Does my TV have burn in or is it image retention? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a Panasonic ST50 for about a month and I love it. Admittedly, I was a little late in breaking it in as I had already been using it for about 20-25 hours before I did it. Nevertheless, I ran D Nice's slides and calibrated it accordingly.

Anyway, last night I was watching ESPN. I was switching between that and the Science Channel until about 9 o'clock when a basketball game I wanted to watch came on. It was probably on that station for maybe 4 hours straight, but as long as 6 changing between that and the Science Channel. I then turned it off for the night.

This morning I noticed the ESPN logo in the bottom right of the screen. I ran the scrolling bar tool or about 30 minutes thinking it was just like IR. It was still there. I looked into it and decided I would just run a looping video of snow. It has been about 3 hours of running that and the image has disappeared somewhat, but it's there and quite noticeable.

Will this go away or should I call Panasonic or Amazon? I realize this model has IR problems and while I shouldn't have left the screen on like that, it's still annoying to have to deal with.

Thanks for any help you guys might give and I apologize if this is not the right board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeon View Post

Will this go away

Yes.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I hope so. I've been running it the same snow along with intermittent scrolling bar and it's very slowly going away. It's just weird that it takes so long to get rid of it when, by comparison, the image was on the screen for a shorter time.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is the type of thing that makes me hesitant to buy a 60st50 and has me leaning toward the 60e6500. It is ridiculous to have to be afraid to watch a basketball game on your glorious new tv because of IR fear. Blah...im torn.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #5 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post

This is the type of thing that makes me hesitant to buy a 60st50 and has me leaning toward the 60e6500. It is ridiculous to have to be afraid to watch a basketball game on your glorious new tv because of IR fear. Blah...im torn.

Same, except with the GT50 and E7000, but then buzzing on E7000 pushes me back towards the GT50. I'm just going to wait until the 2013's come out. Will be gone all next month anyways.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #6 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
If it is fading at all then it will go away. Be patient and stay at it. Nearly always the more hours you put on it the less prone it will be to ir.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #7 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input.

I've ran the snow, scrolling bar, and even just a static white image all night and it seems only a little better. Not sure what else to do. It's borderline heartbreaking to think that just from a few hours of regular TV watching, I might have done permanent damage to it.

I'll keep at it for a while, though, and see.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM

Greetings, I am new here and thought it better to post here instead of start a new thread.

I'm having a similar issue with my Panasonic TC-P42S30. As much as I researched plasma tvs before buying one I never came across the 'breaking in' process. Still, I've always kept the pixel orbiter on and always turn it off when I know I'll be away more than a few minutes. I had contrast settings set to +65 (wow factor; know better now) when I started playing one game pretty regularly and despite my precautions I now have a faint, blurry greyish inventory display in the lower left of the screen. I had been playing the game for a few hours earlier this month and only noticed the image when I played a different game after leaving the tv for two weeks. It seems easier to notice against some colours but disappears against others. The image rentention/burn-in is from mostly white/yellow items and text.

I was pretty worried at first, but not so much now that I see it could be alleviated. My questions are:

1. When using the anti-image retention scrolling bar, should I have the contrast settings as they were when the image rentention/burn-in occured? I lowered it to +50 as soon as I noticed the images.

2. I purchased the tv in February and since then I have never used it more than six hours a day and never more than five days a month (work schedule). Would using a break-in DVD still be effective? I'm not sure I can find the panels active time anywhere in the settings.

3. The tv seems to have some very faint, wide vertical bars where the white isn't quite as bright as the rest of the screen. It came like this and I thought it would go away eventually, but it hasn't. Since the tv is still under warranty should I call Panasonic about this or is this normal to some tvs?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Don't look at it! tongue.gif Soon you'll forget about it and by then it will fade away.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Figured I'd post an update. I found a logo removing dvd iso, found here: http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/plasmatv/#.UNzzpG92wcA. It seems to work ok. I've probably ran it a total of 24 hours, maybe even more.

The logo has lessened, but is still there. Not sure how long I will have to do it, but there is now a new problem. I was playing Persona 4 Arena for about half an hour, running the IR scrolling bar every 5 or 10 minutes. On the right hand side, the health bar is now visible and the scrolling bar won't get rid of it. I am now running the DVD to hopefully see if that will work.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective TV because this amount of IR, even with the babying I'm doing to it, is kind of ridiculous. What's worse is that this is the third new TV I have been through in 3 months. I tried two LEDs and wasn't happy with them because of severe DSE and banding issues, even out of the box. I ultimately went with plasma because of the picture quality and I knew the risks of IR, but I didn't think it was going to be like this. I only have the contrast at 80 and it's never been higher than 82.

As it is now, I am spending more time trying to fix problems with it than I am watching it or using it. It's very frustrating.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeon View Post

Figured I'd post an update. I found a logo removing dvd iso, found here: http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/plasmatv/#.UNzzpG92wcA. It seems to work ok. I've probably ran it a total of 24 hours, maybe even more.
The logo has lessened, but is still there. Not sure how long I will have to do it, but there is now a new problem. I was playing Persona 4 Arena for about half an hour, running the IR scrolling bar every 5 or 10 minutes. On the right hand side, the health bar is now visible and the scrolling bar won't get rid of it. I am now running the DVD to hopefully see if that will work.
I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective TV because this amount of IR, even with the babying I'm doing to it, is kind of ridiculous. What's worse is that this is the third new TV I have been through in 3 months. I tried two LEDs and wasn't happy with them because of severe DSE and banding issues, even out of the box. I ultimately went with plasma because of the picture quality and I knew the risks of IR, but I didn't think it was going to be like this. I only have the contrast at 80 and it's never been higher than 82.
As it is now, I am spending more time trying to fix problems with it than I am watching it or using it. It's very frustrating.
If you are a big gamer, plasma is not for you.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #12 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 AM

My advice is just watch normal content in full screen and run slider few hours a day. IR'll fade eventually, may be in few weeks or a month
If you're so concern about it then plasma isn't for you
post #13 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Same, except with the GT50 and E7000, but then buzzing on E7000 pushes me back towards the GT50. I'm just going to wait until the 2013's come out. Will be gone all next month anyways.

I have the 51E7000 (purchases cyber monday) and watch ESPN constantly. NO IR or Buzz. IR was a big reason why I didn't want to get the ST50. Didn't want to "baby" my Plasma all the time. Suppose to enjoy it not worry about it.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey View Post

I have the 51E7000 (purchases cyber monday) and watch ESPN constantly. NO IR or Buzz. IR was a big reason why I didn't want to get the ST50. Didn't want to "baby" my Plasma all the time. Suppose to enjoy it not worry about it.

Except not all ST50's are susceptible to IR, many folks have zero IR and zero buzz, just like many people complain about Samsungs buzzing but yours doesnt. No blanket statement can be accurate. So you can go on ancedotal evidence or experience it for yourself.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's not necessarily a fault of the technology because I know plenty of people don't have problems. I think I just got a particularly sensitive unit. I've ran more of that "logo remover" and it's going away, albeit slowly, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully the panel will even out as it ages. Thankfully, I do most of my gaming on PC and I only try to keep my console gaming to maybe an hour or so at most.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page