Needhelp: Plasma buzzing (Panasonic ST50) - When is it not acceptabel? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 227 Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkz View Post

I have similar buzzing like this video here. with the same model as me the p55st50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7VnZkm96PI if not exactly the same way.

I do not want to open the behemoth of a back cover and sorting all the screws and risk cutting my hand to tighten the screws to find it not work.eek.gif

Mines similar to this. I have a July build gt50. I don't think it's screws but call Panasonic to do the analysis. The reason I don't think it's screws on one board is because when I do the ir wipe, the buzz follows the white across the screen.

I honestly don't notice it thought unless I am showing the white slide, the ir wipe AND I'm within 5' of the tv without the refrigerator running and hvac off and no other electronics buzzing or fans running. With normal content it's not there. Also, only other time I noticed it is with the really bright Warner brothers logo in the clouds but all the other factors were there too: no refrigerator, no hvac and it was with no sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

Seriously? I have a 65 inch ST30, and the only time I can ever hear any kind of buzzing at all, is if the room is completely silent, and a solid black screen is displayed. It's not very loud either and not even obviously coming from the TV itself. I've never once heard it while watching anything. It was months before I actually noticed this thing buzzed in any situation at all.

These are consumer level electronics. There are going to be some defective units, variation in build quality etc. Thus some are going to buzz louder than others. One member posted taking a buzzer back to the store and comparing to another and that he and the staff could clearly tell the second one was quieter.

On top of that, people's hearing varies. So some people will hear a buzz over dialogue when others won't even on the same unit in the same room. And then there are variations on whether it annoys someone or not--especially if it's like mine was were I mostly only heard it on commercials or super bright quiet scenes. Enough to annoy me and get me to ditch it, but wouldn't bother others probably.

But I'm also not a huge videophile and should have just waited for a deal on the LED I exchanged for in the first place as plasmas aren't ideal for my needs anyway (hours of ESPN daily, lots of video games, fairly bright room and watch lots of sports on weekend days etc.). So IR and reflections (had the 55UT50) were starting to be bothersome too, so no way I was going learn to just live with the buzz when it was becoming apparent that it just wasn't the right set for me.
post #183 of 227 Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 11
so anybody with a st50 build from late 2012 - September and Up, with a buzzing panel replace screws and find success?
If I call a tech to come over, can I request for him to replace the coil right away? I looked inside my panel through the vent holes on the left side and saw that I do have the updated screws with washers.
So I must have a coil problem. My st50's build date is November 2012 with a -2 on the model number.
post #184 of 227 Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
ok guys if you want to explore the insides of the st50 panel I have pictures.
check out my posting here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455685/going-rogue-with-buzzing-issues-for-the-panasonic-p55st50#post_22915359
post #185 of 227 Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Liked: 10
Guys, don't give up on the plasma. I traded in my LED for a plasma because the LED has such light pollution in the dark scenes. LED cannot hold a candle to plasma when it comes to picture quality!! And the burn-in is no longer an issue on these new models. My boys are on the xbox and ESPN 24/7...no ghost images yet.

However...my P65ST50 buzzed as well after only 3 months, so I had a tech come out to fix it. He pulled off the back (after removing about a million screws), and immediately found the loose board. He held his screwdriver up to one of the corners of the board and was able to change the pitch and volume of the buzz by changing pressure with his tool. He tightened all the screws on all the boards (did not swap them out). I will not tell you the buzz went away completely, but it did reduce to where the only way I can hear it is if I stand next to the panel with my ear 6 inches away.

Truth be told, I would not buy another Panasonic due to the poor manufacturing QC. But, now that the issue is resolved on my unit, I gotta say the picture blows me away, and Call of Duty in 3D is just way too cool.
post #186 of 227 Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 96
An interesting development. I thought I had a buzzing 65vt50 until I turned off my power amp and All buzzing went away! I am now in the process of researching ground loop hum to see what I can do. I'm not saying that plasma buzz doesn't exist, just that my particular buzzing problem isn't from my plasma.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50
post #187 of 227 Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
That's interesting. I will look into that as well this weekend. MY TV, HTPC and power amp are all on the same power strip.
post #188 of 227 Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

All of my components are plugged into a power conditioner. I am going to try a cheater plug first, then maybe a ground loop isolator.

post #189 of 227 Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM

The power strip issue only applies if your buzz is coming through the TV speakers. The predominant buzzing issue with these Pannys is vibration of the "ss" board in the upper right when looking at the TV from the back, which happens even with the speakers turned off.
post #190 of 227 Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

In my situation, the buzzing is actually coming from my amp. I can only hear it when Both the amp And TV are ON. Very strange.

post #191 of 227 Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My UT50 has started making an extremely annoying, high-pitch buzzing sound in the upper left corner(when listening from the front of the set).

I can hear it no matter how loud the volume but it does seem slightly quieter when I press mute. I guess that would make sense because when the speakers are on they too require electricity which in turn makes the power supply inside the set work even harder.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #192 of 227 Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Posted this in the VT Owners thread but thought I would do it here as well. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/10290#post_22968601

I have found that the buzzing I am having is not constant, rather it cycles between low and loud every three seconds when a light screen is on. It can be heard enough to be a distraction even with my surround system turned up from17 feet away.

Interesting thing is it goes away when 1080p24 content is on and the tv is set to either 48 or 96. (60hz still produces a buzz). Might explain why some posters say they don't hear it on blu-ray. Even with cable if I set my receiver to up-scale to 1080p24, the buzzing goes away unless the TV is set to 60hz.

Just opened a case with Panasonic, I'll keep you posted with how it goes.
post #193 of 227 Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Update: after some more troubleshooting I have found that the buzzing is actually coming from my powered sub-woofer. And is must be coming from the power circuit, as I can disconnect the RCA jack and it still buzzes. I tried a different outlet in the same room and still buzzes. Then used a 40 ft extension cord to an outlet on a different circuit and voila the buzzing goes away.

@mnc - I'm very interested in what your resolution is as it sounds like the same problem. My amp does not buzz thankfully, just the sub, a Von Schweikert VR-S1.

My question is it an issue with the TV? I had an LED before with no issues, but since the plasma uses more power particularly when displaying bright screens, I may not have hit the threshold before.

I guess I can manually turn off the sub, unless I'm watching blu-ray with the 96hz setting, but a bit of a PITA. No way the wife will o for an extension cord down the hallway.

Is there anything that can be done to effectively act like it is on its own circuit, without actually getting one? (Have a huge entertainment center which would need to be moved to get that work done).

Thanks
post #194 of 227 Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi All,
I have a 55ST50 that I got back in late July from BB. I broke in the tv using d-nice's slides and used his recommended settings. When I initially had the tv I did not hear any buzzing at all. Now recently about a week ago I started to hear buzzing. I hear it on lighter colored scenes as others have reported. I do not use the speakers from the TV. I use the speakers connected to my denon AVR. I have a HTPC hooked up to the AVR and then to the TV. No other connections. I have the TV wall mounted and can hear the buzzing from about 8ft away even with the speakers at a decent volume. I do not think I got any kind of warranty through BB so I assume I'll have to contact Panny to get it looked at?
post #195 of 227 Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 AM

I have returned two Pana 50" ST50 and one 50" GT50 because of the buzz. It is not acceptable for me in 2013, when panasonic earlier had serious issues with buzzing. (Panasonic G10 among many others...)

i've owned a couple of low-end panasonc plasma's and they didnt have the issue. Why should i then have the trouble with the mid-end / high-end? I have bought my last panasonic tv-screen ever. Obviously it is not just one faulty tv, but all of them. 3 tvs in a row with the same extreme buzz from 4 metres away is just bad.

- I am an experienced plasma-tv owner, had panasonic, lg, samsung, and these pana 50's has been the worst by far.

- Probably going with a samsung 2013 plasma instead. Shame on you panasonic.....
post #196 of 227 Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

I was surprised as well that this still existed. This is my first plasma and had not heard about this model having the issue though it was probably early before these reports started to trickle in.

Hopefully it gets fixed as I am still under the manufacturer warranty.
post #197 of 227 Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlohnork View Post

I have returned two Pana 50" ST50 and one 50" GT50 because of the buzz. It is not acceptable for me in 2013, when panasonic earlier had serious issues with buzzing. (Panasonic G10 among many others...)

i've owned a couple of low-end panasonc plasma's and they didnt have the issue. Why should i then have the trouble with the mid-end / high-end? I have bought my last panasonic tv-screen ever. Obviously it is not just one faulty tv, but all of them. 3 tvs in a row with the same extreme buzz from 4 metres away is just bad.

- I am an experienced plasma-tv owner, had panasonic, lg, samsung, and these pana 50's has been the worst by far.

- Probably going with a samsung 2013 plasma instead. Shame on you panasonic.....

You may just be extra sensitive to hearing that frequency of buzz. Every plasma I've been around (two I've tried, a couple friend's sets etc.) I've heard buzzing from the couch (6-10ft depending on person/place) in bright quiet scenes. Mostly Panny's, but one Vizio and one Samsung.

I think I just have bad luck and my ears really tune into that frequency and it drives me nuts. You may be similar, though you do note that you haven't heard it on other brands/past models. I'm bad about being annoyed by a fridge or other appliance buzzing too and my girlfriend can't hear it.

Has been mostly moot for me since I found out quickly that plasma's don't work well for me anyway since I watch a crap ton of ESPN and play a lot of video games so stubborn IR was a major annoyance on top of the buzzing I seem tuned into hearing.
post #198 of 227 Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

As much as I love the PQ of a plasma this may be my first and last one if they all exhibit this buzz noise. I assumed that by now this type of issue would be ironed out. I understand IR is still there but I don't watch much sports on my plasma. I leave that to my bigger tv for that.

Well I have a repair scheduled for next week so hopefully that will resolve the issue at least for a while.
post #199 of 227 Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

As much as I love the PQ of a plasma this may be my first and last one if they all exhibit this buzz noise. I assumed that by now this type of issue would be ironed out. I understand IR is still there but I don't watch much sports on my plasma. I leave that to my bigger tv for that.

Well I have a repair scheduled for next week so hopefully that will resolve the issue at least for a while.

If you think excessive buzzing is normal and that they all do it then you really haven't read this thread at all.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #200 of 227 Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

My ST50 has a light buzz I can hear when my ear is directly next to the panel. This is my first plasma as well and I don't consider it a loud buzzer. From reading this forum, it seems some plasmas buzz louder than others. Since you indicated it did not originally buzz you are doing the right thing by having a Panasonic tech come and check it out.
post #201 of 227 Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well I agree they all do not do it but I just got the raw end of the deal. The tech came by today and replaced the screws/washers. We'll see if that fixed it. He said this is the first step that they have to do. If it comes back then he'll come back and take a look at it again.
post #202 of 227 Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I have a 60GT50 and after owning it for about two months it is buzzing when there are bright or all white images on the screen. I can hear it from 8' away with the volume at moderate levels. With the sound muted it is quite easy to hear from even further away. I'll be giving Best Buy a call to setup a service call. I think I will stress to Best Buy that the tech bring all the possible parts needed so I do not have to go through multiple service calls.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #203 of 227 Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM

I just received a new 60ST50 on Monday and have ran into the buzzing issue. I've got about 25 hours on the TV at this point (around 4 hours of blu-ray, 2 hours gaming, the rest has been running D-nice prep slides). I sit between 8 and 9 feet from the TV. In silence (the only noise-making object being a refrigerator in the next room) from my seat I can hear the buzzing on the Red / Green slides, the Blue slide buzzes but is very low, and the white slides of course buzz VERY loudly - I can even hear it from the next room faintly. If I run the anti-IR scrolling bar, the buzzing actually follows the white bar - the left size of the TV buzzes at first, and then the center and the right side as the white bar moves.

During the 2 hours of gaming I did, I played Journey (PS3) and Tales of Vesperia (Xbox). Journey tends to be a bright game, and I could faintly hear the buzzing OVER the sound / music of the game. In Tales of Vesperia, I could hear the buzzing over the sound in the Menu screen.

Has anyone had buzzing DECREASE once they reach the ~100 break-in period? It sounds like my set is still on the "lower" scale of buzzing, but I know it's there and it annoys me as I can hear it during quiet / low volume scenes. It's a October 2012 model with a -2 at the end of the model number, and it looks like the screws have washers when I use a flashlight to look inside the unit.

It was purchased from Amazon, so I still have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to start the panel exchange game :\ Besides the buzzing, the set seems great - I haven't noticed any dithering or other quality issues. I'd hate to exchange and get a unit that has more problems.
post #204 of 227 Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post

I just received a new 60ST50 on Monday and have ran into the buzzing issue. I've got about 25 hours on the TV at this point (around 4 hours of blu-ray, 2 hours gaming, the rest has been running D-nice prep slides). I sit between 8 and 9 feet from the TV. In silence (the only noise-making object being a refrigerator in the next room) from my seat I can hear the buzzing on the Red / Green slides, the Blue slide buzzes but is very low, and the white slides of course buzz VERY loudly - I can even hear it from the next room faintly. If I run the anti-IR scrolling bar, the buzzing actually follows the white bar - the left size of the TV buzzes at first, and then the center and the right side as the white bar moves.

During the 2 hours of gaming I did, I played Journey (PS3) and Tales of Vesperia (Xbox). Journey tends to be a bright game, and I could faintly hear the buzzing OVER the sound / music of the game. In Tales of Vesperia, I could hear the buzzing over the sound in the Menu screen.

Has anyone had buzzing DECREASE once they reach the ~100 break-in period? It sounds like my set is still on the "lower" scale of buzzing, but I know it's there and it annoys me as I can hear it during quiet / low volume scenes. It's a October 2012 model with a -2 at the end of the model number, and it looks like the screws have washers when I use a flashlight to look inside the unit.

It was purchased from Amazon, so I still have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to start the panel exchange game :\ Besides the buzzing, the set seems great - I haven't noticed any dithering or other quality issues. I'd hate to exchange and get a unit that has more problems.

Sounds like the two 50ST60s (mfg dates Jan/Mar 2013) and one 50S60 (Feb) I've had in my home, right down to the behavior with the white bar. The only thing that helps with buzzing is decreasing energy consumption, e.g. by decreasing Contrast. I find that with Contrast at 64 on my 50ST60, giving me 35 fL on a white 5% window, I rarely hear the buzzing in actual material. High APL has to coincide with relative silence, and for what I watch, that happens most often in animated programs with lots of dialogue in the absence of background music or noise, such as many Family Guy scenes.

That said, if I replace this set in the coming months, it won't be because of the buzzing. It will be because of the rainbow effect I observe when I move my eyes around the screen. To be clear, this has got nothing to do with motion of the content. It's caused by shifting my focus from one point to another, and the only thing that helps with that is timing my blinks to coincide with the eye movement or moving my focus very, very slowly. It's actually very annoying because skin tones elicit it as well as high contrast material.

All three sets were about the same WRT rainbows, the buzzing, and the IR. By all means, try an exchange, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
post #205 of 227 Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the response sawfish smile.gif

I'll put up with it, at least until the first 100 hrs are over, and then guage if I can live with it. The panel seems very good apart from the buzzing - I haven't noticed any color blobs, major dithering, vertical lines, etc. Sorry to hear you've had bad luck even with the newer ST60 frown.gif
post #206 of 227 Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM

So I have an STS50 bought in January 2013. Manufactured Feb 2012. It too has the dreaded buzz. I called Panasonic flat screen support and oh what a joy that has been thus far.

My 2nd call from home to perform troubleshooting was just a joke. They clearly hire droids who read from a script and aren't allowed to think on their own. I was asked to leave the power off the TV and power on all connected devices one at a time (DVD, game, cable box) to see if noise emitted from them. Duh. NO!

I then turned on the TV and told the droid that the TV needed to warm up for a while typically to starting buzzing (on dominantly white screens). I didn't have time to stick around so I said how would you know if I told you it was buzzing and it wasn't? Well sir we wouldn't know. So what is the point, why can't they believe the customer and send out a service tech? Now I have to call them back when I have time and they are open so I can "prove" to them it is buzzing and audible within 10 feet of the set. I asked if it was policy to not believe what you're customers are telling you especially for such a known issue with these devices? Droid gave me the passive aggressive reply of shocked apology but this is our policy.

Customer service - Meh

I'm sure glad the picture on this thing rocks or I'd go throw it through the window of the store I bought it from!
post #207 of 227 Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Anyone else have this problem. I just received mine and it is buzzing pretty loud. Should I try another panel. Have people had success with receiving low buzzing or no buzzing panels?
post #208 of 227 Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnyde4 View Post

Anyone else have this problem. I just received mine and it is buzzing pretty loud. Should I try another panel. Have people had success with receiving low buzzing or no buzzing panels?

If you can hear it at anywhere near a normal viewing distance then it's defective. My 55ST60 is silent in a silent room before dawn - i can only hear a slight buzz if i put my ear behind the TV. And i have pretty good hearing.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #209 of 227 Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I've been going back and forth. Currently I'm running the slides and it is pretty loud. I bought it from Amazon.
post #210 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 13
I just got an 60ST60 and the buzz is pretty noticeable from about 11' when there is no dialogue, especially when I am running slides. It is a pretty loud buzz coming from the back of the panel. I am debating having amazon take it back and bring a new one to see if it is a problem with that specific TV or not.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread