Samsung F8500 - new industry standard? [please use links to newer thread] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When did this turn into a Panasonic thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I find it pretty shocking that a reputable outlet is selling the Panasonic for lower than the Samsung on a scam site of all things. All the speculation has been exactly the opposite up until now.

Thank you and drive through.
post #273 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Lets face it, a pre-order price is just that, subject to change right? Of course it is. We quote our pre-order pricing high so it will be no more than indicated, however usually when they come in they will be far less in cost.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #274 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

I am not familiar as to how much they fluctuate from preorder prices (I'm sure it depends on the individual product, but the new Nvidia Titan video card will debut at $1k), but I guess it would ultimately depend on what resellers like yourself have to pay.
post #275 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Who needs a smart TV anyway. A nice, cheap laptop is $300 brand new now a days. Use an HDMI to hook it up, and you can do anything you want on the net.......
There is only one reason not to except the payment methods you have mentioned. The person running the company has a destroyed reputation with these credit card companies and they will no longer do business with such a company.

Visa, Master card, Pay Pal, Amazon, ect ect will not just let anyone except funds........

Crazily, I got BB to price match that place on a 65vt50 last year. I think they've wise up since.
post #276 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLowRider View Post

BuyTv.com has the 65" ZT60 listed at $3699 with free shipping and no tax...
Congratulations, HDLowRider, you have managed to break not one but two basic rules of this board...(a) posting on a subject which has nothing to do with the Topic (Samsung F8500), and (b) quoting/discussing pricing, which is verboten.rolleyes.gif
post #277 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

When did this turn into a Panasonic thread?

Exactly.
post #278 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Exactly.

Well, the panasonic thread turned into a Kuro thread, so I guess panasonic talk ended up here...maybe the F8500 talk should be moved to a Kuro thread?
post #279 of 1868 Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Well, the panasonic thread turned into a Kuro thread, so I guess panasonic talk ended up here...maybe the F8500 talk should be moved to a Kuro thread?

That will most definitely happen when the reviews reveal the F8500 beating the 9.5g Kuro!biggrin.gif
post #280 of 1868 Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Lets face it, a pre-order price is just that, subject to change right? Of course it is. We quote our pre-order pricing high so it will be no more than indicated, however usually when they come in they will be far less in cost.

Chris have you heard ANYTHING concrete from Samsung in regards to when they believe you can expect to see the F8500 ?? and how long does it usually take for the price to level off from the usual higher new release price(I know pre-order prices are always a bit higher due to your only reference is MSRP ). I'd ask about the ST60 but even I know that's a solid month after the F8500s release...
post #281 of 1868 Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Chris have you heard ANYTHING concrete from Samsung in regards to when they believe you can expect to see the F8500 ?? and how long does it usually take for the price to level off from the usual higher new release price(I know pre-order prices are always a bit higher due to your only reference is MSRP ). I'd ask about the ST60 but even I know that's a solid month after the F8500s release...

They are coming in late March/early April.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #282 of 1868 Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Its gonna be tough this year to decide 8500, VT60 or ZT60.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #283 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry about the faux pas... But as I had read the whole thred and seen the "other brand" and comparative pricing listed I thought my comment would be ok... It will not happen in the future... I am new to this and thought my comment might be interesting to some posters...
I did come here to find info on the Samsung !!!
post #284 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Sorry about the faux pas... But as I had read the whole thred and seen the "other brand" and comparative pricing listed I thought my comment would be ok... It will not happen in the future... I am new to this and thought my comment might be interesting to some posters...

No biggie, seeing none of these TVs are available so all pricing is just speculative right now and let's face it the all threads concerning both the F8500 and Panasonic plasmas will have have to endure comparisons and interjection,a rivalry which we the consumers are the benefactors smile.gif
HDLowRider likes this.
post #285 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Yes, yes, it is almost review time !

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #286 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Yes, yes, it is almost review time !

How soon?
post #287 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There is a Plasma Great Found Deals thread where pricing can be discussed. But I am indeed concerned that there is apparently no other top tier alternative to the F8500, since the 6500 and 7000 series have reportedly been eliminated. The 7000 provided an affordable option for high end specs at a lower price point. But now the choice is the lower end 5500, or the higher end 8500. Not much middle ground anymore if I am correct. Although there may be another 530 budget version, but that is not a top tier category.
post #288 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Don't apologize to self-appointed forum police. wink.gif
post #289 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

There is a Plasma Great Found Deals thread where pricing can be discussed. But I am indeed concerned that there is apparently no other top tier alternative to the F8500, since the 6500 and 7000 series have reportedly been eliminated. The 7000 provided an affordable option for high end specs at a lower price point. But now the choice is the lower end 5500, or the higher end 8500. Not much middle ground anymore if I am correct. Although there may be another 530 budget version, but that is not a top tier category.

Samsung is just cutting the "Fat"......Offering 1 High 1 Middle and 1 low seems just about perfect for them.....While the middle sets usually were good for consumers it offered too much overlap as far as product goes..his way there is a clear choice when you want to buy a Samsung wink.gif.....
post #290 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
 But I am indeed concerned that there is apparently no other top tier alternative to the F8500, since the 6500 and 7000 series have reportedly been eliminated.
Yeah, it's sad but this reflects the slow destruction of the middle class in the US. Hats off to Samsung for at least offering their highend model in a 51". Panasonic seems to think there is no market for those of us wanting a highend set but living in modest homes or apartments.
post #291 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarddTimezz View Post

Yeah, it's sad but this reflects the slow destruction of the middle class in the US. Hats off to Samsung for at least offering their highend model in a 51". Panasonic seems to think there is no market for those of us wanting a highend set but living in modest homes or apartments.

Yes, exactly ! I ended up pulling the trigger on a Panny 50"GT50 due to size concern. Thankfully Samsung is offering a "top quality" smallish unit ( 51" )...that's about as big as our bedroom can reasonably go without looking weird" (out of proportion) ...well, to each his own, but again, manufacturers are thinking TV in the "theater room". You should be able to get a "top quality" TV for smaller applications and not have to settle for a 32" cheap LCD.
post #292 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder how much better this tv is with image retention compared to say the PN50B860. I had the 860 and sold it because of the black level and the image retention was pretty bad.
post #293 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Samsung is just cutting the "Fat"......Offering 1 High 1 Middle and 1 low seems just about perfect for them.....While the middle sets usually were good for consumers it offered too much overlap as far as product goes..his way there is a clear choice when you want to buy a Samsung wink.gif.....

I agree that Samsung was way over assorted...
Quote:

... I don't see it that way at all. There was too much product proliferation from Samsung. It creates a problem well outlined in "The Paradox of Choice." Perhaps the streamlining wasn't perfectly done, but this was hardly some 1%-er solution to the problem, it was actually probably designed to make the purchase decision easier while preserving choice.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #294 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

... I don't see it that way at all. There was too much product proliferation from Samsung. It creates a problem well outlined in "The Paradox of Choice." Perhaps the streamlining wasn't perfectly done, but this was hardly some 1%-er solution to the problem, it was actually probably designed to make the purchase decision easier while preserving choice.

All the Samsung models are pretty bewildering. They just throw them all out there and see what sell. At the same time, I wish they would make a high end display stripped of all the smart crud. As wide as their coverage is, they still miss my sweet spot.

And what's with the 64"? They cheated me an inch! If you're going to deviate from the norm, give me an extra inch!
post #295 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. Slow down there chief. A TV manufacturers assortment reflects the slow destruction of the middle class? Really? Do you actually read what you type before you submit it? I don't think Samsung's motives are that serious.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #296 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I agree with streamlining the offerings but my point was more along the lines of size offerings. For those of us wanting a highend plasma in a nice 50" size this Samsung is now the only player left standing! Panasonic has the S and ST midline but no VT or ZT. When I asked the question to a Panny insider they responded with the smaller sizes in flagship models were not profitable for them in the US and will only be available in Europe. Strange because I own a 46" pz850u and it wasn't that long ago that 50" was considered huge. I guess everyone lives in a 3000sqft home?
post #297 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with streamlining the offerings but my point was more along the lines of size offerings. For those of us wanting a highend plasma in a nice 50" size this Samsung is now the only player left standing! Panasonic has the S and ST midline but no VT or ZT. When I asked the question to a Panny insider they responded with the smaller sizes in flagship models were not profitable for them in the US and will only be available in Europe. Strange because I own a 46" pz850u and it wasn't that long ago that 50" was considered huge. I guess everyone lives in a 3000sqft home?

You can't argue with their sales though. If they said it wasn't profitable, then it wasn't. What would their motivation be for lying?

post #298 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

You can't argue with their sales though. If they said it wasn't profitable, then it wasn't. What would their motivation be for lying?
This is exactly my point. For Panasonic to say there is no market for small sized flagships I feel is a terrible decision and shows they are out of touch with their customer. They couldnt sell any 65" vt50s until the price was cut in half! I was hoping for at least the VT60 in a 50" but no cigar! Samsung will get my money this time around as there are no other options except to brave the used market for a pioneer.
post #299 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is exactly my point. For Panasonic to say there is no market for small sized flagships I feel is a terrible decision and shows they are out of touch with their customer. They couldnt sell any 65" vt50s until the price was cut in half! I was hoping for at least the VT60 in a 50" but no cigar! Samsung will get my money this time around as there are no other options except to brave the used market for a pioneer.

Panasonic sold quite a few 65VT50's well before the price was "cut in half"(BTW, not really in half). In addition to this, the 50GT50 wasn't flying off the shelf. I understand your frustration, but it wasn't some deliberate snub by Panasonic to screw you out of a smaller high-end set. The fact is, you are in the minority. High-end 50" sets just aren't in high demand. The Samsung might do somewhat well this year, but it's because it is the only one. There just wasn't enough demand for 3 of them.

post #300 of 1868 Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I wonder how much better this tv is with image retention compared to say the PN50B860. I had the 860 and sold it because of the black level and the image retention was pretty bad.

Interesting.....I have the 58B850 and I never experienced IR......and the black level isn't as good as these recent sets but at the time they weren't so bad. Also thought the colours were fantastic

Anyways.....it will be interesting to see the F8500......looks like a beut
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Plasma Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page