VT50 55 Image Retention or Burn in? & how to fix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

Spent considerable time researching best looking/affordable plasma & happily settled on the VT50. Most forums/reviews suggested IR was all but gone for new plasmas.

I purchased my VT from BB and disclosed to my sales guy we'd be gaming/watching movies 50/50. Was never cautioned to avoid playing games too long.

After the 1st 2 weeks or so, i noticed my kid's gaming profile names 'burned in' to the top righthand corner & mid screen for multiplayer. Had the display set to GAME mode and occasionally would change it to THX Cinema.

Immediately jumped into the forums to seek a remedy. Lots of discussion about breaking in the set and AVOIDING any gaming until it had a chance to burn in.

Did i burn in permanently because i didnt break the tv in properly?
Scroll bar isn't helping much. Ive run it a few times in the evening and have since asked the kids to avoid playing any games with static hud displays or names on screen.

Will this improve with a pixel orbiter from Disney's WOW disc or is my new set doomed?

I DO NOT WANT TO DROP DOWN TO AN LCD....but i guess it comes down to babying my set or sacrificing PQ for an LCD. This was supposed to be a fun addition. Not add more stress to my life.

I think i have until Jan 24th to return it, but ive thrown out all the boxes etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you're going to be doing 50% gaming, plasma might not be for you. Try some Pixar movies (zoom if they're not 1.78) and see if it goes away.

Not sure about returning it without a box.

Could you buy say a 40" LCD/LED for the kids to play in another room and they can use that strictly for gaming?

From what I understand, you really need to subject your panel to the same bright/static image for a while to get BI. You might just have severe IR. In that case, I've read that it might take a while before it all goes away. Maybe even longer than your return period.

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5
post #3 of 49 Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Does any one know if I should look into a pixel orbiter and if so, for how long should I run it? I sense that they behave more or less like an "Etch a Sketch" where IR is concerned.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Disney WOW or other?
Are there any inherent dangers in running them?
Can I overwork the phosphors?
What should I set my display to when running them? Contrast/Brightness Game/ViVID/Standard/Thx/etc?
post #4 of 49 Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspectrex View Post

Greetings,
Spent considerable time researching best looking/affordable plasma & happily settled on the VT50. Most forums/reviews suggested IR was all but gone for new plasmas.
I purchased my VT from BB and disclosed to my sales guy we'd be gaming/watching movies 50/50. Was never cautioned to avoid playing games too long.
After the 1st 2 weeks or so, i noticed my kid's gaming profile names 'burned in' to the top righthand corner & mid screen for multiplayer. Had the display set to GAME mode and occasionally would change it to THX Cinema.
Immediately jumped into the forums to seek a remedy. Lots of discussion about breaking in the set and AVOIDING any gaming until it had a chance to burn in.
Did i burn in permanently because i didnt break the tv in properly?
Scroll bar isn't helping much. Ive run it a few times in the evening and have since asked the kids to avoid playing any games with static hud displays or names on screen.
Will this improve with a pixel orbiter from Disney's WOW disc or is my new set doomed?
I DO NOT WANT TO DROP DOWN TO AN LCD....but i guess it comes down to babying my set or sacrificing PQ for an LCD. This was supposed to be a fun addition. Not add more stress to my life.
I think i have until Jan 24th to return it, but ive thrown out all the boxes etc.

Hello,
I really think you would be best served returning it. The box should not be an issue. You also do have the option of purchasing BB's Product Service Plan which is I think the only one that covers Burn In. I specifically purchased my 60GT50 there so that I could get their PSP.

I do believe that being delicate during the first 150-200 hours makes a difference. I gently broke in my GT and have not experienced even a trace of IR. However, with you having children, it really might not be a good idea to get another Plasma if he/she is going to game for hours on end. However, if you get the PSP, at least you will be covered if you do have Burn In as opposed to IR.
Cheers.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #5 of 49 Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You should never use THX for gaming, if you want to use THX for every day watching make sure its on Size 1 and pixel orbiter is enabled. Pixel orbiter can only be enabled on Size 1 when using THX. Your contrast should be set to below 40 for the first 1-200 hours using the Custom setting. I keep it at 30 for the first 200 hours. If you game a lot and set your contrast to 60 or below on Game mode after break in then IR should never really be a problem, but I have heard mixed things about the 2012 sets, I'll soon find out first hand. I game for hours sometimes and my girl friend watches channels with static images some times for a full day. Specifically E! and never once was there a smudge of IR on my 2011 65VT30. I broke the VT30 in 250 hours watching only full screen then kept movies and channels with black bars and static images to less than 25% of my viewing with absolutely no gaming until 500 hours. Say what you want about extreme break ins, or being ridiculous but clearly it works. Let's not forget Pioneer used to suggest 1,000 hours of break in. Most people will agree Pioneer had the most advanced research and development when it came to plasma technology, and also that plasma technology hasn't really improved since Pioneer left the market in 2009, so what makes people think break in isn't necessary any more? My GT50 in the bedroom is being put through the same process as the VT30. I'm presently at 300 hours and not one bit of IR after watching 2 letter box movies yesterday. Like I said, say what you want about breaking a plasma in but clearly it works. Most people that experience stubborn IR from what I have seen just go way too high with contrast levels, or just didnt break a plasma in. No matter what any one tells you if your contrast is at 80 for example the odds are if you game for hours you'll get IR. Sorry but its just a reality. Keep it at 60 or lower on Game mode if you can and you'll be fine. Unfortunately I understand some people's rooms are just too bright for slightly lower contrast levels. For those people I say game at your own risk. And lastly, if you want to get rid of stubborn IR, since I truly dont believe you have burn in, run only full screen moving images (HBO/Cinemax) for 24-100 hours and nothing else. It should be gone after that. I truly believe no technology produces better picture quality than a plasma it just needs to be properly taken care of before you can use it the way you want to. If this is too much for you to handle, even though it really shouldnt be (takes about 6 weeks to hit 500 hours if agressively kept on) then maybe LED is best for your needs. My suggestion is to exchange your current VT for a new one and start over. Best Buy does not require boxes for products that have SKU's on them that can be scanned. For example Bluray players or TV's. Boxes are not needed for these types of items. Good Luck!
pepemosca likes this.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #6 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Wow.. In today's plasma's it's really hard to get IR or burn in. I mean one really has to leave a static image on for over at least 16 hrs or more to get it. I say return it if you can. I have a Kuro Elite 151 and my son and I always game on it for hours sometimes since I got it back in 09. Never had this problem. I say your next set is to break it in properly. Then have it calibrated by a pro and make sure you tell em your going to game on it and not only watch movies.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I really think you would be best served returning it. The box should not be an issue. You also do have the option of purchasing BB's Product Service Plan which is I think the only one that covers Burn In. I specifically purchased my 60GT50 there so that I could get their PSP.
I do believe that being delicate during the first 150-200 hours makes a difference. I gently broke in my GT and have not experienced even a trace of IR. However, with you having children, it really might not be a good idea to get another Plasma if he/she is going to game for hours on end. However, if you get the PSP, at least you will be covered if you do have Burn In as opposed to IR.
Cheers.
AD

Kudo's on the BB PSP. Anything I get over $100 and PSP is offered I get it. Really like the peace of mind. I just got my Elite Pro-70X5 and got the 4 yr. PSP. Since this set has been around over a year now. And there is a chance that we might not see a 2nd gen Elite. This will become obsolete. So if there's any problem arise and BB can't fix it they'll replace it with a different set of equal value or give a store credit..
post #8 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Your comments are helpful.
I can say that the kids gamed on it right from the beginning. Sometimes in game mode/sometimes in THX Cinema. Everything is coming in on HDMi2, so we'd have to flip the display mode back and forth. I would say they put easily 16 hours (cumulatively) on the set playing the same game until I discovered the IR.

Since then, the XBOX has been off limits for that one game with static images/ HUD etc. I dont want to have to put unreasonable limits on their game time because Im being so cautious about a potentially sensitive TV. I just want it work and all be well with world. Perhaps I set my expectations to high. We moved from a pre-dlp projection tv and never had any issues aside it being a big outdated monstrosity in our living room.

So riddle me this...if this is simply severe IR as some people put it, it should go away with a steady run of pixel orbiter or constant full screen TV/Movie watching right? It has "faded" a little bit, but still noticeable.

Should I exchange it for another PAN VT50 and try again?
I wanted PQ, now Ill have to settle for LED while i cringe at the thought of returning it.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone. Your comments are helpful.
I can say that the kids gamed on it right from the beginning. Sometimes in game mode/sometimes in THX Cinema. Everything is coming in on HDMi2, so we'd have to flip the display mode back and forth. I would say they put easily 16 hours (cumulatively) on the set playing the same game until I discovered the IR.
Since then, the XBOX has been off limits for that one game with static images/ HUD etc. I dont want to have to put unreasonable limits on their game time because Im being so cautious about a potentially sensitive TV. I just want it work and all be well with world. Perhaps I set my expectations to high. We moved from a pre-dlp projection tv and never had any issues aside it being a big outdated monstrosity in our living room.
So riddle me this...if this is simply severe IR as some people put it, it should go away with a steady run of pixel orbiter or constant full screen TV/Movie watching right? It has "faded" a little bit, but still noticeable.
Should I exchange it for another PAN VT50 and try again?
I wanted PQ, now Ill have to settle for LED while i cringe at the thought of returning it.

Btw.. Game mode is like taking it in torch mode. So stay away from that setting with any set for that matter..
post #10 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Code:
The VT50 is a awsome set. I say exchange it and start all over. Now when you do get the new set first thing is to break it in by running the break in slides. Now when I broke in my Kuro Elite I ran the slides right through for a whole week. That's right left it on running 24/7. Then after the 7th day, I turned it off and let it rest for another 24 hrs. 2 months later after regular use in pure mode I got it calibrated.
Btw, I say return it and get the 65VT50..biggrin.gif
post #11 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Return it and buy an LCD.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Return it and buy an LCD.

Don't think he wants to downgrade.
agkss likes this.

post #13 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Btw.. Game mode is like taking it in torch mode. So stay away from that setting with any set for that matter..
That's only if you keep the contrast high. That's not mandatory when using game mode. Game mode has less input lag then the other modes. Feel free to adjust the PQ.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #14 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Code:
The VT50 is a awsome set. I say exchange it and start all over. Now when you do get the new set first thing is to break it in by running the break in slides. Now when I broke in my Kuro Elite I ran the slides right through for a whole week. That's right left it on running 24/7. Then after the 7th day, I turned it off and let it rest for another 24 hrs. 2 months later after regular use in pure mode I got it calibrated.
Btw, I say return it and get the 65VT50..biggrin.gif
I don't think it's as easy as that. The OP may not have any problem exchanging the VT50 for either a different brand of plasma or an LCD but what would he tell the store if he wanted to exchange it for the same model? He can't tell them he's exchanging it because of retained images on the screen. They will tell him that's the nature of plasma technology and won't exchange it.

At any rate I wonder if the new 2013 Panny's will have IR issues at all this time around? Samsung has managed to build their sets so well they have a severely high resistance to IR. Actually from what I understand, IR is almost a non issue on the Samsung.
post #15 of 49 Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

At any rate I wonder if the new 2013 Panny's will have IR issues at all this time around? Samsung has managed to build their sets so well they have a severely high resistance to IR. Actually from what I understand, IR is almost a non issue on the Samsung.

That is what I believed, at least with the 60"+ E6500 etc. However, reading some posts in the Samsung thread in the last week or so, apparently they are not as immune to this as I had believed (and no egregiously high contrast settings from what I could gather).
post #16 of 49 Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

I don't think it's as easy as that. The OP may not have any problem exchanging the VT50 for either a different brand of plasma or an LCD but what would he tell the store if he wanted to exchange it for the same model? He can't tell them he's exchanging it because of retained images on the screen. They will tell him that's the nature of plasma technology and won't exchange it.

My 2012 Panasonic has a "severely high resistance" to image retention.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #17 of 49 Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

What did you do to achieve such IR resistance?
post #18 of 49 Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM

I tend to watch USA network, Discovery, and SciFi. These channels have static images in the corners. Should I expect any IR Issues??
post #19 of 49 Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What did you do to achieve such IR resistance?

I watch the TV.

Originally with THX settings out of the box; lately with ISF settings thanks to Kevin Miller's outstanding calibration services.
pepemosca likes this.

post #20 of 49 Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

You should never use THX for gaming, if you want to use THX for every day watching make sure its on Size 1 and pixel orbiter is enabled. Pixel orbiter can only be enabled on Size 1 when using THX. Your contrast should be set to below 40 for the first 1-200 hours using the Custom setting. I keep it at 30 for the first 200 hours. [...]

As you can see. I'm a really newbie here.

Can someone post me the settings for a daily watch on the first 200 hours?
I can find thousands of calibrations... But I'm sure are better and secure after I pass the 200 hours. Like in here http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840 and here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453294/55vt50-color-calibration-for-noobs

As I can see, if I just use the Standard setting (the default one) and lower the contrast to 30: is really dim. I mean, the cd/cm2 is really low.
Any better solution? Idea?

Thanks!
post #21 of 49 Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

All,
I wanted to close the loop on this thread now that I have kept my 55VT50 for ~5 months now.

My initial concerns about IR/Burn-in have all been extinguished. The Xbox HUDs & logos that initially were "retained"
have since faded & disappeared entirely. My interpretation of it is the rest of the surrounding phosphors have "caught up" to the areas that were torched in during the early stages of set break-in while in GAME mode. We no longer use GAME mode. We've been using only CUSTOM thru HDMI2.

I have since tweaked the CUSTOM pro settings on this set using DNICE's settings combined with the AVSHD709 calibration disc:
http://www.calibrationforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6591&postcount=5

I LOVE THIS SET.

But I am still considering biting the bullet for a pro calibration or picking up a meter and CalMan5 Control. But, given how nice my set looks now, I'm worried there will be little to gain for the considerable $$$ to do it. ( I still have a free Best Buy Calibration to cash in, but will it be a true pro ISF calibration with meters etc? or will it simply be a menu driven custom mode tweak?) What has been any of your experience with that?

Regards.
post #22 of 49 Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Good to hear that your IR issues have faded over time (pun intended wink.gifbiggrin.gif).

I think I have read the BB calibrations are not that great - if you are happy with the picture as it stands, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it calibrated. My ST50 is excellent and I can't see how it could get any better!
post #23 of 49 Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this tv and just noticed some burn in. I watched a lot of this news with the bombing. Now I see "breaking news" and live on cnn in the other corner. I watched over 100+hours easy... What do I do. Please help me I am nervous!
post #24 of 49 Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. Do you know why this happened so I don't do it again. My tv should be broken in. Been over 100 hours. I did have cnn on friday night about 3-4 hours I would say. That would do this to my tv? wow.

Thanks
post #25 of 49 Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Will it def go away? What happens if it does not? I dont want anyone to have to crack my tv in half to fix it. I still see it. I never shut it off for the 12 hours yet and did the swipe. But I did do the swipe before and it did not do anything
post #26 of 49 Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Will it def go away? What happens if it does not? I dont want anyone to have to crack my tv in half to fix it. I still see it. I never shut it off for the 12 hours yet and did the swipe. But I did do the swipe before and it did not do anything

Turning the TV off for any amount of time won't help with this type of retention. Long-duration IR (MgO sputtering) can only be smoothed out by running images on the screen (technically a solid white screen is probably fastest, but a lot of people don't like to do that because of how warm the panel will get that way). Basically run normal full screen content, especially something bright. Depending on how bad your IR case is it might take hours, days, or even weeks of normal usage for the imprint to fade. I can't make promises about it fading, but everything I've managed to do to my GT50 has eventually faded so far. 3-4 hours of a bright logo should start to fade relatively quickly as long as you stay away from that same logo.
post #27 of 49 Old 04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I still think that is crazy. 2000 dollar tv I have to worry about this stuff. I should just be able to watch it and relax. Someone told me lots of switching colorful scenes will work. I have been putting it on sleep mode with all these dumb netflix movies I would never really watch. Weeks would make me crazy!
post #28 of 49 Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Do you see this when watching other programming or only when the screen is blank? Is your tv set on "vivid" or some other crazy setting?

Tony
post #29 of 49 Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM

YES!!! I have the Discovery logo burned into or IR'd on my VT50 and have been trying to make it dissappear for almost a week now.
it's faded some but I still see it on light colored objects and now I have a hud from far cry 3... Picture quality and colors are amazing, and I haven't had any stubborn IR this bad until now and i've used my set for at least 250 hours... so that's what led me here. Looking for answers. I've had it for a couple months so I can't return or exchange it at this point.
post #30 of 49 Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM

Liked: 16
Watched cnbc for about 3 hours a day in THX bright room mode having no idea that the IR problem was still and issue or breaking in was required.
I have got rid of the cnbc HD logo pretty much but still have some light banding where the tickers are in really white screens.
Anybody got any suggestions for a screen wiper beyond the built in one . Or should I just watch full screen HD till it goes away.
I have switched to Cinema Mode since reading some of these articles. Seems like IR is still here and marketing has just swept it
under the rug.
Panny vt 55vt60
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread