Cant decide between TV's + Contrast Ratio question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I been trying to decide what type of TV i want to buy, i have a 42in LG Plasma for the past 5 years that i really like, and i just sort of have a thing for plasma tvs now, i think there color quality / depth is so much better.

I went to best buy and narrowed it down to

Samsung 3,000,000:1 Contrast ratio

LG Same Contrast

I physically saw these in the store and i really liked the picture of both, couldn't really tell a difference in picture quality. The main difference is the LG has 3 HDMIs, but its also 100 bucks cheaper. So i am at a stump here. I read a reviewer on his Samsung having an annoying humming noise, but i have also read that Samsung's are the least likely for image retention

Then when i was pretty sure i would definitely stick with plasma and get one of these two, i found Sharp Aquos, 4,000,000:1 Contrast ratio

I'm sure this was in store, but i did not physically see this one, but in general all the LED's seemed really bright, and sometimes made the picture look fake.

Does contrast ratio mean that this LED would have deeper black levels? Or just more color? Or is 3. to 4 not even that visible of a difference? Any help here would be appreciated, along with recommendations on either of them also.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Except for the very high-end LEDs, plasmas will give you better blacks and better contrast. Those contrast ratio numbers are BS (marketing hype). Stick with Samsung or Panasonic plasma (personally, I prefer Panny). LG is generally considered 3rd best (out of 3 plasma manufacturers).
post #3 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd take a look at the Panasonic ST50 series. Amazon usually has some good prices and they are fantastic tv's!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Never, never, NEVER pay attention to advertised contrast ratio figures. They're complete BS. If you want the truth about a TV's black levels, read a professional review. And from those reviews, you'll find that LCD/LED contrast ratios generally suck compared to plasma.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page