Got my 50UT50... what exactly do the ST and GT have over it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a 50UT50 and I love it but I'm kind of having second thoughts, with my lights on in my room most of the blacks wash out, its not bad but I'm trying to decide if the extra $300 for the ST50 would be worth it. Also while ABL happens less often its still noticeable on games were the menus and stuff are white and it kinda bugs me but I don't have $1500 for a Sony HX850 or something, other wise I love this thing.

What are the exact difference from the UT, the ST has a web browser and louver filter anything else? Then the GT has a faster dual core possessor and more picture adjustment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
ST also adds an hdmi port and pro settings,
GT adds 2hdmi and a vga port too, plus thx settings.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

ST also adds an hdmi port and pro settings,
GT adds 2hdmi and a vga port too, plus thx settings.
What exact "settings" are added? Does the ST have the same possessor as the UT? Will the ST have everything I need to calibrate it or are the extras on the GT enough for the extra $150 over the ST even thought they pretty much have the same PQ?

I read this on cnet... never thought of this

"Bright lighting: While the ST50 is an excellent performer in a bright room thanks to its Infinite Black Pro filter, the UT50's lack of that filter means it doesn't perform well. The image is watchable but blacks dissolve into mush with little detail. If you have a well-lit room and seldom watch in the dark you're better off opting for the ST50.

There is one useful side effect of the UT50's lack of a louver filter though, and this applies if you are a gamer. The ST50 rejects light from above, and hence isn't viewable if you're standing up over it, which is something you would do if you're playing a Wii game or other game that requires you to stand. With the Kinect this isn't that much of an issue because the sensor won't work if you're so close you can see the back of the TV, but Wii games and Rock Band would be easier to play on the UT50."

I have also read that some people don't like the louver filter and have sold there ST, GT or even VT for the UT... whats up with that?

Last how important are the extra settings? How hard is it to access the service menu and not brick my tv? can't even thing be adjusted in there? First I thought it wouldn't matter and that I'll just get a pro calibration but then I was thinking with the extra settings I would be able to adjust them if I didn't like them instead of being stuck with them.

Right now with my UT I'm stuck between everything looking a little dead in the reds, orange, pinks and dark blues in "cinema" and everything in "game" and "custom" looking to close to awful "vivid" for my liking.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

I just got a 50UT50 and I love it but I'm kind of having second thoughts, with my lights on in my room most of the blacks wash out, its not bad but I'm trying to decide if the extra $300 for the ST50 would be worth it. Also while ABL happens less often its still noticeable on games were the menus and stuff are white and it kinda bugs me but I don't have $1500 for a Sony HX850 or something, other wise I love this thing.
What are the exact difference from the UT, the ST has a web browser and louver filter anything else? Then the GT has a faster dual core possessor and more picture adjustment?

The differences between the UT50 and the higher models have already been discussed a lot in the Official UT50 thread and even in the UT50 Settings/Issues thread so you might want to scan them for info. There are also some existing threads comparing the UT50 to the higher models.

A list of the features and differences are detailed in post #2 of the Panasonic 2012 Lineup Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386141/official-panasonic-2012-lineup-and-information-thread-no-price-talk

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The differences between the UT50 and the higher models have already been discussed a lot in the Official UT50 thread and even in the UT50 Settings/Issues thread so you might want to scan them for info. There are also some existing threads comparing the UT50 to the higher models.
A list of the features and differences are detailed in post #2 of the Panasonic 2012 Lineup Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386141/official-panasonic-2012-lineup-and-information-thread-no-price-talk
Thanks for that link

I know most of the differences, I want to take my UT back and get the ST I think but I'm wondering about the GT also.

What is Active Shutter Progressive 3D vs. Progressive Full HD 3D

So the GT really doesn't have any more options over the ST it just has the THX stuff but the same RGB and W/B adjustments
post #6 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks for that link
I know most of the differences, I want to take my UT back and get the ST I think but I'm wondering about the GT also.
What is Active Shutter Progressive 3D vs. Progressive Full HD 3D
So the GT really doesn't have any more options over the ST it just has the THX stuff but the same RGB and W/B adjustments
The THX settings modes available in the GT and VT models are just another selection like "Cinema" that are a little better "out of the box" settings.
But only the "Custom" settings mode has the customizable pro settings (available in ST50 and above) and can be preferable to THX, if you calibrate them properly.

The ST50 is reviewed as the best "Bang for the Buck" model this year.
I'd say go for the extra cost GT50 only if you need an extra HDMI input or would do a lot of internet apps that might be faster with the dual-core CPU.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The ST is slightly better than the UT. Period! The GT is slightly better than the ST. Period! Is it worth the extra $150 for the GT over the ST? Of course, just look at the specs, it's worth it. Cnet wrote those reviews based on msrp's, meaning its not worth $600 more for a GT than an ST but come on $150? like always though it also depends on your funds. The ST is better than the UT, but they're all good. When it comes to the ST's custom settings it does not have a Pro setting, so out of the box it can only be calibrated by the viewer so much. That is another feature the GT and ST have. Pro settings along with other little features such as dual core processors. But it's up to you. The ST is probably the best bang for the buck.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

The ST is slightly better than the UT. Period! The GT is slightly better than the ST. Period! Is it worth the extra $150 for the GT over the ST? Of course, just look at the specs, it's worth it. Cnet wrote those reviews based on msrp's, meaning its not worth $600 more for a GT than an ST but come on $150? like always though it also depends on your funds. The ST is better than the UT, but they're all good. When it comes to the ST's custom settings it does not have a Pro setting, so out of the box it can only be calibrated by the viewer so much. That is another feature the GT and ST have. Pro settings along with other little features such as dual core processors. But it's up to you. The ST is probably the best bang for the buck.
I'm aware of the MSRP thing, makes comparing reviews difficult.

Well I think the ST is a lot better than the UT because of the filter all the GT really has is the THX settings, which if they are anything like cinema I probably wont like. I'm planning on taking my UT back for the ST but like you said its only $150 more for the GT actually $140. I just really don't need the extra input or multitasking, idk how many apps il use.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

What about inputlag on the 3?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I'm aware of the MSRP thing, makes comparing reviews difficult.
Well I think the ST is a lot better than the UT because of the filter all the GT really has is the THX settings, which if they are anything like cinema I probably wont like. I'm planning on taking my UT back for the ST but like you said its only $150 more for the GT actually $140. I just really don't need the extra input or multitasking, idk how many apps il use.

Does the GT also have an extra HDMI over the ST?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

Does the GT also have an extra HDMI over the ST?
Yeah it does UT=2 rear facing ST=3 on the side and GT is 4 on the side, I believe they all have one 2 way component/composite input.

If the input lag is worse on the GT I'm going to stick with the ST, iv only seen specs on the UT and ST and with a lot of confusion.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850
Gear in this thread - P50ut50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page