CES: Panasonic Unveils 2013 TVs; New Smart TV Interface - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > CES: Panasonic Unveils 2013 TVs; New Smart TV Interface
whipit's Avatar whipit 08:41 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Glad you understood that cause I sure didn't.
"...mto bet the BB free ISF"

I know, right, lol...gotta love those phones.

SoonerEngineer's Avatar SoonerEngineer 09:21 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosv1 View Post

ZT70 w/ black bezel and superb picture quality I'm in heaven. Screw the apps ...

Exactly how I feel
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 09:24 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Just as an FYI - I just got back from handing off my 111fd. Sold it for $1650. Could've gotten more but didn't have packing materials so I had to sell it locally. Bought the 65VT50 for $2534 out the door including taxes. Out of pocket $884. Get free BB ISF (which will probably suck) but if I get a good BB calibrator....a $300 value. Then out of pocket for a calibrated 65 inch is $584. If the ZT is all that, I'll get it and sell the VT. I'm the original buy high, sell low guy.
As we packed up the Elite I couldn't help but comment to myself...man, is that an old school looking panel. I'll miss the Elite but won't miss it's massive heat and it's 2008 appearance. I have to use the LR as my HT area so I like that the VT looks super sexy.
I'm not asking anyone to take my path, just defining it for edification purposes.

Thanks and congratulations. I had no clue the 65" could be had that inexpensively...could be a difference-maker in my scenario.

James
nikolausp's Avatar nikolausp 09:36 AM 01-09-2013
I bought a 65VT50 yesterday. I was not impressed by the 2013 models. I'm not going to pay $1000 more for a 65VT60 just so I can more easily swipe videos from my phone & tablet to the TV. I don't care about interactive apps. I'm also certainly not interested in paying $2000 more for the 65ZT60 that is a little bit better than my new 65VT50.

I'm saving those extra $$$'s, and will use them in 4-5 years on a OLED or something.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 09:51 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Thanks and congratulations. I had no clue the 65" could be had that inexpensively...could be a difference-maker in my scenario.
James

Thanks! Got the Plasma deals section. BB was price matching like crazy over the holidays. I think they still are. I'm gonna miss the 50" Elite Pro-111fd a lot but this TV is not that far off (too me) and it was my best upgradse path to a 65". After about 6 years of 50" sets I bottomed out and wanted a bigger set. Strongly considered buying a used 60" 151/141 Elite but every seller wanted north of 3k for thier set.
Sibuna's Avatar Sibuna 09:55 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:

James

the 55 VT50 is selling for under 1800, its a pretty insane deal at the moment if you are in the market right now. i imagin people are either dumping stock for new models or they simply ordered way too many last year.

i do agree that the silver/chrome bezels really need to go. overall the look of the new models is quite nice, will be interesting to see how the ZTs measure and how they are priced
Semp1's Avatar Semp1 09:58 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

the 55 VT50 is selling for under 1800, its a pretty insane deal at the moment if you are in the market right now. i imagin people are either dumping stock for new models or they simply ordered way too many last year.
i do agree that the silver/chrome bezels really need to go. overall the look of the new models is quite nice, will be interesting to see how the ZTs measure and how they are priced
best buy had it for $1699 last week.
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 10:02 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Let's say you have three product ranges: Standard, Superior and Deluxe. But you notice that the Superior isn't selling so well. What do you do? You rename your product ranges to Standard, Deluxe and Premier. People reluctant to buy the Superior will now feel that they are getting the Deluxe for the previous price of the Superior.
Branding strategy 101.

The above is only true if they are, as you put it, renaming their lines but keeping the features the same. I don't think they are really doing this. The VT60 stands alone as similar to the VT50, and will carry a similar price point. The ZT will be more expensive than the VT50. And the GT price point is basically gone. They are banking on the fact that GT customers will step up to the VT instead of down to the ST. For the most part, I think they're right. The ZT will likely be relatively limited distribution and carry a premium price point to match. Definitely cheaper than Elite, but clear step up from the VT.

What you are saying is true. It just doesn't apply here.
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 10:02 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

best buy had it for $1699 last week.

That is still the current price in-store.
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 10:07 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarddTimezz View Post

If that is true and the top 65ZT60 breaks the 4k barrier I will be shocked! Then the only true value set will be the 60ST60 as its retail is only $1899 and probably similar performance to the current GT series!!

Until recently with all of the unauthorized dealers going over the price cliff, this was never really considered a "value" set.

P.S. And I realize that many authorized dealers have done this as well. Just stating that it wasn't started by them.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 10:12 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Thanks! Got the Plasma deals section. BB was price matching like crazy over the holidays. I think they still are. I'm gonna miss the 50" Elite Pro-111fd a lot but this TV is not that far off (too me) and it was my best upgradse path to a 65". After about 6 years of 50" sets I bottomed out and wanted a bigger set. Strongly considered buying a used 60" 151/141 Elite but every seller wanted north of 3k for thier set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Beautiful, men. Just got to convince the b&c now.

I'll come armed with the regular, you know, the new warranty, larger screen size, improved aesthetic...all the stuff that drives most women into delirium for this stuff.

James
Semp1's Avatar Semp1 10:13 AM 01-09-2013
I can't get over the fact that Panasonice pretty much made the new ZT and VT look physically identical. And it's extremely disappointing Panasonic didn't release a 70in model this year at all. Also it's very clear cost on each television from 2011's VT30 to 2012's VT50 went down and affected the TV's for around $300 less. Panasonic's VT60 will most likely be $300 to $400 less than the VT50. Making it a not so high end price point any more and putting it in between a GT/VT price point. My prediction is the 65ZT60 MSRP is around $4499 to $4999 affectively putting a Panasonic back into a top tier price point again with the 65VT60 MSRP being any where form $2999 to most likely $3299. The VT is still Panasonic's top of the line with their ZT clearly being pushed as their expensive ELITE style model (Reference). It seems as if Panasonic got rid of the GT simply because it didn't sell much and people felt it wasn't worth it over the ST with its minimal improvements . Although it seems Panasonic is still trying to appeal to the VT market.. The same people who wouldn't buy the GT50 wont buy the VT60. people who are interested in VT's will buy them and now for a few hundred dollar less. Panasonic will sell more VT's because of this. Lastly at the same size I still see no reason to upgrade my 65VT30. That ZT would have to do something magical for me to invest in the same size. We'll see.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 10:28 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:

Beautiful, men. Just got to convince the b&c now.
I'll come armed with the regular, you know, the new warranty, larger screen size, improved aesthetic...all the stuff that drives most women into delirium for this stuff.
James

Sorry for my typos. Go here to learn more about VT deals, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405169/panasonic-vt50-deals.
HLdan's Avatar HLdan 10:56 AM 01-09-2013
This makes me appreciate my GT50 even more now than before. The fact the it comes with THX Certification and now you have to get the top end ZT model to get that makes me much happier. I understand Panasonic's position wanting to put the best features in their best set but not everyone can afford the ZT's upcoming price tag.

EDIT: Panasonic's website doesn't currently show the VT60 having THX Certification but others here say it does so I'll stand corrected until further verification.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 11:55 AM 01-09-2013
Z60 CNET nominated for best of CES - http://ces.cnet.com/best-of-ces/
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 12:04 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

I can't get over the fact that Panasonice pretty much made the new ZT and VT look physically identical. And it's extremely disappointing Panasonic didn't release a 70in model this year at all. Also it's very clear cost on each television from 2011's VT30 to 2012's VT50 went down and affected the TV's for around $300 less. Panasonic's VT60 will most likely be $300 to $400 less than the VT50. Making it a not so high end price point any more and putting it in between a GT/VT price point. My prediction is the 65ZT60 MSRP is around $4499 to $4999 affectively putting a Panasonic back into a top tier price point again with the 65VT60 MSRP being any where form $2999 to most likely $3299. The VT is still Panasonic's top of the line with their ZT clearly being pushed as their expensive ELITE style model (Reference). It seems as if Panasonic got rid of the GT simply because it didn't sell much and people felt it wasn't worth it over the ST with its minimal improvements . Although it seems Panasonic is still trying to appeal to the VT market.. The same people who wouldn't buy the GT50 wont buy the VT60. people who are interested in VT's will buy them and now for a few hundred dollar less. Panasonic will sell more VT's because of this. Lastly at the same size I still see no reason to upgrade my 65VT30. That ZT would have to do something magical for me to invest in the same size. We'll see.

I would have liked to see a much more subdued design on the ZT series. Even using the same physical design, but with non-reflective dark colors. It would lend more credence to the "reference" level they are trying to portray. It would also make it easier to justify the increased price. As it stands, customers will feel like it is the same TV and will have a harder time justifying the difference. BTW, when I say "customers" I am not really referring to those on this forum.
defdog99's Avatar defdog99 12:46 PM 01-09-2013
How much memory are on these TVs ?

I mean the PS3 has 256 megs, and Vierra Connect on this G50 seems to stream mlb.tv better than the PS3 app.

(having more memory means buffering is more useful)

So I'm guessing > 256 megs.
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 12:55 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

How much memory are on these TVs ?
I mean the PS3 has 256 megs, and Vierra Connect on this G50 seems to stream mlb.tv better than the PS3 app.
(having more memory means buffering is more useful)
So I'm guessing > 256 megs.

Not really sure, but memory is only one piece of the puzzle.
vic_0002's Avatar vic_0002 12:59 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I would have liked to see a much more subdued design on the ZT series. Even using the same physical design, but with non-reflective dark colors. It would lend more credence to the "reference" level they are trying to portray. It would also make it easier to justify the increased price. As it stands, customers will feel like it is the same TV and will have a harder time justifying the difference. BTW, when I say "customers" I am not really referring to those on this forum.

+1

At the very least, a black frame instead of silver to differentiate it from the VT would have been really great (especially for the public at large!)
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 02:12 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

This makes me appreciate my GT50 even more now than before. The fact the it comes with THX Certification and now you have to get the top end ZT model to get that makes me much happier. I understand Panasonic's position wanting to put the best features in their best set but not everyone can afford the ZT's upcoming price tag.
EDIT: Panasonic's website doesn't currently show the VT60 having THX Certification but others here say it does so I'll stand corrected until further verification.

If the set is being calibrated, THX doesn't mean very much. The ST50 calibrated just as well as the GT50. Right out of the box with no adjustments, THX has an advantage.
falsedawn's Avatar falsedawn 03:04 PM 01-09-2013
Let's hope Panasonic stays in the plasma business:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/panasonic-ceo-says-may-close-businesses-in-bid-to-end-losses/2013/01/09/553532b6-5a35-11e2-b8b2-0d18a64c8dfa_story.html?wpisrc=nl_tech

Panasonic needs to overhaul unprofitable operations such as plasma televisions and mobile phones to end losses, said Junya Ayada, a Daiwa Securities Co. analyst.

To turn the company around, Tsuga needs to close plasma- panel factories, shut operations making smartphones and semiconductors, and end domestic production of products including lithium-ion batteries, Takashi Watanabe, a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. analyst, said in a November report.

bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122 03:14 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

What makes you think any of this. If Panasonic wanted to make an Elite TV they would have, they own the rights to the Kuro special sauce. If Panasonic priced it that high then most people would take the current generation Elite at 60 inches for 3999. By the time OLED gets here for a reasonable price and at large enough sizes so most of you don't cry, another platform will be waiting in the wings.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 03:22 PM 01-09-2013
^The ubiquitous zero black level is what most of us Kuro lovers have been waiting for.
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122 03:31 PM 01-09-2013
^ Again guys , the difference between .002 and .0005 are not that great. This years ZT will probably measure .001 (Just a guess) . If Panasonic didn't have to deal with the Government energy ratings you probably would have had it 4 years ago. If you want deep blacks I would just pick up the Sharp Elite 70 inch and call it good. They really are good TV's. if your mad at anyone write congress , they love to regulate ****.
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 03:32 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

What makes you think any of this. If Panasonic wanted to make an Elite TV they would have, they own the rights to the Kuro special sauce. If Panasonic priced it that high then most people would take the current generation Elite at 60 inches for 3999. By the time OLED gets here for a reasonable price and at large enough sizes so most of you don't cry, another platform will be waiting in the wings.

Not necessarily true. Many considered the VT to be very close in PQ to the Elite(LED). The new ZT model could easily be better. Also, you'd be surprised how big of deal it is to some people that the ZT will be a "NEW" product where the Elite is now getting "OLD". This TV could be the new PQ king, save for the elusive OLED sets.
craigyboy's Avatar craigyboy 03:38 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

thx means zilch more marketing hype:) thats all, why would it make it better?
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122 03:44 PM 01-09-2013
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Not necessarily true. Many considered the VT to be very close in PQ to the Elite(LED). The new ZT model could easily be better. Also, you'd be surprised how big of deal it is to some people that the ZT will be a "NEW" product where the Elite is now getting "OLD". This TV could be the new PQ king, save for the elusive OLED sets.

I just don't think that Panasonic is that type of company. They never have been a " most expensive type" company. Anybody know what improvements Sammy has made to their Plasma this year?
slimoli's Avatar slimoli 03:47 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post

thx means zilch more marketing hype:) thats all, why would it make it better?

THX is not a simple marketing hype. I have 3 Panasonic, 2 with and 1 without THX. There is no way you can get the same colors and image quality unless you pay for a professional to calibrate your set. THX is very close to a calibrated set out of the box.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 04:45 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

^ Again guys , the difference between .002 and .0005 are not that great. This years ZT will probably measure .001 (Just a guess) . If Panasonic didn't have to deal with the Government energy ratings you probably would have had it 4 years ago. If you want deep blacks I would just pick up the Sharp Elite 70 inch and call it good. They really are good TV's. if your mad at anyone write congress , they love to regulate ****.
Thanks, but I can't think of a worse way to waste time. tongue.gif

Enuff with the speculation, bring on the measurements!
VarmintCong's Avatar VarmintCong 05:36 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

THX is not a simple marketing hype. I have 3 Panasonic, 2 with and 1 without THX. There is no way you can get the same colors and image quality unless you pay for a professional to calibrate your set. THX is very close to a calibrated set out of the box.

That doesn't make sense to me, because (1) Panasonic hasn't been to your house, so your THX-enabled TV can't be calibrated for your living room, and (2) THX is just a list of settings, so a TV like the ST50 that has the same control scheme should let you input the same settings and get the same result as THX.
Tags: Panasonic
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop