Picture Degradation Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed a new 60" panasonic in our main viewing area and moved our 3 yr old TCP50G15 down to the basement. There was a significant degradation of the picture quality after the move. Before, in the main viewing area, it was connected to a pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver. The cable ran to the DVR with an hdmi connection between DVR and receiver, and hdmi between receiver and tv. Now in the basement I am just running cable from DVR to tv - no hdmi. Would this explain the degradation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by krx622 View Post

I just installed a new 60" panasonic in our main viewing area and moved our 3 yr old TCP50G15 down to the basement. There was a significant degradation of the picture quality after the move. Before, in the main viewing area, it was connected to a pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver. The cable ran to the DVR with an hdmi connection between DVR and receiver, and hdmi between receiver and tv. Now in the basement I am just running cable from DVR to tv - no hdmi. Would this explain the degradation?

That receiver just passes the video signal through. I have the same setup and whether I go direct or through the AVR it makes no difference. What sort of degradation are seeing? if you are now using component cables, you will not get the same quality as with HDMI, even if you are feeding it the same resolution format from the same DVR.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

That receiver just passes the video signal through. I have the same setup and whether I go direct or through the AVR it makes no difference. What sort of degradation are seeing? if you are now using component cables, you will not get the same quality as with HDMI, even if you are feeding it the same resolution format from the same DVR.
Ian
Mostly the picture is just kinda blurry or indistinct. Like watching tv on an old cathode ray tube set. Some shadowing (not sure what to call it exactly) around text - eg, letters will have faint shadows of themselves repeating around them.

I'm running an old catv 6 series cable connection from the DVR to the tv - no component cables. I'm wondering if it's the old cable or maybe the comcast box, an older Motorola DCT2224-1661-ACDeck digital cable converter.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You need to run either HDMI or component cables from the HD-DVR to your HDTV (assuming it's an HD-DVR).
post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

You need to run either HDMI or component cables from the HD-DVR to your HDTV (assuming it's an HD-DVR).
Well the box does not have hdmi or component connections, only composite. So I'm guessing the box is the problem.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Definitely the box

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by krx622 View Post

Well the box does not have hdmi or component connections, only composite. So I'm guessing the box is the problem.
That must not be an HD box, since you can only get SD resolution from a coax or composite output.
Trade it for an HD box with HDMI and component outputs that support 1080i HD format.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm getting comcast's "anyroom" service installed next week, so that should solve the problem.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page