Panasonic 50" P50U50 dot crawl problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I helped a friend of mine buy a Panasonic 50" P50U50 (actually the Costco version, I forget the exact model number, but it's the same tv). It has a dot crawl problem on every Bluray we have tried. Worse, you even see it for the on screen menus of the Panny itself. It's only visible if you stand within 4 or 5 feet of the tv, but even so, it shouldn't be there right? We would take it back for a replacement, but the model is discontinued and no Costco has any (except Hawaii). We got the $200 Black Friday deal, so we really want to make it work. Panny is sending out a tech on Friday, but on the phone they deny all knowledge that such a problem could exist.

To describe the problem in a little more detail, basically whenever there is a bright area, particularly when it's static, you can see a lot of video noise (I thought it was called mosquito noise, but the term seems to be dot-crawl these days). The pixels shimmer and move around when the image should be completely static, even for an on screen menu generated by the Bluray player or even by the TV itself. My 7 year old Panny 7uy looks way better. The same bluray looks rock solid on mine.

I even tried checking my friend's power outlet and the grounding and voltage was good. I even brought over my isolation transformer and plugged her P50U50 into that, no improvement.

Do you think Panny is going to give my friend some satisfaction here? or do you think they will say "Hey you've got a fine image; you shouldn't sit closer that 5 feet anyway, so stop complaining"
My friend is not the most forceful type, so I am afraid they will blow her off. I wish I could be there when the tech comes.

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocD View Post

I helped a friend of mine buy a Panasonic 50" P50U50 (actually the Costco version, I forget the exact model number, but it's the same tv). It has a dot crawl problem on every Bluray we have tried. Worse, you even see it for the on screen menus of the Panny itself. It's only visible if you stand within 4 or 5 feet of the tv, but even so, it shouldn't be there right? We would take it back for a replacement, but the model is discontinued and no Costco has any (except Hawaii). We got the $200 Black Friday deal, so we really want to make it work. Panny is sending out a tech on Friday, but on the phone they deny all knowledge that such a problem could exist.
To describe the problem in a little more detail, basically whenever there is a bright area, particularly when it's static, you can see a lot of video noise (I thought it was called mosquito noise, but the term seems to be dot-crawl these days). The pixels shimmer and move around when the image should be completely static, even for an on screen menu generated by the Bluray player or even by the TV itself. My 7 year old Panny 7uy looks way better. The same bluray looks rock solid on mine.
I even tried checking my friend's power outlet and the grounding and voltage was good. I even brought over my isolation transformer and plugged her P50U50 into that, no improvement.
Do you think Panny is going to give my friend some satisfaction here? or do you think they will say "Hey you've got a fine image; you shouldn't sit closer that 5 feet anyway, so stop complaining"
My friend is not the most forceful type, so I am afraid they will blow her off. I wish I could be there when the tech comes.
Thanks in advance for your comments,
Nick

switch to cinema mode. it happens on all the modes BUT cinema mode. common issue
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

switch to cinema mode. it happens on all the modes BUT cinema mode. common issue

Thanks, I'll ask her to try that. Weird that a 2012 model has it when my 7 year old 50PHD7UY doesn't.
So everyone just uses cinema mode and doesn't worry about it? I did some searching, but the only info I could find is what you mentioned.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Do all modern Panasonic plasmas have this issue or only some? Should we try to get the TV replaced to see if we get lucky and get one without this problem?

Thanks,
Nick
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocD View Post

Thanks, I'll ask her to try that. Weird that a 2012 model has it when my 7 year old 50PHD7UY doesn't.
So everyone just uses cinema mode and doesn't worry about it? I did some searching, but the only info I could find is what you mentioned.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Do all modern Panasonic plasmas have this issue or only some? Should we try to get the TV replaced to see if we get lucky and get one without this problem?
Thanks,
Nick

My personal opinion is 4 to 5 feet viewing distance is too close for that size. You are going to see imperfections from dithering etc that is the nature of plasma but from the proper viewing distance shouldn't be an issue.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that is an issue with all plasmas when the brightness is turned up too high.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50u50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page