Panasonic TCP50GT25 - HDMI 3 doesn't work any longer?! Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like the side HDMI port (HDMI 3) on my Panasonic TCP50GT25 has stopped working.

When I plug a device into HDMI 2, it works fine. If I plug it into HDMI 3, it doesn't work.

It looks like the TV is almost two years old so it's no longer under a warranty.

Can anybody help me? Do I have any options at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Was that HDMI input working before then stop working?

Or has it been unused for a long time before you noticed that it isn't working?

Are you sure you don't have HDMI-3 set to "Skipped/Not Used" in the input's setup menu?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was working recently but I've been moving around wires and such and now it stopped working.

I've tested it by plugging my Dish Network box into HDMI 2, and it works, and then moving it to HDMI 3 and it doesn't work.

I've labeled all three HDMI inputs as "Satellite" and it doesn't help. I can select HDMI 3 but the picture is all black and no audio plays either.

Since the TV is out of warranty I'm guessing it would be several hundred to get this fixed? frown.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

It was working recently but I've been moving around wires and such and now it stopped working.
I've tested it by plugging my Dish Network box into HDMI 2, and it works, and then moving it to HDMI 3 and it doesn't work.
I've labeled all three HDMI inputs as "Satellite" and it doesn't help. I can select HDMI 3 but the picture is all black and no audio plays either.
Since the TV is out of warranty I'm guessing it would be several hundred to get this fixed? frown.gif

A 3x1 HDMI Splitter would be a lot cheaper than getting the TV's input board replaced wink.gif

If you're plugging/un-plugging those HDMI cables into the TV with the TV on then that's probably what damaged the HDMI port. Some people on DBS Talk forums (as well as AVS) have reported actually seeing a little spark as they inserted or removed and HDMI cable from their TV and many have killed their HDMI ports when hot-swapping their HDMI cables with the TV on. The TV should always be turned off before swapping HDMI cables.

Did you happen to buy the TV using a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty? If so, and if you've had the TV less than the two-year mark your credit card provider will pay for the repair, or maybe just cash you out so you can buy a new TV. Some folks are completely unaware that their Visa/Mastercard/Amex cards have this warranty extension feature. Both my Visa and MC have it. If you're not sure, call your CC provider and ask. If the CSR says no, play dumb and tell him/her that you're pretty sure it was in the terms when you first opened the card and see if they'll dig deeper. Then have them email you the terms so you have a hard copy. My BofA Mastercard provider told me over the phone that i didn't have such coverage, when in fact i definitely had it and i still had the pamphlet from when i first aquired the card.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm, maybe that's my fault then. I didn't think you had to turn off the TV to change HDMI cables. Is that common for all brands/models of TVs?

Unfortunately I purchased the TV using a standard Visa check card from my bank so I doubt it has anything special like you mentioned.

I'll probably just end up buying an HDMI switch.

I've also researched an extended warranty but was told it needed to be purchased during the original manufacturers warranty (which makes sense I guess).

frown.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

Hmmm, maybe that's my fault then. I didn't think you had to turn off the TV to change HDMI cables. Is that common for all brands/models of TVs?
Anytime you plug or unplug cables from any TV that TV should be turned off first, or better yet unplugged from the wall receptacle. Hot-swapping cables (especially HDMI).

Quote:
Unfortunately I purchased the TV using a standard Visa check card from my bank so I doubt it has anything special like you mentioned.
I'll probably just end up buying an HDMI switch.
Ouch. This is why i always use my credit card to buy stuff, then i just pay it off when i get my first statement - this way i have an automatic one year warranty extension and accidental breakage protection on every expensive item i buy.

Quote:
I've also researched an extended warranty but was told it needed to be purchased during the original manufacturers warranty (which makes sense I guess). frown.gif
Yeah, selling an extended warranty to someone who's TV just broke wouldn't be good business practice wink.gif

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page