Can't get proper aspect ratio with 4:3 DVD's on my TC-P60UT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a few TV shows on DVD shot in 4:3 and am unable to get them to display properly on my TC-P60UT50 when using my Sony BDP-S370 Blu Ray player which is connected via HDMI. The 4:3 mode stretches the picture then chops the sides off with the grey bars rather than displaying the proper picture within the grey bars. The other modes all either stretch or chop the picture as well. Any ideas to display 4:3 DVD's in the proper 4:3 mode? confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
sounds like more of a setting in the BD player - maybe it's set to upconvert the image? have you played with those settings?

post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post

I have a few TV shows on DVD shot in 4:3 and am unable to get them to display properly on my TC-P60UT50 when using my Sony BDP-S370 Blu Ray player which is connected via HDMI. The 4:3 mode stretches the picture then chops the sides off with the grey bars rather than displaying the proper picture within the grey bars. The other modes all either stretch or chop the picture as well. Any ideas to display 4:3 DVD's in the proper 4:3 mode? confused.gif

My guess would be the TV. There should be a button that when pushed will have settings something like normal, full, zoom1, zoom2, etc. Check your manual.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM

There might be a setting on both the Blu-ray player and the TV on how to deal with 4:3 content on a widescreen display. Try tinkering around in the menus / option on both.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I found a setting in the Blu Ray player that allows for proper display, but I'm still baffled as to why the TV's 4:3 mode truncates (chops the sides off) rather than compresses the image. I did some fooling around and the 4:3 mode truncates all image sources, not just my old 4:3 DVD's...
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post

I found a setting in the Blu Ray player that allows for proper display, but I'm still baffled as to why the TV's 4:3 mode truncates (chops the sides off) rather than compresses the image. I did some fooling around and the 4:3 mode truncates all image sources, not just my old 4:3 DVD's...
the 4:3 mode does that for HD input formats since its expected a 4:3 title is output with black sidebars in HD format.
With an SD input format (480i) however the Panasonic's 4:3 mode will expect a full screen 720x480 input and will then squish the images for proper 4:3 aspect ratio with added side bars.
By the way the sidebars are configurable in the settings menu to select between off(black) and low, mid, bright gray shades.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page