new guy, just bought p55st50 last night. overwhelmed with everything. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so there are alot of threads pertaining to the 55st50 about proper break in (never really new you had to bed in a tv set, dialing in the color correctly, and a whole bunch of other 3d stuff that i have no clue about. im upgrading from a 42" panny plasma that gave me the 10 red light blinks of death week ago. this time i bought the 5 yr warranty. anyways, fantastic site you all have here, ive read countless pages of how to set this, what color settings, and break in procudures, but not aure which way to go about it. theres quite a few different ways to go about it.

this is my current set up:
tc-p55st50
ps3 with 4.1 firmware
monster 1000hdx hdmi x2 (ps3, cable box)
toslink for ps3 audio
sony str-de885 5.1 dts receiver (old, but works awesome, minus not having the 7.1)
3d glasses http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/Product.aspx?l=00010001000100090000&p=A1S01276

so any usefull tips or links to color settings and break in, or anything else i need to know about this set? i hope the anti-glare screen isnt a tinted looking as it was in BB. i have no need for an anti-glare set where mine is located.

thanks guys.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM

Liked: 12
Don't watch news or leave stuff on it for hours strait in the first couple of months

and turn the power saver off
post #3 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 272
First thing I'd do is return those Monster HDMI cables because you probably paid a premium price for them and can get just as good of cables for a lot less. As long as they are Certified High Speed HDMI cables from someone like Monoprice, MediaBridge, BlueJeans, etc you'll get the same performance.

Follow what ever break in procedures are suggested for your plasma and then just use the user controls that are available to you to see if you can adjust it to you liking. Some sets are pretty close to rec.709 out of the box and you may have to only make a few minor adjustments. If not, I'd get a disk such as the free AVS HD709 disk or one of the other commercial ones (WoW, DVE, etc) and learn how to adjust your set for brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect, color, etc. You can try to find someone who has your set and is willing to share their settings for you but that more times than not doesn't work very well because component tolerances vary from set to set (even the exact same model) and your viewing environment is different.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
And return those expensive Monster HDMI cables and buy some $3 cables from Monoprice.

There is a current thread discussing "break in" right here on the first page (one of dozens if not hundreds of break-in threads) so just read that one.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

tks, i apreciate the help. i looked for DNice's break in post, but i dont have the calibration disc, or any of the like. i also work 12-14 hr days 6-7 days a week, so i dont have time to run a disc for days at a time. is there a basic way i can break in the set just by watching movies or tv with out any logos or side bars being broadcasted to avoid burn in?

ive also searched for some color setting, but im still coming up empty handed. ive found a couple posts that have somesettings, but both basically contradict each others settings.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
Don't rack your brain over it. Just watch a little bit of everything and like mentioned above do not watch news, sports or play games for hours on end straight. Anything that has still graphics like a sports score, station ID in the bottom or top corner, ticker etc can pose a problem if watched continuously for hours. Mix it up and your TV should be fine.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you're skeptical about not getting some break ins done then do what I did if possible, download a movie on your PC and connect your TV to it and just let it run in full screen on repeat 24/7 for a few days - that's what I'm currently doing.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

i found some settings on c-net andf inputed them to the set. nothing too bright at first, but decent to watch.tried watching The bourne legacy, but has upper/lower black bars in H-fill, so had to watch it in zoom mode (crappy). already told the g/f NOT to watch anything with side/upper bars or tickers on the screen for any longer time of 15-20 mins at most for the first 100 hrs. m not real impressed with the shaded screen filter on this set compared to my other 42" panny plasma. maby it will get better with hrs on the set. going to watch total recall tonight. since working 12-14 hr days days a week (from Aug to march every year), i tend to watch quite a few movies.

thanks again everyone for the help.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I don't watch any movies zoomed on mine & it is still new. First night I watched 2.35 movie too. Just mix up the viewing. I just put it on regular tv for a while after watching a 2.35 movie & have seen no issues with IR at all. Enjoy your new set just be a little careful but not overly so. One other note I have a 65" ^& had to raise my Gamma from 2.6 to 2.4 as it was too dark on dark scenes. You might want to try that. My understanding is the larger sets like ours work better at 2.4 while 2.6 is good on the 50".

Cam
post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. bourne legacy was over 2 hrs, and was in wide screen (black bars top/bottom). i wasnt sure if it would be safe to play the movie with the bars for that long of a time on a brand new set. so i went with the zoom mode to play it safe. albeit it was rather crappy to watch in that mode. from rading all the horror stories about IR, its got me a little unerving about whats being played. i think my best option is to just watch some awesome tv/movies and enjoy the thing. also, i cant wait to check out a few games on the ps3.

i put it on 2.4 and 2.2and did a comparison of them. the 2.4 has a slightly darker shade, vs the 2.2 which is a tad lighter, but not over lighter where the picture looks odd.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My ST50 was safe to watch 2hour letterboxed movies right from the start.
It was only susceptable to IR from bright white logos, not from black bars, in the first 500 hour or so.
So just avoid as much as possible bright white logos and text (even from the menus) early on and mix up viewing with slides and the sliding white bar feature.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

so i have 2 weeks of watching tv on this set. I like the set very much, but i do NOT like the glare screen. it makes the picture look tinted. ive tried to adjust the brightness, and other settings, but have come up empty. i have the color set up to the figures i found on Cnet. i have zero issues with glare in my living room, so i think this set might have been a mistake to purchace because of the screen filter. dont get me wrong, the picture quality is awesome, but the glare filter is my only gripe.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonRR View Post

tks, i apreciate the help. i looked for DNice's break in post, but i dont have the calibration disc, or any of the like. i also work 12-14 hr days 6-7 days a week, so i dont have time to run a disc for days at a time. is there a basic way i can break in the set just by watching movies or tv with out any logos or side bars being broadcasted to avoid burn in?

You can download the slides as images and put them on a USB drive or SD card. Just pop that in the ports on the TV and use the picture slide show in the viera tools menu to run it (normal settings other than speed to slow and make sure repeat is on).

http://eaprogramming.com/

Just click the link by the DVD Break In logo, then download the zip file under the images section on the page that pops up.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, i let the color slides play thru the night. not sure if will help now after ive been watching tv/movies for 2 weeks, but im sure it cant hurt anything. right?
thanks again for the link, greatly appreciated! i popped in a game last night just to see how badass this tv set is (picture wise), i put in the mortal combat game (2011), and holy crap does the picture look vivid and fantastic.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page