VT50 yellow-ish blob on display - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 999 Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
No, IMO, it is poor service. And I have noticed that Panasonic have gone from best service to mediocre, poor service.

I don't know if anyone remembers but about 6 years ago when Panasonic were first unveiling their Viera FHD plasma series, they introduced Panasonic Concierge. If your TV failed, Panasonic provided you, free of charge, a temporary replacement of equivalent functionality.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/07/panasonic-plasma-concierge-program/

Something happened to this. They cancelled it for some reason, I'm guessing they decided they could get away with cheaper support.

In addition, the time to order a panel isn't long; if you go onto a service parts website, you can get most panels turned around in a couple of days, a week tops. For a larger 50"+ panel, there might be a longer turnaround time. In which case, I would say Panasonic ought to replace the customer's TV with a new, fully functional one, and keep the old one for refurbishment to recover their costs.

The funny thing is, you really don't need to order a new panel to fix this, at least not temporarily and quite possibly permanently. Their service policy is stuck in piles of red tape and procedure. Picture problem = every board then the panel. Maybe you get lucky and they swap the panel first. But there's never any attempt to diagnose the symptom, it's always swap swap swap because the document 123 says refer to document 789 subsection 3 paragraph 9 which says these boards are swapped first, never any logic applied. They could, for example, set the VSUS pots correctly, order a new panel and allow the customer to enjoy the TV while the panel is being ordered. Their policy would not allow this as it stands.

When you spend $2,000+ on a TV, you expect good service.

That being said, Panasonic isn't alone. Both LG and Samsung have the same problem, but they've always had it, as far as I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 999 Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by djn2004 View Post

I had this issue in June on a 55VT50 I bought last September. I had the round blob in the upper left and the oval blob along the right side.

I called the customer support line and they tried to "troubleshoot" this issue. 15 minutes later she asked me to send them pictures, which I did. A week or so later I got a call from some guy in VA, I'm in CA, telling me they were delivering me a new 55VT60. 2 weeks later they swapped out the old for the new and he told me I have a new warranty on the VT60.

I'm more than happy with Panasonic's customer service.
Wish we could all be assured of the same level of service. But I have heard different results firm different customers

You wouldn't still have those pictures would you ? trying to gauge how severe my blobs are

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #273 of 999 Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Very informative stuff.

I'll keep an eye out on my VT60 (sigh).

post #274 of 999 Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully it has been corrected, another poster seems to think it is a batch that is right on the voltage cusp and then as the sets age they cross over into problem territory, its unfortunate for sure.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #275 of 999 Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I opened a case with Panasonic have a service call scheduled for next week, I will keep everyone updated
scirica likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #276 of 999 Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I opened a case with Panasonic have a service call scheduled for next week, I will keep everyone updated
Really looking forward to your response!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #277 of 999 Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'll take the bullet ! biggrin.gif They seemed to recognize it as gas discharge on the call so that is encouraging, didn't try to do IR troubleshooting, just asked If I could see it on all sources, and if I had changed picture settings recently. Did get cut off and had to call back but overall pretty painless. I just decided it is bugging me enough that I need to try to do something about it.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #278 of 999 Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I don't remember if I ever shared this photo with you guys, but...does this look like the blue speckles you describe from too high a VSUS?

Just imagine those dancing around that area of the screen. You may have to click on the larger image to get a good look at them

post #279 of 999 Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

I don't remember if I ever shared this photo with you guys, but...does this look like the blue speckles you describe from too high a VSUS?

Just imagine those dancing around that area of the screen. You may have to click on the larger image to get a good look at them

This looks just like the blue speckles I had when adjusting VSUS. They turned up in the same place as the yellow blobs. I found:

VSUS too low = yellow blobs
VSUS just right = no blobs
VSUS a little higher = green blobs same place
VSUS overkill = blue speckles same place

So far my changes have stuck well and blobs are looking good. That is other than the black screen grey patches which still exist on pro.

So VSUS high with Calibrated THX cinema is my mode for the long haul. No yellow blobs and good blacks.
Omni009 likes this.
post #280 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 AM

Since opening up my VT50 and noticing the board positions matching these blob locations, I thought I would check the perfectly uniform screen of my VT20.

Last weekend I opened the VT20 and noticed an interesting difference on the boards.

On the VT50 the boards have capacitors and wire coils. In order to save depth Panasonic have cut holes in the boards and recessed components into it. This makes these capacitors etc sit very close to the panel with no barrier.

On the VT20 no such openings exist. The boards have these coils and capacitors sitting proud and taking up room at the back of the panel. This panel is not thin by any means.

I wonder if these blobs are now becoming apparent due to the athletic needs of the market for thin panels at the expense of picture quality.

Placing these electrical components which are hot and full of charge may be exciting the phosphors differently in these areas. Changing VSUS just evens things out a bit by driving the panel harder overall across the screen.

One theory might be to take the boards off, insulate these areas with thin black rubber and then replace the boards again.

Might be just a silly idea and hardly worth the effort, but it is always fun to theorise.
post #281 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Crudesinger,

Is your VT50 normally wall mounted or otherwise setup in such a way that might reduce air flow?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #282 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Good luck man! So far my VT50 is working fine after the panel replacement, but its only been three or so weeks.
post #283 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

That's good to hear hopefully the voltages stay within tolerance this time.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #284 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Crudesinger,

Is your VT50 normally wall mounted or otherwise setup in such a way that might reduce air flow?[/quote

Hi JimP

It is set up on its stand with plenty of room behind. There should be plenty of room for airflow.

Thanks
post #285 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think ventilation is an issue, same for my set plenty of room for airflow.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #286 of 999 Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post

This looks just like the blue speckles I had when adjusting VSUS. They turned up in the same place as the yellow blobs. I found:

VSUS too low = yellow blobs
VSUS just right = no blobs
VSUS a little higher = green blobs same place
VSUS overkill = blue speckles same place

So far my changes have stuck well and blobs are looking good. That is other than the black screen grey patches which still exist on pro.

So VSUS high with Calibrated THX cinema is my mode for the long haul. No yellow blobs and good blacks.

Thanks man. Ya, it was mentioned earlier that the way they got the specks to appear was with the PS3 menu, which matches my experience that these don't hardly ever show up on TV or blu ray, but when I'm playing PS3, Xbox360, or throw on a red slide, I can trigger them. It's from the more vivid colors I guess.

Feel better since I'm 99.9% sure this is the issue now, and I can always go for that fix you guys found if it gets to be too much. Any danger in just leaving the VSUS unadjusted? This set already has a good 2000 hours on it already.

post #287 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djn2004 View Post

I had this issue in June on a 55VT50 I bought last September. I had the round blob in the upper left and the oval blob along the right side.

I called the customer support line and they tried to "troubleshoot" this issue. 15 minutes later she asked me to send them pictures, which I did. A week or so later I got a call from some guy in VA, I'm in CA, telling me they were delivering me a new 55VT60. 2 weeks later they swapped out the old for the new and he told me I have a new warranty on the VT60.

I'm more than happy with Panasonic's customer service.

what did you use to capture the image? I'm starting to notice the yellow blobs on my vt50 I got in april. but they are fairly faint, but annoying with things with white backgrounds. for example, watching Siberia with alot of snow and tree's, the white on the right and left aren't white, they have a slight pee stain look to them, but I dont know if a camera will capture this because its fairly light. but to me very annoying.
post #288 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

what did you use to capture the image? I'm starting to notice the yellow blobs on my vt50 I got in april. but they are fairly faint, but annoying with things with white backgrounds. for example, watching Siberia with alot of snow and tree's, the white on the right and left aren't white, they have a slight pee stain look to them, but I dont know if a camera will capture this because its fairly light. but to me very annoying.

I think we need to updated the title of this thread. "Pee stain" is a great description and emotionally ties in to how I feel about my blobs. I really hate them!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #289 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed !

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #290 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

TOM669- In your opinion what is the appropriate remedy for a service technician ?, I have tried the VSUS high change and although it reduces the blob it does not elimate it. I have a service call next Weds and would like to provide some guidance if the technician will listen. I know at least one member has eliminated the blobs by tweaking the voltage pots. Is that what would be prudent in your mind ?

I do not want a panel replacement since my set is profesionally calibrated and that cal will most likely not carry over to the new panel.

TIA

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #291 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TOM669- In your opinion what is the appropriate remedy for a service technician ?, I have tried the VSUS high change and although it reduces the blob it does not elimate it. I have a service call next Weds and would like to provide some guidance if the technician will listen. I know at least one member has eliminated the blobs by tweaking the voltage pots. Is that what would be prudent in your mind ?

I do not want a panel replacement since my set is profesionally calibrated and that cal will most likely not carry over to the new panel.

TIA

Adjusting the VSUS to match the SC VSUS and SS VSUS should do it. You can do this yourself. This however will still void calibration, I presume (I do not and have never professionally calibrated anything nor used a TV that was), because it changes the panel properties. The difference will be very minimal and should not be noticeable, but there will be a difference. Primarily the panel will be slightly brighter with a higher VSUS.
post #292 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

The VT50 is not the first thin-design plasma Panasonic put out; did the VT30 also have this issue? It used recessed inductors (=coils) and capacitors.
post #293 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I am still under Panasonic warranty so I would not be brave enought to do this myself smile.gif Hopefully I can convince them that this is the proper course of action. Thank you for your response

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #294 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

The VT50 is not the first thin-design plasma Panasonic put out; did the VT30 also have this issue? It used recessed inductors (=coils) and capacitors.

The 30 series had a green blob issue, The VT, ST and GT were impacted I think. I had an ST30 but never had the issue, my calibrator seemed to think Panasonic made a change later in the production run that mitigated the issue. Perhaps they changed vsus voltage

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #295 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post

Since opening up my VT50 and noticing the board positions matching these blob locations, I thought I would check the perfectly uniform screen of my VT20.

Last weekend I opened the VT20 and noticed an interesting difference on the boards.

On the VT50 the boards have capacitors and wire coils. In order to save depth Panasonic have cut holes in the boards and recessed components into it. This makes these capacitors etc sit very close to the panel with no barrier.

On the VT20 no such openings exist. The boards have these coils and capacitors sitting proud and taking up room at the back of the panel. This panel is not thin by any means.

I wonder if these blobs are now becoming apparent due to the athletic needs of the market for thin panels at the expense of picture quality.

Placing these electrical components which are hot and full of charge may be exciting the phosphors differently in these areas. Changing VSUS just evens things out a bit by driving the panel harder overall across the screen.

One theory might be to take the boards off, insulate these areas with thin black rubber and then replace the boards again.

Might be just a silly idea and hardly worth the effort, but it is always fun to theorise.
I 100% agree with you on this. If it was purely a voltage issue, why would the blobs match perfectly with the circuit boards? I believe the phosphors are being excited by either the heat or the boards themselves in some way in those areas only. I remember when I had the issue it took 2-3 minutes (from a cold state) for the yellow to really make its self known on a white background. Increasing the voltage may just provide a cover up to the true underlying issue. For what its worth, my replacement VT60 is still blob free and I took a look at the vt60 in best buy which has now had some hours put on it running all day everyday and I notice no blobs anywhere.
post #296 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
jcm

Any interest in opening your VT60 to see if there had been a design change?

....or are we going to be surprised in a few months?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #297 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Would you open up your set if asked ? No way would I do it especially if it is under warranty
scirica likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #298 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not an engineer and I am purely speculating, but we do know the VT60 uses a different phosphor system than the VT50, so perhaps that necessitated changes which now make the yellow blobs a non issue. Being a VT60 owner I can only hope. I recently checked my set's uniformity on gray patterns and it's clean, but I only have around 600-700 hours on it.

post #299 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm304 View Post

I 100% agree with you on this. If it was purely a voltage issue, why would the blobs match perfectly with the circuit boards? I believe the phosphors are being excited by either the heat or the boards themselves in some way in those areas only. I remember when I had the issue it took 2-3 minutes (from a cold state) for the yellow to really make its self known on a white background. Increasing the voltage may just provide a cover up to the true underlying issue. For what its worth, my replacement VT60 is still blob free and I took a look at the vt60 in best buy which has now had some hours put on it running all day everyday and I notice no blobs anywhere.

Interesting theory but if that is true why did it take 750 hours for the issue to develop on my set ? Would seem to me it would start right away or is the theory the boards are malfunctioning in some way ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #300 of 999 Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if it's just a combination of factors.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page