VT50 yellow-ish blob on display - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 999 Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One more added point. My improvement is still holding up very well after surgery, but I always view THX cinema calibrated and when I check calibrated pro the blobs are good also. This means that if I can still see a hint on normal mode then calibration can be of some benefit.
mo949 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 999 Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After 2 weeks on the ECO/Energy Saving mode, I can report that it does help to significantly reduce the yellow blob on both sides. With ECO/Energy Saving off, the blobs would catch my attention on every high APL image. Now, I don't really see the blobs unless I actively look for them. For my next re-calibration, I intend to do so with ECO/Energy Saving turned on.

Sean
post #993 of 999 Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
After 2 weeks on the ECO/Energy Saving mode, I can report that it does help to significantly reduce the yellow blob on both sides. With ECO/Energy Saving off, the blobs would catch my attention on every high APL image. Now, I don't really see the blobs unless I actively look for them. For my next re-calibration, I intend to do so with ECO/Energy Saving turned on.
Stash64 very cool thinking. I wonder what exactly the Eco mode does. Apart from adjusting contrast automatically depending on ambient light.

It could somehow reduce other energy resources taking heat away from the panel. I don't know but well done on bringing new thoughts to this thread
post #994 of 999 Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post
Stash64 very cool thinking. I wonder what exactly the Eco mode does. Apart from adjusting contrast automatically depending on ambient light.

It could somehow reduce other energy resources taking heat away from the panel. I don't know but well done on bringing new thoughts to this thread
If my blobs come back on the new panel (hoping not) I'll give this a try!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #995 of 999 Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't think it is dependent on ambient light. I think it just rolls off the brightness/contrast on high APL images. Another side benefit that I noticed from the very beginning is that board "buzzing" is also reduced. I did use the ECO Energy Saving during the first couple months with my VT50 for break in and also because I am sensitive to the buzzing, but I ended up calibrating with Energy Saving turned off.

Overall, I really prefer the reduced brightness under high APL. The picture seems to have more depth and blacks appear blacker, even with moderate APL images.

Sean
post #996 of 999 Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this thread is a bit dead, but here I go. I think the sanest people here don't even have the VT50 anymore, haha.

Recently I bought a second hand 1.5 year old 55VT50E(not knowing about the defects). I come from a cheap ass 5/6 year old LG plasma, which worked perfectly throughout these years. But it was time for something better(at least picture quality wise). I am a real plasma guy, because even my cheap LG did better in colours than all of the LCD's I’ve seen.

I read reviews about the VT50 and it was the best image you could get, two years ago, since the Kuro. (paying more than 1500 for a set was a bit to much for me, that’s why I looked on the second hand sites)
Once I had the TV, I watched in THX Cinema mode (it looked to be the best image) and was blown away by the beautiful image. This TV had 3600 hours on it (I checked in the service menu)
I am not at al a nit picker(I’m not even going to let it be calibrated). But then I noticed the piss coloured blob on the right side of the screen when I was watching Google's white screen.
Of course the first good forum I found was AVS and this thread. I've almost read it all and came to the conclusion that calling Panasonic was the best idea. I contacted the service guys here in The Netherlands that take care of the warranty business and had to send pictures of the blob etc. Here in the Netherlands you get a full 2 year warranty on the sets (if i'm not wrong.) Then Panasonic had concluded they would do a full retail price refund. :PPPP Which will give me a profit of 1200 Euro's, so I'm not complaining.

My next endeavour was to buy another 55VT50 on a second hand site. I bought one from a dude who said he had a company and that I will have a one year warranty on the set. The price was 1000 Euro's. I even got a receipt from this guy, like he had a company (which wasn't so, I checked later), I also found out the TV didn't have a serial number on the back (the sticker). So I felt a bit f#cked over.
But I accepted the TV because it was for free anyway

But I found out it had a yellow blob also. But not anywhere as big and pronounced as the previous model I owned (not even half as bad). This TV had only 1600 hours on it. The guy told me it was a demo in a store (and I think I believe him, because of the low mileage and a little bit of burnt-in logo of a music channel, which is not visible from a distance).

So I thought, if I don't have a warranty on it and the TV is for free, I might just make some mods on it. I took an old fan from my computer PSU, it's a good fan for it, because it has a very low initial spinning voltage. I connected the fan to the wires of the fan on the right of the TV (when you are in front of the TV). I chose this fan, because it was also a bit whiny.
I put a pot-meter in front of both fans, drilled a hole in the back to put it there.
The sound is not that bad, it's now more the replacement of air rather than mechanical fan noise.
(see photo)

Before the fan installation, I put the TV's VSUS setting to HIGH and noticed a decline of the blob. It seems to appear after 20 seconds or so. But after installing the fan, I could even put the TV back to LOW and the blob almost does not appear. I even can feel with my hand the TV is almost everywhere cold to the touch (where the blob used to be). Only the lower section of the initial blob size it still feels warm. And that is also the only place the blob still appears after some time (not as pronounced as initially).

Question 1: scirica, are you still having no blob on your set?
Question 2: I've read almost the whole thread, but I noticed a decline in mentioning the VSUS pot-meter at the end of it. Is after all this time, the mod still working for you guys who have fiddled with it?

Question 3: Let's say I am to fiddle with the pot-meter to (almost) completely get rid of the blob, how much do I turn it and how. (yes I've read the thread, but I don't know what 10-4 etc means :PPP)w
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01693.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	210009  
post #997 of 999 Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My blob issue was corrected by the panel exchange. Now, with a few thousand hours on the new panel I THINK I'm seeing a slight return of the dreaded blobs, but it is barely noticeable. I'm going to just enjoy my VT50 and not worry about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
chunon likes this.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #998 of 999 Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Hi Tennie,

Update from my situation updated. A couple of days ago I returned my VSUS to low. I had also been one of the members here who had raised in the service menu and with Pots in the back.

I am Glad to report the blobs are almost completely gone on low setting. I always wondered if programmed voltage increases would kick in on top of our voltage raises.

I have 5800 hours now. Of course I still have my pots tweaked just right from earlier to improve blobs but not cause blue sparkles.

In addition the overall screen uniformity has really improved with this many hours when it comes to top and bottom of the panel pink tinge. Eg snow or clouds.

I still have the light patches in blob areas on the pro mode black screen. On THX calibrated which I watch no problem here. MLL is now 20% better on VSUS low at these hours. Before I couldn't measure difference.

Never the less the best picture I have had so far and glad to have stuck it out.
scirica likes this.
post #999 of 999 Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Tennie,

Update from my situation updated. A couple of days ago I returned my VSUS to low. I had also been one of the members here who had raised in the service menu and with Pots in the back.

I am Glad to report the blobs are almost completely gone on low setting. I always wondered if programmed voltage increases would kick in on top of our voltage raises.

I have 5800 hours now. Of course I still have my pots tweaked just right from earlier to improve blobs but not cause blue sparkles.

In addition the overall screen uniformity has really improved with this many hours when it comes to top and bottom of the panel pink tinge. Eg snow or clouds.

I still have the light patches in blob areas on the pro mode black screen. On THX calibrated which I watch no problem here. MLL is now 20% better on VSUS low at these hours. Before I couldn't measure difference.

Never the less the best picture I have had so far and glad to have stuck it out.
Glad to hear that. My replacement panel has several thousand hours on it now and it still looks very good with minimal "blobs". More like a couple of "hot spots" on the right hand side where one of the original blobs was, but even this is not noticeable with video content playing. It is good to know that if necessary I can consider setting the twin pots manually at some point.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page