AVS Forum banner
82K views 1K replies 80 participants last post by  ChuckMountain 
#1 ·
I have a VT50 which I've been enjoying since the summer but recently noticed that, while watching Hockey, I can see two small regions on the right and left edges of the screen that have a slight yellow or green tint to them. I probably would never have picked up on it if it weren't for that predominant white of the ice on the screen. It's actually fairly subtle and probably wouldn't translate in a photo but is hard to un-see once noticed. It somewhat reminds me of what my old projection TV looked like when it was on it's last legs. It certainly doesn't bother me as is but am concerned that it may be an indicator of things to come. Any ideas of what that might be?

#852 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24233845

To TS

Remove the backpanel and raise (turn clockwise)the VS voltage regulator 10-15 degrees.

That should clean up the white image.

Unplug the tv before you adjust

I just wonder what the effect of doing that has on the long term health of the TV. I mean, Panasonic already knows that upping the voltage can help since they are having their techs try changing the VSUS setting. So, if they could get away with just adjusting a POT on one of the boards rather than replacing panels or TVs, I think they would probably do it unless there is some downside they aren't aware of.

Not saying that no one should try it since it might be the only option at this point for some people, I just think it's odd that Panasonic hasn't told the techs to do it.

#853 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24234455

I just wonder what the effect of doing that has on the long term health of the TV. I mean, Panasonic already knows that upping the voltage can help since they are having their techs try changing the VSUS setting. So, if they could get away with just adjusting a POT on one of the boards rather than replacing panels or TVs, I think they would probably do it unless there is some downside they aren't aware of.

Not saying that no one should try it since it might be the only option at this point for some people, I just think it's odd that Panasonic hasn't told the techs to do it.

if you dont have a clean white field you have to low voltage.

you must compensate for the aging of the panel with raising VOL SUS.

but sometimes just raising VOL SUS in the servicemenu isnt enough.

then you need to adjust the regulator.

raising the VS regulator is just raising VSUS but with greater value.

if you have a clean white field you also have the proper voltage.

that doesnt have any sideeffects or downsides.

wrong voltages has more sideeffects.

its free to try

if you dont seee any difference just put back the regulator to where it was.

#854 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24234518

if you dont have a clean white field you have to low voltage.

you must compensate for the aging of the panel with raising VOL SUS.

but sometimes just raising VOL SUS in the servicemenu isnt enough.

then you need to adjust the regulator.

if you have a clean white field you also have the proper voltage.

that doesnt have any sideeffects or downsides.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying. Panasonic has been replacing TVs and panels at great expense over the past year because of this issue and have even gone so far as telling their techs to screw with the white balance of the TV in order to mask the yellow blobs. So, there's the open question as to why this is not considered an alternative to replacing panels and TVs for Panasonic when they themselves are aware it's a voltage issue. It's much better for their bottom line to fix this problem with a simple POT turn, but they aren't doing it for some reason.

#855 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24234548

I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

i didnt miss it

most techs dont like to adjusting stuff they just replace what they think is a bad part and hope it solves the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24234548

when they themselves are aware it's a voltage issue.

really ?

so why is the problem still there?

#856 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24234584

really ?

so why is the problem still there?

They wouldn't be instructing their techs to adjust the VSUS if they weren't aware it was a voltage issue. Also, I'm sure by this point that Panasonic would be able to come to the same conclusion of this forum as to the cause of the blobs.

It really doesn't matter what techs do or don't want to do, the repair would be dictated by Panasonic itself. They have already issued a technical service bulletin over it telling them to try the VSUS and BDRV. You'd think the next step would be "increase voltage by turning POT 10 degrees and testing", but it's not. For whatever reason, they don't think adjusting the voltage beyond the boost that VSUS HIGH gives is a proper repair and is instead replacing TVs. It could be any number of reasons for this and some may be regulatory or internal that won't affect us as the end user. However, it's interesting behavior on Panasonic's part that they would rather incur a several thousand dollar warranty claim rather than spend a few hundred getting a tech to turn a knob.

I would CERTAINLY say it's a valid thing to try if you are not covered under any sort of warranty anymore. I would just be hesitant to try this rather than pursue any sort of warranty claim if you could since we don't necessarily know what will happen as the TV ages further after making these adjustments.

#858 ·
Here is a cross post from the VT50 owner's thread, so you guys will have my data...

3/6/13 91 hours

96hz 0.0018fL

60hz 0.0023fL

1/19/14 1798 hours

96hz 0.0015fL

60hz 0.0018fL

Both taken with D3 Pro and Chromapure.

I do not see any odd uniformity(yellow blob) except for the 60% field, where it looks like there is something soft ball sized on the left hand side, near the upper corner. If I move around the room, it seems to give a different look. Odd thing is, when the 0% signal is sent, this same area appears brighter in a pitch black room. When I tested that spot with the meter, it read 0.003fL.

Everything else looks OK. Letterbox bars test the same as the center of the screen, so thats great for dark room movies.

Also, as I ran the full fields from 0-100% for awhile and the uniformity seemed to get better, at least to my eyes. Im not sure if some of this isnt a product of the live content I had been viewing since I got home.

Im going to let the color slides cycle all night and day and see what everything looks like again when I get home from work, before chad gets here.

#859 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24237316

Here is a cross post from the VT50 owner's thread, so you guys will have my data...

Odd thing is, when the 0% signal is sent, this same area appears brighter in a pitch black room. When I tested that spot with the meter, it read 0.003fL.

Everything else looks OK. Letterbox bars test the same as the center of the screen, so thats great for dark room movies.

I have not heard many owners that have noticed the higher blacks in the blob areas. I noticed this very early on. Luckily the board areas are below the top letterbox bar. Thank goodness for that as most bluray aspect is 2.40:1 and shows these bars.

If your models have cinema mode or low panel brightness with the higher number grey gradations you will see it even worse.

I also can see these bright patches more on 0% input in 3D

#860 ·

Today I got my 55VT50 back from the repairshop and they did replace the panel. I looked in the servicemenu and they did not touch VSUS settings. Screen uniformity is again as it should be, no blobs or banding. Now I am pondering how to improve the cooling so the screen stays as perfect as it is now.

#861 ·

I hope replacing the panel works for you! Panasonic completely screwed me! They said that my display was within there specifications, all this after 10 weeks of BS dealing with Panasonic and the service company?!? I ended up adjusting both VSUS pots to 212v and sold it for $2,000. I just picked up my new 65ZT60! It killed me to purchase another Panasonic Product after what I went through but...

Ryan

#862 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24254418

I hope replacing the panel works for you! Panasonic completely screwed me! They said that my display was within there specifications, all this after 10 weeks of BS dealing with Panasonic and the service company?!? I ended up adjusting both VSUS pots to 212v and sold it for $2,000. I just picked up my new 65ZT60! It killed me to purchase another Panasonic Product after what I went through but...

Ryan
I hope you have more luck with your new beautifull set, and never have to deal with the servicecompany again! At the moment I am extremely happy the panel is much better than the original one.

#863 ·
Let's hope you have better luck with the ZT, it is unforunate they stopped stepping up to the plate when they should. When you purchase a flagship model your rightly expect flagship support ! Shortsighted of Panasonic imo but since they are existing the biz I guess they just don't care.

#864 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24254197

Today I got my 55VT50 back from the repairshop and they did replace the panel. I looked in the servicemenu and they did not touch VSUS settings. Screen uniformity is again as it should be, no blobs or banding. Now I am pondering how to improve the cooling so the screen stays as perfect as it is now.

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for a VT60, but if they can really fix my panel I suppose I'd be okay with it. That process just scares me to death!

#865 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24254655

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for a VT60, but if they can really fix my panel I suppose I'd be okay with it. That process just scares me to death!
The repairman told me the fix was very involved and took them two hours, they had to remove all cables and pcb's, lift the panel from the front glass and do it all in reverse order when installing the new panel. They have done a nice job as I can't see any scratches or fingermarks on or inside the front glass.

#866 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24254929

The repairman told me the fix was very involved and took them two hours, they had to remove all cables and pcb's, lift the panel from the front glass and do it all in reverse order when installing the new panel. They have done a nice job as I can't see any scratches or fingermarks on or inside the front glass.

What a waste of panels.

The amateurs replaces the whole panel when a adjustment to one damn pot is needed.

Lol!

#867 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255018

What a waste of panels.

The amateurs replaces the whole panel when a adjustment to one damn pot is needed.

Lol!
Possibly two pots, but still, I agree with you 100%

#868 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255162

Possibly two pots, but still, I agree with you 100%
I am still wondering of upping the VSUS voltage would result in a long term fix. My personal idea is that it is only masking the problem for maybe a year or enough to get the TV outside the warranty period. The replacement of a panel or a swap to a VT60 has to be approved by Panasonic and I just can't believe that they will do this without a very good reason.

#869 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255216

I am still wondering of upping the VSUS voltage would result in a long term fix. My personal idea is that it is only masking the problem for maybe a year or enough to get the TV outside the warranty period. The replacement of a panel or a swap to a VT60 has to be approved by Panasonic and I just can't believe that they will do this without a very good reason.

My technician has put the request in to Panasonic and the "panel" is on order. And of course if 65" panels are not available, then a replacement or refund is next.

Regarding VSUS, I think it is a fix if the voltage adjustments result in a more even distribution of the gases in the display. I think this would have no long term effect on the panel and would be the correct fix. We'll see!

#870 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255511

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255216

My technician has put the request in to Panasonic and the "panel" is on order. And of course if 65" panels are not available, then a replacement or refund is next.

Regarding VSUS, I think it is a fix if the voltage adjustments result in a more even distribution of the gases in the display. I think this would have no long term effect on the panel and would be the correct fix. We'll see!

A voltage adjustment doesn't necessarily fix the panel, but seems to cover it up. I think once the panels have the blobs, the damage and uneven wear is already done. I ended up getting the 65VT60 as a replacement. I have 800 hours on it and it shows no signs of anything like the VT50 did.

#871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24256568

A voltage adjustment doesn't necessarily fix the panel, but seems to cover it up.

so you need to know whats under the paint on your walls in the house?

why bother if you dont see a problem?

if you care about hiding problems then you dont want to own a plasma

you should only know whats hiding under a 100% white field for several hours

users dont care because they dont know and dont see the history that is printed under those whites.

its like a recording for the last hours packed in one screen.

the printed IR only shows up if you adjust one regulator way beyond recomended settings.

#872 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24256953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24256568

A voltage adjustment doesn't necessarily fix the panel, but seems to cover it up.

I'm talking about a $2,000+ TV, not paint. However, to entertain your analogy, I would like to point out that paint and other cosmetic fixes can cover up some serious problems. Mold being one of many. I guess if there was mold and water damage to your walls and you didn't see it, you would be fine with that, correct?

Now back to Panasonic''s "fix". Panel replacements and voltage adjustments appear to be temporary fixes at best. I suggest reading this thread from the beginning and doing some more research. If you're alright with Panasonic's "fix", then I am happy for you. However, not everyone shares that view and I have higher standards for my electronics. If I was buying a cheap, throw away, Walmart special TV, I probably wouldn't expect as much. But when a TV such as the VT50 is praised all over for it's quality build, color reproduction, contrast, etc.. I won't lower my standards just because Panasonic decided to lower theirs. Of course the "fixed" VT50s will be out of warranty before the blobs shows up again and then what? Do you expect people to wait and see? It took me about 1 week to file a claim and receive a replacement TV. Maybe I was lucky that I dealt with the right people. They were no BS just like me.

#873 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24255018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/840#post_24254929

What a waste of panels.

Lol!

If it were that easy, Panasonic would have fixed this a long time ago. Did you bother reading the entire thread? This has been discussed already and did not work in most circumstances. When my TV went back to be tested by Panasonic, it was determined to be "uneven phosphor application". Who knows if they actually tested it or just looked at it and made that determination. Unfortunately, the regional rep had no other information available to him.

#874 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24256953

Quote:

if you care about hiding problems then you dont want to own a plasma

you should only know whats hiding under a 100% white field for several hours

users dont care because they dont know and dont see the history that is printed under those whites.

its like a recording for the last hours packed in one screen.

the printed IR only shows up if you adjust one regulator way beyond recomended settings.

I see you edited your post so I feel I need to clarify something. The blobs are NOT image retention or burn in. All the images on a plasma TV average out over time. As long as there are no long term static images, everything should age pretty evenly.

If you have anything valuable to add to this thread, I welcome it. However, misleading statements with unsubstantiated claims helps no one.

#875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24257152

I'm talking about a $2,000+ TV, not paint.

read between the lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24257213

it was determined to be "uneven phosphor application". .

i know

i had it on my Kuro with 19K hours on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24257266

If you have anything valuable to add to this thread, I welcome it.

i have posted the solution.

what have you done to this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display/870#post_24257213

If it were that easy, Panasonic would have fixed this a long time ago.

no they would not.

dont you read the thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.