Panasonic VT50 - How to disable red light? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55VT50

The red light for the power button is very distracting when watching TV at night. Is there a way to disable this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Disable, no. Hide, yes. I read the other day in the VT50 thread about LightDims (http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm) and ordered a set. I hope to get them soon to try them out - I have lots of applications waiting, including the red LED.

Steve
post #3 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Disable, no. Hide, yes. I read the other day in the VT50 thread about LightDims (http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm) and ordered a set. I hope to get them soon to try them out - I have lots of applications waiting, including the red LED.

That's cool. Although that would only dim the lights, I want to not see the red light at all. Guess I'll just have to use a black tape and cover it.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3NG View Post

The red light for the power button is very distracting when watching TV at night. Is there a way to disable this?

There is no way to turn it off.

Buy a pack of Light Dims. Get the "Original" Light Dims which are 50% light blocking. The 100% versions completely block the light just like a square of black electrical tape does. They're about $3 at Fry's.

I use the 50% Light Dims, but before that i simply cut a tiny piece of black tape to cover the majority of the light, but just enough to leave a sliver of red light peeking through at the bottom. I had to focus on it to see any red light while watching TV. I also put Light Dims on my cable DVR and an alarm clock that's too bright. You can put two layers to make a light even darker.

http://lightdims.com/

http://lightdims.com/tvad.htm?PHPSESSID=afdb265d465ab355c5a33e3ece3c14d0

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #5 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There is no way to turn it off.
Buy a pack of Light Dims. Get the "Original" Light Dims which are 50% light blocking. The 100% versions completely block the light just like a square of black electrical tape does. They're about $3 at Fry's.
I use the 50% Light Dims, but before that i simply cut a tiny piece of black tape to cover the majority of the light, but just enough to leave a sliver of red light peeking through at the bottom. I had to focus on it to see any red light while watching TV. I also put Light Dims on my cable DVR and an alarm clock that's too bright. You can put two layers to make a light even darker.
http://lightdims.com/
http://lightdims.com/tvad.htm?PHPSESSID=afdb265d465ab355c5a33e3ece3c14d0

Thanks!
post #6 of 18 Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my LightDims today - you get a lot of them! I used the 50% version on the TV. It leaves the LED still visible, but dim enough that you don't even notice it unless you look directly at it. I've been going around the house applying the little dots here and there to great effect.

The web site had a survey in which one of the questions was about a possible future "TravelDims" product which I'd be thrilled with. I can't count the number of times I've been in hotel rooms with bright and/or flashing LEDs from smoke alarms, TVs and more that I'd like to "dim" with a reusable sticker. I hope they make those. (In the meantime, I pack a roll of electrical tape!)

Steve
post #7 of 18 Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lightdims rolleyes.gif whodathunk? wink.gif I learned something today.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #8 of 18 Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Lightdims rolleyes.gif whodathunk? wink.gif I learned something today.

You can get a free first order, just pay for shipping. I just ordered the original set for $1.98 biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #9 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Liked: 40
http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

Thanks for turning me onto this solution to that obnoxious red power light on the Panny's. Why Panasonic didn't go with a picture friendly blue LED is a mystery but Lightdims are the next best solution.

Cheers,
Robin
post #10 of 18 Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Panasonic have used red LEDs on their TVs from as long as I can remember. Even the ancient 480p PA30 series plasmas, I think 2003?
post #11 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a VT60, and that power-on light is ridiculous.

Hey Panasonic - how about "red" means off, and no light means on? Seems reasonable.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a VT60, and that power-on light is ridiculous. Hey Panasonic - how about "red" means off, and no light means on? Seems reasonable.

At least Panasonic has listened to all the complaints about the front power light - so they've completely eliminated it for 2014 !
XBR11 likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #13 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:

At least Panasonic has listened to all the complaints about the front power light - so they've completely eliminated it for 2014 !
Oh, really? I didn't know that. Great. Won't help me, but I did buy a package of the Light Dims, so that should help.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

LOL.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Received my LightDims today - you get a lot of them! I used the 50% version on the TV. It leaves the LED still visible, but dim enough that you don't even notice it unless you look directly at it. I've been going around the house applying the little dots here and there to great effect.

The web site had a survey in which one of the questions was about a possible future "TravelDims" product which I'd be thrilled with. I can't count the number of times I've been in hotel rooms with bright and/or flashing LEDs from smoke alarms, TVs and more that I'd like to "dim" with a reusable sticker. I hope they make those. (In the meantime, I pack a roll of electrical tape!)

I honestly do not know how someone goes out and purchases another light source before putting a piece of friggin tape over the light. I mean, if it bothers you that much, peel it off and then go buy the separate LED. There are many colors of electrical tape and its a very small light. Am I missing something here?
post #16 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
http://www.lightdims.com/tvad.htm

holy hell, I can finally remove that post it note over my power on led on the plasma! Only in America would someone have the intestinal fortitude to sell a sticker book of crappy window tint cutouts as a marvel of engineering.

On the other hand, I would beat guts of every woman in this commercial, so I may go ahead and purchase four our five. lmao.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a VT60, and that power-on light is ridiculous.

Hey Panasonic - how about "red" means off, and no light means on? Seems reasonable.
Yeah, The Samsung LED I had owned gave you the option how you wanted the word Sasmung to light up at the bottom of theTV. I always set it up to go on when the TV was off and to go off when the TV went on. Thought that made the most logical sense when watching a TV.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM

The try it for 1 cent offer is still available. Just pay $1.98 shipping for $1.99 total.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page