Panasonic Warranty Issue / Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Model Number - Panasonic Plasma TC-P46S2

I am just curious if this is typical of Panasonic. If so, I understand and so be it, but I don't think I will purchase a Panasonic ever again.

On Jan. 24, 2011 I purchased the above model. On Sept. 20, 2011 a large purple vertical line ran down the center of the TV. A warranty provider, chosen by Panasonic, came out and deemed the entire panel faulty. On Sept. 23, 2011 (that is the date on the invoice, although actual repair took place near the end of Sept. 2011) the panel was replaced with a new one.

On Dec. 15, 2012, a rather large, two inch vertical line appeared in the center of the TV, running vertically from top to bottom. This time the color is not purple, it is just a large mess of randomness (sorry, can't describe it better) that runs down the center, two inches wide. I sent pictures to my service provider, telling them the new panel only lasted 14 1/2 months, and wanted them to tell me whether or not Panasonic would honor a warranty of that length. Based on the pictures, the service provider felt the second panel was shot, and contacted Panasonic for me, but later told me Panasonic would not help mitigate or cover costs re: a new panel.

I realize the initial warranty is only one year, but it seems odd a second panel failing at sub 15 months would not be honored. Is this typical of Panasonic? I mean, I understand and am not upset. The silver lining for me is that I can eliminate one brand from future purchasing decisions, but this seems pretty sad. Two failed panels in less than two years...

Anyone have any suggestions, options etc. for me?

Also, since it seems a replacement is inevitable, what is a similar size (I do not want to go smaller) 46-50 inch either plasma or LCD / LED option?

Thank you,
Mark

** Let me add a few things for suggestions on new TVs. I would like to spend less than $600, so I can wait a few weeks for the Super Bowl sales. Approximate viewing distance is 12 feet, slightly above viewing height. Ambient light is a non issue. Ghosting for games is something I would like to take into consideration (RPGs, FIFA, Madden), but it is not the #1 priority. Black levels are important, but fall somewhere in the middle of my priority list. Sound is a non issue as I use my own HT. Plasma would be the preferred type, as in this price range, it seems to beat out LCDs (in regards to what I am looking for). But, if Panny does not honor or help me with the above issue, I think I would prefer either Samsung or LG, perhaps LCDs if their plasma offerings are not up to snuff. This is for an apartment at the coast, and I am only there half the year, if that. So, it does not need to be an end game TV, as should be obvious by the price, as I have my regular home TV room to budget for haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Generally, most (if not all) MFGs limit their warranty claims to the original terms, in your case 1 year. No MFG will replace the 2nd set free of charge. It’s a long shot but you may be able to talk them into giving you a pro-rated discount on a new set… Long shot, but may be worth it.

You say “coast”. It’s it in an area susceptible to high heat, humidity or salty air? If so, that could cause issues with your set. If it’s in a living room then it’s probably fine and you just had bad luck with two crappy panels.

Either the Panny 51U50 or Sam 51E530 - both are around $700 and have great PQ without 3D or wi-fi.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I realize warranties usually apply only to original equipment, but to me, two panels in less than two years is unacceptable. But, like I said, I understand and really don't have any ill will. Live and learn.

I am on the coast, and I suppose the salty air could have something to do with it (I am less than 700 yards from the ocean). Still though, one would think durability would be better. I mean, the TV is in the living room, not on the patio haha. Besides moving, is there anything I can do to mitigate the environmental issues? Probably not, other than moving cool.gif

Thanks for the info on those two television options. I will look into them.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark617 View Post

Model Number - Panasonic Plasma TC-P46S2
I don't think I will purchase a Panasonic ever again.

I understand why you are upset, but what would you buy instead? Panasonic is known to be the most reliable plasma available (all manufacturers have occasional defective displays). There are 2 recent posts I just read regarding defective Samsung plasmas, so be careful about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

"but what would you buy instead?"

Alas, this is my predicament. I may very well go with another Panasonic, because my options seem to be limited to Sammy, Pan, or LG, for a bang for buck type plasma display. And this is fine for a part time residence.

My frustration, while somewhat with the TV, is more with the customer service. A simple, "yes, that sucks you have gone through two panels in less than two years, but our warranty won't cover the second, as it is clearly stated to be one year" would suffice. So far though, I just get the runaround, which is what is annoying to me. I know every manufacturer has their issues. I went down to some of the local stores and looked at both the Sam E530 and Pan U50 and I like the Pan PQ a bit better. Samsung seems saturated to my eyes, but then again, I could only adjust things so much and I certainly couldn't do much to alter the viewing environment.

I may wait for a great sale over the next 6-8 weeks and pick up a model one step up from the above and get an extended warranty. I suppose then, either brand may suffice.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, Panny customer service is considerably better than Sammy's. Not that either is great!
post #7 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Most warranty "complaints" on these forums are usually based on people not reading their warranties, expecting something for nothing or both. Almost every company on the planet has a similar warranty. If something is guaranteed for a year, fails in 11 months and they replace it, the replacement has a 1 month warranty. You don't get double the warranty. Is it unfortunate that the unit fails??? Yes, but those are the breaks. I'm sure if the second one failed in a month or 2 or 3, Panasonic would have replaced it, but another year??? Remember, the mfg has no idea of the environment your tv is in. What I always find hilarious is the poster who says 'XXXXXXX" didn't go beyond the warranty, I'll never buy 'XXXXXXX" again!. I'm going to buy a "YYYYYYYYY" and then name a brand with MANY TIMES the defect rate of their original set.

Tony
post #8 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^^^^^

post #9 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Most warranty "complaints" on these forums are usually based on people not reading their warranties, expecting something for nothing or both. Almost every company on the planet has a similar warranty. If something is guaranteed for a year, fails in 11 months and they replace it, the replacement has a 1 month warranty. You don't get double the warranty. Is it unfortunate that the unit fails??? Yes, but those are the breaks. I'm sure if the second one failed in a month or 2 or 3, Panasonic would have replaced it, but another year??? Remember, the mfg has no idea of the environment your tv is in. What I always find hilarious is the poster who says 'XXXXXXX" didn't go beyond the warranty, I'll never buy 'XXXXXXX" again!. I'm going to buy a "YYYYYYYYY" and then name a brand with MANY TIMES the defect rate of their original set.

+1

The thing so many people don't understand is that these are electronics we are dealing with, there are tons of components that can fail. Does it suck? Yes, I've been through it several times, but that's also why I feel warranties are a good thing, especially on TV's. Best Buy has swapped 2 of my TV's. I'd defienatly recommend a Panasonic over anything else for the picture and build quality.

Ignorance is a choice
post #10 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do both Panasonic and Samsung come with 1 year warranties on their panels?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Do both Panasonic and Samsung come with 1 year warranties on their panels?

All TV's do

Ignorance is a choice
post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
To the original poster - it sounds like you have unfortunately suffered some really bad luck but the fact that both tvs had somewhat similar fairly rare issues sounds like there's some commonality in the cause not related to manufacturer defects. Is your area prone to lightning strikes or power surges?

Anyway, it's pretty much a universal practice especially with electronics manufacturers and even most secondary warranty providers (such as a big box store extended warranty) that if you *replace* not repair say, in this case the tv, that will fulfill the warranty coverage clause on your purchase. Now if the replacement tv had died within the original 1 year purchase window, you might have the option to get yet another replacement but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. I recently dealt with a similar issue with Whirlpool regarding their Cabrio washer - 2 defective in a 16 month span. Unfortunately, I place some of the blame on myself as a cursory look at reviews indicate the entire line is prone to the kind of issues that beset my washer(s). Whirlpool would not replace my washer a 3rd time. We as consumers really need to understand warranty specs and restrictions, especially on extended warranties before deciding on buying.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A year should be enough time to find manufacturer defects on electronics - especially with something with no moving parts.

Just sucks that you drop upwards and over $2000 and only get a one year safety net. I guess its a good thing im running prep + breakin slides for 400hrs in the first few weeks - about 4 months of viewing time for me.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is not about a double warranty and it is not about not reading the warranty. Clearly I read the warranty the first time this happened. I probably know the warranty parameters better than you, since I have had need to deal with them so often. My issue is with build quality. To not be able to get a single year on either panel is completely unacceptable to me. I have a certain level of build quality expectation, and if you purchase a TV with the expectation for it to not even last two years, I salute you, but I can assure you, you are in the minority. I realize it may be something unique to my location, and if so, so be it. I just find it odd all the other electronics in the house, some much older, some seeing much more use, some sharing the same outlet, are showing no signs of degradation.

Your comment re: a different brand is also a bit strange. The defect rate only affects an individual if THEY experience a defect. It's like swimming in the ocean. Do you think the bulk of people don't go in because of shark attacks? Of course not. But survivors of a shark attack likely think twice about how they approach said activity. I guarantee there is at least one person out there who finds a Samsung or LG or any number of other manufacturers provide units good enough for their uses.

As for environment, the apartments are brand new as of 2010 (not that it really means anything) and everything is protected from the outlet to the TV (no alterations inside the wall re: an in line / house protector unfortunately). The area sees lightning maybe once or twice a year. I know living by the ocean is an issue due to the salt, corrosion etc., but there are plenty of older electronics in the same room which have survived (again, I realize this is not proof of anything).

In the end, it is a learning experience.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark617 View Post

Your comment re: a different brand is also a bit strange. The defect rate only affects an individual if THEY experience a defect. It's like swimming in the ocean. Do you think the bulk of people don't go in because of shark attacks? Of course not. But survivors of a shark attack likely think twice about how they approach said activity. I guarantee there is at least one person out there who finds a Samsung or LG or any number of other manufacturers provide units good enough for their uses.

I respectfully disagree with that analogy. The best thing to go with are failure rates. Of course a defective display is 100% for the owner, but you need to play the odds. The failure rate is lowest with Panasonic, definitely lower than Samsung, So switching to a Samsung actually increases your risk of another defective TV compared to a 2nd Panasonic. And as already stated, Samsung customer service is atrocious, much worse than Panny. I have bought 2 Samsung and 2 Panasonic HDTVs over the years, and will never buy another Samsung.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52

In any event, when purchasing a new panel would certainly find an Extended Warranty to go along with it.

Even though that (extended warranty) is not a Purchase we generally recommend, we do like to purchase from CostCo when they carry a desired model as they include a 2-year warranty.

Some Credit Cards will also extend the manufacturers warranty by a year.

And, of course, there are companies such as Square Trade - whose warranties Costco sells at a nice price, even if the set was purchased elsewhere.

Buy with some caution however: as other posts have already stated, most warranties come with a number of "out clauses" designed to "protect" the provider from Multiple Claims!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page