Burn-in/IR Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I have searched the forum but couldn't find a similar question as the one I am about to ask, sorry for double post if I missed it.

I have the Panasonic UT50 screen, the tv had about 75 hours on it, and I was trying to be careful for the first 100, like everyone says. I purchased "Assassins creed 3" for the ps3 and played it for 7-8 hours the one day, completely forgetting about burn-in/IR. Now at the bottom of the screen there is a slight slight black bar (health bar), but its not noticeable unless the screen is completely white behind it. Dark images or HDTV video and you cannot see it, its barely noticeable at all. I have watched another 7-8 hours of full screen HDTV and ran the "image retention" bar across a few times, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Question 1) Do you guys think its just IR and will go away eventually or Permanent burn-in?

Question 2) If i continue to play Assassins Creed 3 on it, will it make it worst? Even if i play for shortened periods?

Thank you so much for your help,

Wizard421
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Well - will try again: Posted ONE reply, which became 4 replies (all duplicates) - deleted TWO of the duplicates, and then ended up with NO replies! mad.gif

Q1: IR, and it will eventually go away.

Q2: Yes, and Yes.

Prolonged viewing of a Bright Static Image is most frequently associated with IR.
However, repeated viewings of an image - in the same screen location - can also cause IR.

Most likely culprits in the latter case are such items as the "MENU" or "GUIDE" letting from your cable company.

FWIW, our 60ST50 was prone to Quick-Onset, Medium- to LONG-Duration IR until some point PAST 400+ hours of usage.

Panel's tendency toward IR has steadily improved since that point, and IR no longer appears to be a problem with this panel (and hopefully it will remain NOT a problem!).

(Disclaimer: We neither GAME, nor use the panel as a Super Large Computer Monitor....)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the answer.
So basically dont play that game for a while and hope that it goes away,and if it doesnt go away then its burnt in and if it does go away I can play again no worries.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I've also fallen victim to whatever it may be, be it Image Retention or Burn In. I have the 65GT50 that I bought off Amazon the week of Thanksgiving. I didn't do the slides, and have had it on THX Cinema mode since day 1. Well, I have noticed that two channels that I watch a lot, the local NBC affiliate, and Tru-TV, both have their logos burned into the lower right hand side. I tried doing the Image Retention swipe (black and white scroll) for 15 minutes that's part of the setup menu on the tv, but that didn't help. I can't figure out how to turn on Pixel Orbiter, but who knows if that would help either.

I am not happy and not sure what to do at this point. I really don't want to be stuck with a brand new tv that I paid a lot of money for and less than two months in, having it ruined already. frown.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Well, I've also fallen victim to whatever it may be, be it Image Retention or Burn In. I have the 65GT50 that I bought off Amazon the week of Thanksgiving. I didn't do the slides, and have had it on THX Cinema mode since day 1. Well, I have noticed that two channels that I watch a lot, the local NBC affiliate, and Tru-TV, both have their logos burned into the lower right hand side. I tried doing the Image Retention swipe (black and white scroll) for 15 minutes that's part of the setup menu on the tv, but that didn't help. I can't figure out how to turn on Pixel Orbiter, but who knows if that would help either.
I am not happy and not sure what to do at this point. I really don't want to be stuck with a brand new tv that I paid a lot of money for and less than two months in, having it ruined already. frown.gif

try popping in a pixar movie and letting it run all the way through.
See if that fixes the IR
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM

AC3 on XBOX360 allows you to turn off all HUD elements. Not as convenient but you can play!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page