Recommendations for a Plasma with Swivel Base? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dperls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was hoping to get a little help with picking out a Plasma with one large caveat, it absolutely has to have a swivel base. I recently purchased a LED UN55EH6001 from best buy on the post black friday sale for $870. As for PQ, I'm not 100% impressed with it after calibration, the colors feel a bit washed out. I have a bit more available in my budget and am looking for a little direction. My previous 42in Samsung plasma had a swivel base, and I really didn't realize how important it was to me in my living room till it was gone. I have an open kitchen and we constantly swivel it towards the kitchen while we are cooking or eating at the table. I've tried a third party swivel base that the TV sits on, but it never stayed even and the weight of the tv moved the base too much, just didn't work.

The set is in a very bright room, floor to ceiling windows that are perpendicular to the tv about 6 feet away. I also have overhead track lighting with 14ft ceilings, however we never use it during the day, and at night its usually dimmed heavily.

Budget: $1300
Distance - 14 ft
Size - 55 or 60
Uses - Directv though HDMI, xbox 360, a LOT of sports/football watching.
Caveat - Must have a swivel base.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
dperls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
PeterG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperls View Post

So I was hoping to get a little help with picking out a Plasma with one large caveat, it absolutely has to have a swivel base. I recently purchased a LED UN55EH6001 from best buy on the post black friday sale for $870. As for PQ, I'm not 100% impressed with it after calibration, the colors feel a bit washed out. I have a bit more available in my budget and am looking for a little direction. My previous 42in Samsung plasma had a swivel base, and I really didn't realize how important it was to me in my living room till it was gone. I have an open kitchen and we constantly swivel it towards the kitchen while we are cooking or eating at the table. I've tried a third party swivel base that the TV sits on, but it never stayed even and the weight of the tv moved the base too much, just didn't work.
The set is in a very bright room, floor to ceiling windows that are perpendicular to the tv about 6 feet away. I also have overhead track lighting with 14ft ceilings, however we never use it during the day, and at night its usually dimmed heavily.
Budget: $1300
Distance - 14 ft
Size - 55 or 60
Uses - Directv though HDMI, xbox 360, a LOT of sports/football watching.
Caveat - Must have a swivel base.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your best choice within your price range would be the Samsung 51" E7000/E8000 (cheaper for some reason now than the E6500). Ideally, if you could stretch the price to $1600 you could get the 60" E6500 which would have noticeably better blacks, more resistance to image retention but somewhat less ultimate brightness. However, be aware that buzzing may be an issue.
PeterG is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Well none of the 55" and 60" Panasonics come with a swivel base - only the 50 inchers do. I think the larger Samsungs do swivel though so check into that.

The Panasonic ST50 has a good Anti-Reflective Filter, same as used on the higher GT50 and VT50 models, and these TVs have brighter screens than the Samsungs do. You should be able to get a 55" ST50 for your budget. The lower end U and UT series do not have a filter.

The Samsung PNE6500 and PNE7000 series also have a good AR Filter but they don't make a 55" size, and the bigger ones are probably out of your price range.

This company makes some pretty solid swivel bases, or you can buy just the bare swivel mechanism by itself and build your own - that's what i did some years ago and it didn't wobble or tilt at all.

http://www.bestvaluetvswivels.com/index.htm

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dperls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Your best choice within your price range would be the Samsung 51" E7000/E8000 (cheaper for some reason now than the E6500). Ideally, if you could stretch the price to $1600 you could get the 60" E6500 which would have noticeably better blacks, more resistance to image retention but somewhat less ultimate brightness. However, be aware that buzzing may be an issue.

I'll take a look at those models. I was trying to go 55 or 60, but it seems that may be out of my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well none of the 55" and 60" Panasonics come with a swivel base - only the 50 inchers do. I think the larger Samsungs do swivel though so check into that.
The Panasonic ST50 has a good Anti-Reflective Filter, same as used on the higher GT50 and VT50 models, and these TVs have brighter screens than the Samsungs do. You should be able to get a 55" ST50 for your budget. The lower end U and UT series do not have a filter.
The Samsung PNE6500 and PNE7000 series also have a good AR Filter but they don't make a 55" size, and the bigger ones are probably out of your price range.
This company makes some pretty solid swivel bases, or you can buy just the bare swivel mechanism by itself and build your own - that's what i did some years ago and it didn't wobble or tilt at all.
http://www.bestvaluetvswivels.com/index.htm

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at the ST50, I just wished it swiveled, I looked at that site and it looks like the base I would need is unavailable. I appreciate the response.

Perhaps I should be looking into the LED arena?
dperls is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperls View Post

I've tried a third party swivel base that the TV sits on, but it never stayed even and the weight of the tv moved the base too much, just didn't work.

Buy a better one. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a decent swivel base. I bought one from Circuit City (RIP) that is made from thick MDF and is very heavy. I used it for years without any problems. Your viewing distance is way too far for a 50". I don't want to buy a 50" Panasonic instead of a 55" just to get an integrated swivel base (even though I do need a swivel), and my viewing distance is half of what yours is. If you're really going to refuse to buy any TV that doesn't have a swivel base, and if the larger Samsung models do swivel, then buy one of those.
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dperls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Buy a better one. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a decent swivel base. I bought one from Circuit City (RIP) that is made from thick MDF and is very heavy. I used it for years without any problems. Your viewing distance is way too far for a 50". I don't want to buy a 50" Panasonic instead of a 55" just to get an integrated swivel base (even though I do need a swivel), and my viewing distance is half of what yours is. If you're really going to refuse to buy any TV that doesn't have a swivel base, and if the larger Samsung models do swivel, then buy one of those.

Yea I've been looking around. Just can't seem to find one that will work. The whole swivel thing seems crazy, I know.

As for viewing distance, thinking back I probably overestimated, its more like 11/12 feet then 14 feet,, but still think that's to far for a 50", it will definitely be either 55 or 60.

I was looking at the larger Samsungs, I am probably going to return the 6000 and just sit on my existing set for another few weeks and see if any poste Christmas or new years deals come around to lower the price a bit on the larger sets.
dperls is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I understand a swivel base being an important feature, because I use one myself. And it sucks that Panasonic only puts a swivel base on two 50" models. I just think that you could find a separate base that would suffice. The one I have is made from two sheets of MDF with the bearings in between. It was made to accommodate the size and weight of a 27" CRT, so if I need to start using it again for a 55" plasma, it should work just fine.
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I forgot to mention that my SIL wanted to turn her 50" S2 away from the windows in the afternoons so we waxed her TV table then tried a few different towels under the stand and found one that enabled the TV to be turned easily by hand on the now slippery table top. She cut that old towel down so it's just a little smaller than the TV's base so it's not visible - and the TV moved very easily by hand.

And the new models are a lot lighter now so it doesn't take a lot of effort to hook your fingers under on corner and turn the TV on it's base. I was doing this with my older G10 before i hung it on an articulated arm mount.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Rschissler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend got a 50" Panasonic plasma and put it on this swivel base. It seems more than adequate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A9FHBE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
Rschissler is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off