
Winly M.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos View Post

well Lees 23, when i bought my panny 58VT25 i did a research and spoke to one of the Geek Squad. A professional calibration will usually take between 3 hours to 4 depending on your setup and what they are doing. back then 2010, some of the guys a best buy were doing that job under 1hr, basically a calibration disc, not a good sign in my opinion. Anyways, i was a very active member here at AVS Forums, reading and doing lots of research, i wanted to buy and get the best TV out there, So i went for the VT25 after concluding with my research. Then after reading a few about calibration i got in contact with some professionals calibrators that are members here like Chad B. etc. I spoke to a few of them and decided to go with Chad B. "i made a review about his work on my set" very professional guy, he took about 3 hours to get my Plasma TV looking amazing. He did ISF Day/Night, 3D etc. So, i recommend you calling Best Buy and find out, and them try contacting a few of the guys here. hope that helps
Best Regards,
Winly M.

Thanks for the info, kind of what I assumed. I will Have Best Buy do the initial calibration(it's free, why not) and see how it looks. I am guessing I will eventually find a very reputable calibrator in the KC area and have them come adjust.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

Thanks for the info, kind of what I assumed. I will Have Best Buy do the initial calibration(it's free, why not) and see how it looks. I am guessing I will eventually find a very reputable calibrator in the KC area and have them come adjust.

thats fine, there is a thread for calibrators and what areas they go to calibrate. you can take at look at it, give them a call or email them about prices. good luck
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page