Best TVs for general watching and PC gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy Holidays y'all!
recently got a new pretty beastly PC for gaming and would like to compliment it w/ a new HDTV. it would be used for a bit of everything. tv, movies, but especially gaming. have a Sony 55A3000 that i still love. just got a new bulb and need to clean the mirror inside, but it still has a great pic quality. games and such look great on it but the wife kinda wants it in the bedroom lol. we haven't looked much at new tvs but noticed that prices have come down a lot, and back when i got the Sony (2007-08) it had a better pic than most LCD or plasmas, but maybe not anymore. from what little looking i've done i saw a couple that had clearer picture quality than my Sony. wrote the models down but lost 'em heh. i think one was a Panasonic Viera and one maybe a Sony Bravia. so was hoping we could get some advice from you knowledgeable folks. i researched for weeks for the new PC and it was very frustrating and i don't have much time right now to research so any advice welcome!

i don't know much about the pros & cons of LED LCD or plasma. i remember there were things like screen door effect, burn in ect but never knew much about them. TV would need to be about 55". could go bigger but would have to restructure the entire room so it would have to be a really great tv. budget...well cheaper's better but i'd go pretty high for a great tv. was hoping to keep it around $1000-1500, but might go upwards of $3000 if we're talkin phenomenal. the PC would be hooked up to it so i don't think i'd need fancy wifi stuff. 3D i'm not sure about. i still am not sure it's here to stay. i still occasionally get headaches from 3d movies at the theater, and i don't much like the loss of color and clarity w/ the 3d i've seen, even at the theaters. i thought projectionists were sopposed to keep the brightness up but sometimes do not. . the idea of 3d gaming used to really appeal to me but the little i've done (Batman Arkham, Enslaved) didn't blow me away. sure the depth was nice but not at the cost of color vibrancy and sharpness. oh and the TV would be in a room w/ variable light conditions. mostly dark but sometimes lights in evenings, open widow blinds ect. so matte might be nice.

that's about all the details i can think of. any advice appreciated! thanks much folks and Happy Holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
For your bottom Price:
Samsung
E6500 60"
Panasontc
ST50 55/60"

If you decide to go up:
Samsung:
E7000 60" or 64"
Panasonic
GT50 60 or 65"
VT50 60 or 65"
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thdimension View Post

Panasonic TC-P60UT50

The only reason I didnt recommend the above set was due to the vairable lighting conditions, the ones I suggested all have some sort of filter to help with possible bright room conditions.....
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
I understand but ALL plasma HDTV's are designed to be used in a low or no-light environment, the use of filters to band-aid an issue that should not exist to begin with is one of the reasons i chose a set without a filter of sorts is because they substantially reduce the viewing angle that has always been one of the greatest strengths of plasma technology, there is always a method to my madness..
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thdimension View Post

I understand but ALL plasma HDTV's are designed to be used in a low or no-light environment, the use of filters to band-aid an issue that should not exist to begin with is one of the reasons i chose a set without a filter of sorts is because they substantially reduce the viewing angle that has always been one of the greatest strengths of plasma technology, there is always a method to my madness..

The AR filters affect vertical viewing angle nothing else imo

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

The AR filters affect vertical viewing angle nothing else imo

Well - they do significantly improve apparent PQ in an other-than-dark viewing environment! wink.gif

There does not appear to be any loss of Horizontal Viewing Angle in the 2011/12 ST/GT (and, presumably, VT) series than there is in the "lower" models (or older non-AR models).

Although guess we haven't tried viewing from anything wider than 160degress or so....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page