If I don't have $1000 will the 50UT50 sufice for $699? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
confused.gif

LG 47LS4500 $579
U50 $599
UT $699
ST $999
GT $1139

I really want the ST but bahhh money

What is the input lag difference on these and is the U50 just a UT without 3D or will the UT perform better?
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Semp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
LG is a no go. The UT50 is extremely good especially at that price.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Semp1 is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

LG is a no go. The UT50 is extremely good especially at that price.
You sure? have you seen them?

Are there ANY LCD's that can compare? Samsing UNEH5000, 5300F, 6000, 6030? Panny E50, ET50, E5? LG LM4600, 4700, 5800, 6200 and the LS5700 I don't get all the differences? I can't seem to find a decent one till its over $1000
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really need help and don't know what to get, Id rather have a better looking 42" than a 46 or 50"

When I look at LCD's I don't care they are not the ST50 but with the UT50 I just feel like the ST or GT50 would be so much better
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The 50UT50 is very nice, especially at that price. Shares many specs and features of the ST and GT, but lacks the extended custom controls. And the screen is a bit glossy, so be mindful of glare. But still very nice pic quality and a better choice than Samsung E530 and LG 5500/6500.
tylerSC is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Member
 
cv1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you can afford it, go with the ST50. From reading reviews, the ST50 has noticeably better bright room performance than the UT series, but if you have a light controlled room, the UT series is no slouch, especially at it's price point.
cv1981 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The 50UT50 is very nice, especially at that price. Shares many specs and features of the ST and GT, but lacks the extended custom controls. And the screen is a bit glossy, so be mindful of glare. But still very nice pic quality and a better choice than Samsung E530 and LG 5500/6500.
It is? cuz I want just going to ask about the 530 and 550, is the 530 or 550 any brghter?

the 450 is only 730 right?

Whats the difference from the U to UT? Just no 3D?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

If you can afford it, go with the ST50. From reading reviews, the ST50 has noticeably better bright room performance than the UT series, but if you have a light controlled room, the UT series is no slouch, especially at it's price point.
So basically id have to have my lights off all the time and watch in the dark?

Also looking at the Toshiba 47L5200U, sorta replaced the LG
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I'm sure the UT50 will more than suffice for $699 if you can control the light in your room. If you've got a very bright room you might want LCD/LED.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I actually have a fairly dim room in the basement, I just don't want to have to be in the dark.

I have read every 2012 Cnet TV review like twice and cross referenced them with other sites like PCMAG and others so I'm pretty burnt out, I just want to get something. I can't believe how many TV's they just toss aside as crap IQ even though most of them are best sellers in stores.

The only LCD I have seem to narrowed it down to is the Toshiba 47L5200U or maybe the Sony 42" 440 but I would like a 46"
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

I actually have a fairly dim room in the basement, I just don't want to have to be in the dark.
I have read every 2012 Cnet TV review like twice and cross referenced them with other sites like PCMAG and others so I'm pretty burnt out, I just want to get something. I can't believe how many TV's they just toss aside as crap IQ even though most of them are best sellers in stores.
The only LCD I have seem to narrowed it down to is the Toshiba 47L5200U or maybe the Sony 42" 440 but I would like a 46"

Just shows the average consumer is not very discerning

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Best sellers in stores are normally the cheap stuff. Keep in mind the likes of Wall mart normally only stock the cheapest models. The UT50 is a bargain at this price and much better than any other model mentioned here. Only high-end LCDs can match the plasma picture and even so , very few of them.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
cv1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

It is? cuz I want just going to ask about the 530 and 550, is the 530 or 550 any brghter?
the 450 is only 730 right?
Whats the difference from the U to UT? Just no 3D?
So basically id have to have my lights off all the time and watch in the dark?
Also looking at the Toshiba 47L5200U, sorta replaced the LG


I have a Panasonic U50 in a basement with only 2 windows off to the sides of the tv, so no direct sunlight enters the room, but even on a sunny afternoon with the shades up, i find the U50 to still show a nice picture. The blacks do become a bit grey, but it's not like the picture becomes unwatchable.
cv1981 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Just shows the average consumer is not very discerning
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Best sellers in stores are normally the cheap stuff. Keep in mind the likes of Wall mart normally only stock the cheapest models. The UT50 is a bargain at this price and much better than any other model mentioned here. Only high-end LCDs can match the plasma picture and even so , very few of them.
I mean like the Sony EX440 and Samsung LED's, LG and Vizio not like cheapos like Insignia or Westinghouse.

So U vs UT for $100 please?
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Actually how does the UT50 compare to the S30 and ST30 sense I have seen those. If its brighter than the S30 I should be fine my friend has it and its great.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I got my UT50, so will the ST50 be brighter in a dark room? or will the blacks just be blacker in a dark room? It's pretty much what I was afraid of, lights on=gray almost like my LCD but more uniform, lights off=ink black

Also in my custom settings it kinda looks to bright and washed out but brightness and sharpness don't seem to do much? and lowering the contrast lowers the brightness

Cinema mode is the most accurate? It looks to soft with whites being off white and slightly to warm colors then vivid just looks awful ha
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Cinema mode should be the best out of the box. Check the High Def Junkies website to see whether D-Nice has posted his recommended settings for the UT50. The UT50 and ST50 should look very similar in a dark room. In a bright room is where the ST50 will look better.
BillP is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ScaryFatKidGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there other hidden adjustment? Like even with stuff set the same the modes look different. Cinema is actually not bad once you get it off warm 2 to neutral or warm 1.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Your best bet for settings is to check out the dedicated thread on this display, and search High Def Junkies web site for D-Nice's recommended settings (he didn't post them here at AVS).
BillP is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off