Basic A/V Connection Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to connect a laptop to a Panasonic Viera plasma TV for a slideshow presentation. My laptop (MacBook Pro) is connected with a DVI-HDMI cable. The video plays fine; but no audio. Question: Can a DVI-HDMI cable transfer an audio signal?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
DVI does not carry audio. You either have to run audio out on the computer to a sound system, or connect via dvi to vga to the tv and then connect an audio cable from the computer to the audio ins on the tv corresponding to the vga port to get sound from the tv's speakers.

Tony
post #3 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitjv View Post

I want to connect a laptop to a Panasonic Viera plasma TV for a slideshow presentation. My laptop (MacBook Pro) is connected with a DVI-HDMI cable. The video plays fine; but no audio. Question: Can a DVI-HDMI cable transfer an audio signal?
Thank you.

It would be helpful if you'd provide the model number of your particular Panasonic, but if you check your owner's manual there should be instructions on getting audio from a DVI source connected to an HDMI input. On my GT50, i'd have to connect an audio cable from the laptop's headphone/speaker jack output to the analog audio input on my TV's Component/Composite Video input, then go into the audio menu and associate audio on that HDMI input to the Component/Composite Video input. Hopefully your TV has the same method available.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the responses. So I resolved my problem by using a DVI-HDMI cable to carry the video & another cable from the laptop's headphone jack to the audio input connectors on the back of the TV.

Thanks again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page