16:9 blu ray movies and black bars...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a Samsung PN60E8000 60" 16:9 plasma tv and a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player. Then I went to the library and borrowed several Blu-ray movies that advertised 16:9 on the back.

Harry Potter
Underworld

Avatar was beautiful and filled the screen! But the other two had black bars on top and bottom. Why is that? And no matter what settings I choose on the Blu-ray player or the tv I can't get rid of the bars.

I feel like a movie that specifies that it is 16:9 should be exactly 1.78 and should have no black bars on a 16:9 tv but apparently it doesn't work lik that?

Does anyone know how to get rid of the black bars on my particular tv or blu-ray player? I don't want to burn in those stupid black bars!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The black bars aren't stupid. They're there because the filmmakers decided to shoot in a wider than 16:9 format. If you were able to blow the picture up to use the full height, you'd lose a lot on the sides.

Some Blu-rays might be labelled incorrectly I guess. However, my copy of Underworld correctly says 2.35:1 on the back.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

I call the stupid in the context of them being burned into the plasma screen. frown.gif is that a invalid fear? Or is there a way to get rid of them? None of the display options on the tv or player zooms in right as far as I've found.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I call them stupid in the context of them being burned into the plasma screen. frown.gif Is that a invalid fear? Or is there a way to get rid of them? None of the display options on the tv or player zooms in right as far as I've found.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Maybe you can zoom them away if you're not using Screen Fit, I don't know. I really don't see why you'd want to watch in anything but the intended format. Do you also order a burger but throw away the bun and scrape off the mayo before eating it?

I only watch BD movies on my D7000 and have no issues with IR or burn-in from letterbox bars. Just watch mixed content and you'll be fine.

Edit: if you subscribe to the theory that break-in is needed (I'm still undecided myself), you could always run the scrolling bar in between letterboxed movies.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

Maybe you can zoom them away if you're not using Screen Fit, I don't know. I really don't see why you'd want to watch in anything but the intended format. Do you also order a burger but throw away the bun and scrape off the mayo before eating it?
I only watch BD movies on my D7000 and have no issues with IR or burn-in from letterbox bars. Just watch mixed content and you'll be fine.
Edit: if you subscribe to the theory that break-in is needed (I'm still undecided myself), you could always run the scrolling bar in between letterboxed movies.

What is this "scrolling bars"? I downloaded a break in disc from this site but its just a full screen of a color that changes to a different color every 30 seconds.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Liked: 17
I've always thought the bars were crazy tongue.gif

Just make sure when you buy a blu-ray to get 1.85:1 or even better 1.77:1 (should say it on the back somewhere & 1.85:1 will give you very very small black bars). A 16x9 hdtv is 1.77:1 I believe. Popular film formats are 1.85:1, 2.05:1, and of course 2.35:1. As the number goes up (from 1.77) the black bars get bigger

Taken from the wiki, just a suggestion, I could be wrong
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 273
My plasma is two and a half years old and I watch a lot of Blu-Rays. I have never experienced any IR as a result of letter boxing. Just make sure you also watch plenty of full wide screen content and you shouldn't have any issues. You can use the zoom to fill the screen, but you will not only be cutting out almost a third of the picture, you will also be dramatically reducing the resolution as well.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post

What is this "scrolling bars"? I downloaded a break in disc from this site but its just a full screen of a color that changes to a different color every 30 seconds.

Menu: System -> Screen Burn Protection -> Scrolling

I usually run that if I leave my set for a little while. Not sure if it actually does prevent IR but I figure it can't hurt either. The full screen slides that you're rotating probably have the same effect, if there is one at all.

But yes, I also think that if you just watch a variety of content i.e. different formats, you won't run into problems.

post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I still can't find zoom on this tv or remote (there is zoom 1 and zoom 2 but they are greyed out for 1080 source material). But I'll look for the screen saver rolling bar thing!

And I'll vary content! smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
As long as you don't exclusively watch movies with bars there is no issue. And the box saying 16:9 is absolutely correct. The output of the DVD is 16:9 and is immaterial to the aspect ration of the film itself.

Tony
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post

Thanks everyone! I still can't find zoom on this tv or remote (there is zoom 1 and zoom 2 but they are greyed out for 1080 source material)

Go to: Menu → Picture → Screen Adjustment to adjust your screen fit functions and zoom. Also, read your manual.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page