Needhelp: Plasma buzzing (Panasonic ST50) - When is it not acceptabel? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonetik View Post

I just got an 60ST60 and the buzz is pretty noticeable from about 11' when there is no dialogue, especially when I am running slides. It is a pretty loud buzz coming from the back of the panel. I am debating having amazon take it back and bring a new one to see if it is a problem with that specific TV or not.

I am beginning to regret my purchase of the p50s64. This basically seems like expected behaviour at this point. I am waiting for a tech to come look at the same problem, and am expecting him to say it is normal. What then?

How can something that completely compromises enjoyment of watching the TV be expected behaviour? Like, do they not test these things?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskiehunter View Post

I am beginning to regret my purchase of the p50s64. This basically seems like expected behaviour at this point. I am waiting for a tech to come look at the same problem, and am expecting him to say it is normal. What then?

How can something that completely compromises enjoyment of watching the TV be expected behaviour? Like, do they not test these things?

Then return it and move on. The good news is its a warehouse only model and they usually (Costco and Sam's to name two) have very generous return policies. While I understand your frustration the testing comment is a little over the top. Can you imagine the time it would take to run display through every possible test to catch all of the issues that we are able to come up with on this forum. Then there is the interpretation of what level of buzz is acceptable and when. What are the basic tests they would run? When a car is manufactured they finish it on the assembly line and run it out to the lot where it is loaded up for delivery, next stop car lot and joe car buyer. On a white only screen, it is going to buzz. During normal viewing conditions it shouldn't be noticeable usually at normal volume levels, but even my mighty Kuro would have an audible buzz during bright scenes. I came to accept it because it did so many other things better than the alternatives. Unfortunately at this time every display tech has it's trade offs and some are just more sensitive to those tradeoffs then others. Good luck.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #213 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:

Why don't you just have it repaired under warranty? It's usually a simple power supply or board replacement.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #214 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Then return it and move on. The good news is its a warehouse only model and they usually (Costco and Sam's to name two) have very generous return policies. While I understand your frustration the testing comment is a little over the top. Can you imagine the time it would take to run display through every possible test to catch all of the issues that we are able to come up with on this forum. Then there is the interpretation of what level of buzz is acceptable and when. What are the basic tests they would run? When a car is manufactured they finish it on the assembly line and run it out to the lot where it is loaded up for delivery, next stop car lot and joe car buyer. On a white only screen, it is going to buzz. During normal viewing conditions it shouldn't be noticeable usually at normal volume levels, but even my mighty Kuro would have an audible buzz during bright scenes. I came to accept it because it did so many other things better than the alternatives. Unfortunately at this time every display tech has it's trade offs and some are just more sensitive to those tradeoffs then others. Good luck.

Your post is well taken. However, I was not referring to having every model individually tested. I know that that is not feasible. This issue affects so many of the models that I was implying that they had not really tested the models as a whole sufficiently. Like, if they make 50,000, they probably pull out 100 at random and test them. Out of those 100, a fair amount would have had this problem (and it would have been noticeable immediately - as soon as I turn on my TV, even if the screen is black, the room has an audible buzz. Going to the main menu makes it a lot louder). My point is, there is no way that they did not notice this, they must just not care. 

It is easy to say 'just return it' but I live in a downtown metropolitan area and do not own a vehicle, let alone a vehicle capable of properly transporting a 50" TV. I had to plan in advance to get access to one, and to get i again will be difficult and a big inconvenience. You should not have to return panels in an attempt at a TV lottery. The product QC should be sufficient that it is very rare for an issue like this to present itself, but its not. 

post #215 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Why don't you just have it repaired under warranty? It's usually a simple power supply or board replacement.

I am waiting for a call from Pansonic to set-up a tech to come visit. I will try to do this. But from what I have read, other people have techs visit and they refuse, saying that the buzz is acceptable. 

Any tips or advice going forward for the visit? 

post #216 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

I am waiting for a call from Pansonic to set-up a tech to come visit. I will try to do this. But from what I have read, other people have techs visit and they refuse, saying that the buzz is acceptable. 

Any tips or advice going forward for the visit? 

You just have to stand firm. Panasonic along with other display makers (Vizio, maker of the disposable display) want to make sure you keep buying their equipment, so they will want to figure out a solution. Remember that acceptable means something different to each person and some people are more sensitive to the buzz then others.

There are numerous stats available on repair rates for plasma and the Panasonic brand - they have always been at the top. Moot point after this year smile.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #217 of 227 Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

I am waiting for a call from Pansonic to set-up a tech to come visit. I will try to do this. But from what I have read, other people have techs visit and they refuse, saying that the buzz is acceptable.  Any tips or advice going forward for the visit? 

Maybe print out my post from page 1 or 2 of this thread where my friend's TV buzzed from 11 feet and the technician fixed it, and if the tech that comes to your house and tries to tell you that it's normal to hear buzzing from several feet show him the post. Maybe print this whole thread biggrin.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #218 of 227 Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have the bulletin sent out by Panasonic regarding the incorrect screws? My P50U50 bit the dust a couple weeks ago, 3 months out of warranty of course. I took it to a repair shop and he confirmed the screw issue and found arcing on the SS board where the incorrect screws were installed. He advised that I call Panasonic and bring up the screw issue, but I think they'll just tell me to get bent since I'm out of warranty. I'm hoping if I had a copy of the bulletin that it might help a bit.
post #219 of 227 Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 PM

So I have a week old 50S60 that buzzes fairly audibly. Like everybody else here, it was driving me MENTAL all week. (Stupid OCD bull.)

If you want to save yourself some time and a trip to your therapist, do what I did. I hung some black velvet curtains behind the TV in the stand. Buzzing is now about 75% less audible when I am sitting on my couch. Looks nicer too. Sound absorption is your best bet here, people. The parts they are now using in these TVs are low end. Really going out with a bang, i'd say! Maybe they are purposely trying to get people to switch to LCD .... hmmmmm.

post #220 of 227 Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfnz View Post

Does anyone have the bulletin sent out by Panasonic regarding the incorrect screws? My P50U50 bit the dust a couple weeks ago, 3 months out of warranty of course. I took it to a repair shop and he confirmed the screw issue and found arcing on the SS board where the incorrect screws were installed. He advised that I call Panasonic and bring up the screw issue, but I think they'll just tell me to get bent since I'm out of warranty. I'm hoping if I had a copy of the bulletin that it might help a bit.

Call Panasonic anyway. They are often pretty good about covering known issues like this 1-3 months after the warranty expired. If the repair shop you're dealing with is an Authorized Panasonic Repair Center, ask them to help you push this through with Panasonic.

Failing that, if you bought the TV using a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer warranty, they'll pay the bill during year 2.

Randy

Gallery -
post #221 of 227 Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Call Panasonic anyway. They are often pretty good about covering known issues like this 1-3 months after the warranty expired. If the repair shop you're dealing with is an Authorized Panasonic Repair Center, ask them to help you push this through with Panasonic.

Failing that, if you bought the TV using a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer warranty, they'll pay the bill during year 2.

Panasonic finally got back to me with their "settlement". They're offering $159 (which is the cost of the SS board through my repair shop). So basically any other costs are out of my pocket. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Considering I'm 4 months out of warranty, they could have told me to eat it.
post #222 of 227 Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 520
I hate to necro, but my 2+-year-old VT50 has suddenly become unacceptably noisy. I wonder if anyone has experienced the "it worked before, but now it's not OK" phenomenon.

I have an extended warranty with SquareTrade, so I can call for service, but I'd like to be successful if I do. Any thoughts on how to do that would be appreciated.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #223 of 227 Old 09-02-2014, 07:21 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I hate to necro, but my 2+-year-old VT50 has suddenly become unacceptably noisy. I wonder if anyone has experienced the "it worked before, but now it's not OK" phenomenon. I have an extended warranty with SquareTrade, so I can call for service, but I'd like to be successful if I do. Any thoughts on how to do that would be appreciated.
Usually when a plasma that has been relatively quiet suddenly starts buzzing that's an indication of a failing board or power supply, which can be replaced fairly easily. My friend had an ST30 that was very quiet but at about 8 months it started buzzing. The technician first checked for loosened board screws (a common cause for a few years) but they were tight, then he narrowed down the buzzing as coming from a bad coil on the upper right board (as viewed from the rear) which was another common failure point on the 2011 and 2012 models. He had some of these boards on his truck so after a quick replacement the TV was silent again, and still is to this day. He was in and out within an hour. Do you think the buzzing is coming from that upper right rear area?

If you can get a competent tech, he should be able to pinpoint the source of the buzzing.

Randy

Gallery -
post #224 of 227 Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Usually when a plasma that has been relatively quiet suddenly starts buzzing that's an indication of a failing board or power supply, which can be replaced fairly easily. My friend had an ST30 that was very quiet but at about 8 months it started buzzing. The technician first checked for loosened board screws (a common cause for a few years) but they were tight, then he narrowed down the buzzing as coming from a bad coil on the upper right board (as viewed from the rear) which was another common failure point on the 2011 and 2012 models. He had some of these boards on his truck so after a quick replacement the TV was silent again, and still is to this day. He was in and out within an hour. Do you think the buzzing is coming from that upper right rear area?

If you can get a competent tech, he should be able to pinpoint the source of the buzzing.
Definitely coming from the "upper"; will have to pay attention to which side it's on next time.

I wonder if there is something that will get me a competent tech from SquareTrade. It's always a pain to have to deal with this kind of stuff and I'd prefer to get it fixed in one shot rather than having someone come out and say, "There is no problem with your TV."

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #225 of 227 Old 09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Definitely coming from the "upper"; will have to pay attention to which side it's on next time.

I wonder if there is something that will get me a competent tech from SquareTrade. It's always a pain to have to deal with this kind of stuff and I'd prefer to get it fixed in one shot rather than having someone come out and say, "There is no problem with your TV."
Mark, are you comfortable removing the rear cover yourself to track down the source of the buzzing? Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? That's a great way to track down the source of a mystery noise, and the ear buds are rubber so you can't get zapped if you touch the wrong component LOL.

Once Square Trade arranges the repair (most likely with your local authorized Panasonic repair center) maybe you can contact the shop, maybe even tell them who you are and what you do, and can talk technically with them before they come and feel them out to see if they're competent at properly diagnosing the TV.

On my friend's 60ST30, the tech suspected this upper right board and after checking the screws, my friend said the tech pushed on the various coils on that board using the eraser end of a pencil then found the offending coil - the buzzing stopped when he pressed on it. He replaced that board. I'm thinking that if you can find the source of the buzzing yourself, you can have the tech replace that particular board. It could also be the power supply. Hopefully it's simply one of the replaceable boards, and not the electronics that are integral to the panel module (ie: not replaceable).

Randy

Gallery -
post #226 of 227 Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm comfortable taking off the back cover, but I lack the stethoscope.

In attempting to localize the sound tonight, I didn't get very far (with the back on, of course).

I'm not very optimistic that it's a localized source, but then it's a big panel and the backplane acts as something of a diffuser. And there's clearly some difference even crudely moving my head around like someone with a nervous disorder.

I started the process with SquareTrade tonight; I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice already. Let's hope it's not a "panel module" failure. This wouldn't be the kind of thing I could live with for 2-3 years.

post #227 of 227 Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

UPDATE: SquareTrade is "sending me parts" on spec. Then I get to call to arrange a technician to come out.

The problem is maybe getting worse. I dunno what to make of all that.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page