post #31 of 39 Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman123 View Post

So what is your upscaling solution?
I just bought a 65GT50 and notice the same thing from OTA antenna with stations at 720p.
I don't have cable, so i need something else to upscale as well.
thanks
I purchased a Onkyo RC460 at BB for 300.00. It upscales to 1080p perfectly. I was planning on making a home theater purchase anyway so it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM

scott,

Thanks, but my problem is I don't have or want cable, so I first need a stand alone OTA tuner which can then output hdmi to a receiver or bluray player that can do the scaling. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a stand alone tuner like that.

thanks
post #33 of 39 Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

What size set did you get and experience this issue?
I have the 50" ST50. Last week I sold my 720p Apple TV and replaced it with a 1080p model - which of course solves the issue for that particular source. Now the only place I experience the issue is with 720p channels OTA.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #34 of 39 Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM

I thought I was losing it until I stumbled upon this thread.
I own an older panasonic plasma 50" that doesn't have this issue at all.
However, I recently received a Samsung LED as a gift and couldn't stomach the clouding the edge lit LED was producing while watching darker scenes in movies, or games.
Not too mention how bad SD looked.
So I exchanged it for a new panny 55" plasma TC-55ST50. 1080i and P both look amazing... then I noticed the painting affect when watching Modern Family on ABC (which comes in at native 720p).

I fixed this by setting my directv box to only output in 1080i and 1080p... now the menus look great and even the upscaled 720p channels have lost the painted look.
I also unchecked 720p my ps3 so games output in 1080
UPDATE: Scratch that - some games will only output in 720p and if it's unchecked on the PS3 it drops to 480p and so forth.

I still can't understand for the life of me why this is even an issue with a TV of this caliber, especially in this day and age. NOT TO MENTION when the same brand of TV that is 4 years older doesn't have this issue at all.

I attached a picture of a picture used in the directv menu that ranges from 480, 720 and 1080i for reference
I'm tempted to call Panasonic to see if they know... I'm going to go ahead and guess they don't even have a clue

photo-1.jpeg 2325k .jpeg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg photo-1.jpeg (2.27 MB, 47 views)
post #35 of 39 Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
Just noticed this with my 55VT50. Previously I had my TiVo set to only output at 1080i (and pass 1080p through), so didn't see it because the TiVo was doing the upscaling of 720p cable channels to 1080i. I don't watch many SD channels, but because I noticed that the TiVo's upscaling of SD was a bit soft, I wanted to see what the VT50 could do. So I changed the settings on my TiVo to output all channels at the resolution they were received, so the VT50 could do the upscaling. The first thing I noticed was that, at a viewing distance of about nine feet, the SD content was much sharper than with the TiVo doing the upscaling. That said, I also noticed that the channels broadcast at 720p actually now looked a bit softer compared to what they were previously. When I got up close to the screen I could see the effect the OP is referring to, but I'd instead say it's closer to the look of a cubist painting (but not as dramatic, obv.).

Similar to the OP, this effect is easier to see with static images - especially of people's faces -but I did in general find it harder to notice with some 720p channels compared to others. Also, to really see it I need to be right up next to the screen, about a foot or so away. But again, even though I need to be so close to really see the problem, at my normal viewing distance I'm still affected by it, as it makes the picture look softer. These reasons, plus the fact that some cable channels are broadcast in 1080i (meaning it would be impossible to see this problem on those channels) and that with other cable boxes it might not be straightforward or even possible to keep the box from upconverting 720p to 1080i, might explain why some owners of Panasonic plasmas notice the problem and others don't. On a side note, I confirmed that my brother-in-law's 65GT50 also has this problem.

I'm not incredibly surprised the VT50 has this problem just like the GT50, as my understanding is that there isn't a large difference between them (i.e. 24p/96, ISFccc, Infinite Black Ultra filter, Touch pad controller, design differences). I'm glad my TiVo can better upconvert 720p source material, but it is a bit disappointing that I'd have to buy an additional intermediary device to do so if that weren't the case.
post #36 of 39 Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor3 View Post

Just noticed this with my 55VT50. Previously I had my TiVo set to only output at 1080i (and pass 1080p through), so didn't see it because the TiVo was doing the upscaling of 720p cable channels to 1080i. I don't watch many SD channels, but because I noticed that the TiVo's upscaling of SD was a bit soft, I wanted to see what the VT50 could do. So I changed the settings on my TiVo to output all channels at the resolution they were received, so the VT50 could do the upscaling. The first thing I noticed was that, at a viewing distance of about nine feet, the SD content was much sharper than with the TiVo doing the upscaling. That said, I also noticed that the channels broadcast at 720p actually now looked a bit softer compared to what they were previously. When I got up close to the screen I could see the effect the OP is referring to, but I'd instead say it's closer to the look of a cubist painting (but not as dramatic, obv.).

Similar to the OP, this effect is easier to see with static images - especially of people's faces -but I did in general find it harder to notice with some 720p channels compared to others. Also, to really see it I need to be right up next to the screen, about a foot or so away. But again, even though I need to be so close to really see the problem, at my normal viewing distance I'm still affected by it, as it makes the picture look softer. These reasons, plus the fact that some cable channels are broadcast in 1080i (meaning it would be impossible to see this problem on those channels) and that with other cable boxes it might not be straightforward or even possible to keep the box from upconverting 720p to 1080i, might explain why some owners of Panasonic plasmas notice the problem and others don't. On a side note, I confirmed that my brother-in-law's 65GT50 also has this problem.

I'm not incredibly surprised the VT50 has this problem just like the GT50, as my understanding is that there isn't a large difference between them (i.e. 24p/96, ISFccc, Infinite Black Ultra filter, Touch pad controller, design differences). I'm glad my TiVo can better upconvert 720p source material, but it is a bit disappointing that I'd have to buy an additional intermediary device to do so if that weren't the case.

I use the Tivo to upconvert also, well documented weakness of the 2012 Pannys tho They do alot of thing really really well but upscaling and video processing isnt on that list

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #37 of 39 Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Panasonic P50UT50 Posterization or False Contouring

Thank you everyone for showing me I'm not going insane. I've had this TV for about 6 months, and thought I was losing my mind. I've tried every conceivable setting change and the posterization on skin tones is appalling whatever I try.

In New Zealand
Seems OK on Blu Ray (1080p I believe)
But is horrible in MySky HDi and Freeview DTV (1080i I believe, which is the problem apparently)

Most noticeable when camera pans across person's face etc and you get the posterization effect.

I've been complaining to Panasonic and Harvey Norman (retail store) who seem to have no idea that it even occurs or what the problem is. And that's my tough luck for buying a low end plasma. Trouble is my old TH-42PV70 never had this problem and I regret selling it to "upgrade"

Anyway, I have finally managed to get the store to take it back and replace. However, from what I've seen on this thread and others, it could happen with other models.

I've always thought Panasonic were the best Plasma but now I'm not so sure. Anyone got any calibration/settings/etc that will minimise this?
Any idea if the Samsungs do the same? I was thinking of the PN51E550.

How do they handle it? do they get motion blur?

I can't believe this is even a problem a user has to fiddle with to try and eliminate
post #38 of 39 Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How the tv is calibrated ,where blacks are black and whites are white so it has a large contrast ratio reduces the blurRy image a bit . There is defenitely some blur on the budget Samsung e450 here, but not as bad as that image shown. And for motion blur there is defenitely some there, but not like lcds...ive read the 550 has better motion than mine but haven't seen it... Depends what the program your watching( most stuff sd and hd is pretty good but the very odd thing looks terrible on sd like motion On sports) and sitting further away reduces problems.A lot of the problems are the cable company's compression and The source material.

Good calibration Tweaking can make the difference between something average looking and something a bit more acceptable or incredible, but mo money. I use the native setting on box.
post #39 of 39 Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdale123 View Post

Panasonic P50UT50 Posterization or False Contouring

Thank you everyone for showing me I'm not going insane. I've had this TV for about 6 months, and thought I was losing my mind. I've tried every conceivable setting change and the posterization on skin tones is appalling whatever I try.

In New Zealand
Seems OK on Blu Ray (1080p I believe)
But is horrible in MySky HDi and Freeview DTV (1080i I believe, which is the problem apparently)

Most noticeable when camera pans across person's face etc and you get the posterization effect.

I've been complaining to Panasonic and Harvey Norman (retail store) who seem to have no idea that it even occurs or what the problem is. And that's my tough luck for buying a low end plasma. Trouble is my old TH-42PV70 never had this problem and I regret selling it to "upgrade"

Anyway, I have finally managed to get the store to take it back and replace. However, from what I've seen on this thread and others, it could happen with other models.

I've always thought Panasonic were the best Plasma but now I'm not so sure. Anyone got any calibration/settings/etc that will minimise this?
Any idea if the Samsungs do the same? I was thinking of the PN51E550.

How do they handle it? do they get motion blur?

I can't believe this is even a problem a user has to fiddle with to try and eliminate

False contouring (or posterization) is an issue on many PDP's, especially if the gamma is off and the color settings are not calibrated properly. I have found that re-calibrating (I use a set up DVD) my set in the cinema mode, rather then sticking with the more popular custom mode, reduced this effect dramatically. This is likely due to the fact that many flat panel TV's are calibrated more closely to ATSC standards in the cinema/movie mode. It may not offer as much contrast and brightness as some of the other modes, but that can be usually solved by tweaking those settings. Although this article was written a few years ago, it not only made a big difference on my 2010 Panny, but from what I've seen and heard recently, this issue still applies to some Panny PDP models even today. I believe the photo samples speak for themselves.

http://elephantav.wordpress.com/technical-articles/display-screen-calibration-is-it-necessary/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page