AVS Forum banner
82K views 1K replies 80 participants last post by  ChuckMountain 
#1 ·
I have a VT50 which I've been enjoying since the summer but recently noticed that, while watching Hockey, I can see two small regions on the right and left edges of the screen that have a slight yellow or green tint to them. I probably would never have picked up on it if it weren't for that predominant white of the ice on the screen. It's actually fairly subtle and probably wouldn't translate in a photo but is hard to un-see once noticed. It somewhat reminds me of what my old projection TV looked like when it was on it's last legs. It certainly doesn't bother me as is but am concerned that it may be an indicator of things to come. Any ideas of what that might be?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfinator  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display#post_22769692

I have a VT50 which I've been enjoying since the summer but recently noticed that, while watching Hockey, I can see two small regions on the right and left edges of the screen that have a slight yellow or green tint to them. I probably would never have picked up on it if it weren't for that predominant white of the ice on the screen. It's actually fairly subtle and probably wouldn't translate in a photo but is hard to un-see once noticed. It somewhat reminds me of what my old projection TV looked like when it was on it's last legs. It certainly doesn't bother me as is but am concerned that it may be an indicator of things to come. Any ideas of what that might be?

There is a GT50 owner on that thread having same issue I believe.

#4 ·
I believe you are seeing something similar to the "green blob" issue widely reported on panasonic plasmas. I can tell you from my experience with the VT30 that it does not worsen. It does improve slightly after the first few hundred hours. I was never able to get a clear explanation of the issue and I just accept it as a limitation of plasma tech. I find cranking up the contrast reduces issue, but increases temporary IR.

#6 ·
I also have a Kuro and don't see this on it.

I still can't figure out why I don't see the blobs when viewing the slides. It would, seemingly, make sense that the solid colours would highlight the blobs if it were inherent in the tv. Could it be a by-product of the image processing required for rendering the hockey ice? It's a bit confusing.

#7 ·
What color are your slides? I can see my blobs on grey slides (with low contrast), but not on red, blue or green ones. Your contrast settings may be different between slides and TV. Also, my blobs are less visible when I first power on the TV.

I have an older 2009 panasonic plasma and it also does not have this problem. So more specifically it is a recent (2011, 2012, 2013?) panasonic plasma problem...

#8 ·
I'm using the brake-in slides so they cover various shades of basic colours including white, grey, red, green and blue.

It's interesting though that you said that the effect is less obvious when you first power up as that's when I checked it with the slides. I'll have to do that again once it's warmed up for a while. I wonder if it's related to the panel over heating or something along that line.

Again, in my case the effect is very subtle but, apparently, noticeable in very specific circumstances. If it doesn't worsen I'm not concerned. I just wish my wife hadn't pointed it out to me because I would likely have never picked up on it otherwise.

#12 ·
Just something to double check.

There are some ventilation holes on the back that will sometimes allow light to enter from the back and cause some weird looking blobs on the image on the front side.

If you're using a back light or have light otherwise behind the display, it may be causing this event.

I had a Pioneer plasma for several years before getting the 65VT50. Since I don't like distortion, on occasion I'd run a program in 4:3 aspect ratio. I guess it was the accumulated hours in doing that where the far left and far right areas where the black bars were located would be more blue than the center area. (not yellow). So now, with the 65VT50, I'm careful to zoom in or use the lit side panel feature on my bluray player.

Something else that I recall. During the first few hundred hours, it seems that the outside edge had something of a lighter shade than the rest of the screen. It eventually went away.

When did you get your display and was it new when you got it?

#14 ·
billmich,

Is the center mass of the screen during your hockey games greenish or bluish?

Reason I'm asking is if the center mass is a touch greenish, you could add blue and cancel some of the yellow and make the center mass look better to boot.

If it's bluish, you're screwed. If you add blue, you would cancel the yellow on the outside but make center mass too blue. This would be in your grayscale adjustments.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display#post_23266071

To me it doesn't have any type of tint at all,

Certainly not green

If you have blobs and they are noticeable during normal content I would be calling Panasonic, imo just playing around with the white balance controls blindly could just make things worse

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich  /t/1448896/vt50-yellow-ish-blob-on-display#post_23266183

Had anyone else had this issue and Panasonic came out and it was fixed?

I only see it during hockey games....

Don't know, sadly the likely result would be they wouldn't do anything, what kind of settings are you using ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.