Is my tv dead? Samsung PN59D550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just sitting here watching some streaming content on my Googletv and turned away from the screen for a few minutes When I looked at it again my screen looked like it does in the pictures. Can anyone tell me if my screen is dead or if there's some sort of setting messed up. I've tried the basics (unplugging the tv, unhooked everything from it, etc.). The tv is about 18 months old.

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong category, I'm not on this site a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99zx6r View Post

I was just sitting here watching some streaming content on my Googletv and turned away from the screen for a few minutes When I looked at it again my screen looked like it does in the pictures. Can anyone tell me if my screen is dead or if there's some sort of setting messed up. I've tried the basics (unplugging the tv, unhooked everything from it, etc.). The tv is about 18 months old.

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong category, I'm not on this site a lot.

Hi,

It looks like to me that it isn't dead. But more like one of the sustain boards has gone Y or Z board.

I would take a guess at the Y sus board. But it is fixable under warranty or tech store or by yourself. A tech store will tell you you should replace both sustain boards at the same time, but it isn't always necessary.

But sometimes model/make depending the boards can be fixed without whole replacements
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Do you have an extended warranty? Or live in a country where TVs have 2-year factory warranties?

If no and no, did you happen to buy the TV with a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty? Some people had no idea their card had this feature and were able to get their TVs fixed for free during year two, well after the mfgr's warranty expired.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. I called Samsung, and no it's out of warranty. I generally don't buy extended warranties, and my credit card isn't a good one that extends the warranty for me, so I'm on my own with this one. I'll call around to some local repair shops and see what they have to say about the Y and Z boards.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM
EG3

Liked: 17
I would suspect the Y-Driver PCB. When viewing from the rear, it is the first board on the left which connects to the Panel.
The IC on the bottom of this board has most likely failed.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Y driver I agree but could be a loose ribbon cable on the Y drive board to the PDP the Y driver board(s) are not that expensive I buy a lot of circuit from www.shopjimmy.com (no I don't work them we have a warranty repair and sales in Virginia. I thought it would be interesting to read these posts and maybe help. Some times repairs are not what we think.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page