Samsung F8500 - new industry standard? [please use links to newer thread] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

You can always just get an oppo 103 for $500 but I disagree all displays today have crappy processing....its decent on my st30 actually.

re: Oppo 103

Which would do nothing for your cable/satellite/OTA viewing. If I found the display panel lacking in the video processing dept., I'd much rather get an elcheapo blu-ray player and bite the cost bullet on a higher end receiver known for high quality video processing than splurge on the Oppo blu-ray player.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

This's kinda of the subject,I was using Disney WOW to calibrate my OPPO,and was checking screen size.
It says measure the distance from the TV to your seat and divided by 2,my measurements are 90"÷2= 45".
Can I get a 64"?
I'am asking because the dealer is only bringing the 64" and it's my first plasma.

45in is pretty conservative, honestly I think 60" would probably be the sweet spot for 90" though THX would argue you could go up to a 75in TV. However 1080p at 75in is going to not be super sharp and would be more ideal for 4K. Though then again I sit about 22in away from a 22in screen and I'm fine with it so a 64" would be smaller in my field of view. As long as you are feeding it nice 1080p material I think you'll probably enjoy it once you get used to the size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance
oddmania likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

This's kinda of the subject,I was using Disney WOW to calibrate my OPPO,and was checking screen size.
It says measure the distance from the TV to your seat and divided by 2,my measurements are 90"÷2= 45".
Can I get a 64"?
I'am asking because the dealer is only bringing the 64" and it's my first plasma.
1. Using Disney's WOW is not calibration. wink.gif

2. Disney's advice is nonsense, we are not in the CRT SD age anymore. I sit 1.70 metres away with a 50 inch LG plasma. I'm planning to get a 65" VT65 for the same distance, in fact, it will be 1.70 metres, cause of Panasonic's stand in comparison to LG's stand. 65" will fill my FOV better, especially for 2.35:1 content. Occasianally I will probably see the screendoor effect, but nevertheless the picture will still appear sharp and if I decide to get the Samsung F8500 instead, the screen door wouldn't be visible from my seating distance, cause of the higher pixelfillrate of the new Samsung.

Besides, think of projectors. People use them with 142" and even bigger screens and all do that with 1080p content, without sitting 284" away. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

1. Using Disney's WOW is not calibration. wink.gif

2. Disney's advice is nonsense, we are not in the CRT SD age anymore. I sit 1.70 metres away with a 50 inch LG plasma. I'm planning to get a 65" VT65 for the same disatance, in fact, it will be 1.70 metres, cause of Panasonic's stand in comparison to LG's stand. 65" will fill my FOV better, especially for 2.35:1 content. Occasianally I will probably see the screendoor effect, but nevertheless the picture will still appear sharp and if I decide to get the Samsung F8500 instead, the screen door wouldn't be visible from my seating distance, cause of the higher pixel fill rate of the new Samsung.

Besides, think of projectors. People use them with 142" and even bigger screens and all do that with 1080p content, without sitting 284" away. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

My thought's exactly,64" it is.
Thanks for the advice guy's really appreciate it.
Turrican4D likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

if I decide to get the Samsung F8500 instead, the screen door wouldn't be visible from my seating distance, cause of the higher pixelfillrate of the new Samsung.
What higher pixel fillrate? The subpixels on the F8500 plasmas are bigger, but the count is the same, 1920x1080x3.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yup, you got that right. I had the Pro 151 and the SD was nothing to rave about, but as time passes there was nothing they couldn't do. wink.gif

I did forget to say though, that here in Europe/UK it is the PAL format 576i at 50HZ. Where Pioneer reigns supreme, without even trying. If one wanted to compare it to Panasonic consumer displays, and where even the industrial models are not much better in that regard. Where 50HZ is an utter mess to be quite polite about it.

Doesn't matter so much here i suppose 50HZ - but even still - it's about making the best of a bad job with inbuilt processing. Or should be.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

re: Oppo 103

Which would do nothing for your cable/satellite/OTA viewing. If I found the display panel lacking in the video processing dept., I'd much rather get an elcheapo blu-ray player and bite the cost bullet on a higher end receiver known for high quality video processing than splurge on the Oppo blu-ray player.

You need to do some homework. The Oppo 103 is also a video processing unit which you can send any type of video signal through for deinterlacing and scaling - including cable/satellite. The processing on the unit is quite good.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Never apologize for the size of your TV.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopermario View Post

What higher pixel fillrate? The subpixels on the F8500 plasmas are bigger, but the count is the same, 1920x1080x3.

Having bigger subpixels on the same size screen with the same resolution means it has a higher fillrate as there is no other way you could accomplish that. Basically they are just minimizing the gaps between pixels which minimizes the screen door effect. If you had pixels that had 0 gaps between them there would be no way of ever seeing the screen door effect.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Normaly pixelfillrate has something to do with graphic cards, that's why I asked.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Having bigger subpixels on the same size screen with the same resolution means it has a higher fillrate as there is no other way you could accomplish that. Basically they are just minimizing the gaps between pixels which minimizes the screen door effect. If you had pixels that had 0 gaps between them there would be no way of ever seeing the screen door effect.

I wonder if this will give a smoother and more natural image from normal seating differences or just marketing bragging?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

I wonder if this will give a smoother and more natural image from normal seating differences or just marketing bragging?

It could help explain the allegedly much higher brightness, so it's not likely "just marketing".

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:

The number one reason for buyers remorse is screen size.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I trust that is related to choosing a "smaller" screen wink.gif
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Exactly. I've never had a customer come back to me and say the tv they bought was too large; it's always that they wish they had gone a size larger.

I have the same remorse myself. Had a 55" Sony about 6 years ago and wish it was larger. Moved, and upgraded to a 65" VT50 thinking that would be a large upgrade. Love the TV, but I really wish it was at least a 75".

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

You need to do some homework. The Oppo 103 is also a video processing unit which you can send any type of video signal through for deinterlacing and scaling - including cable/satellite. The processing on the unit is quite good.

In the back of my mind, I considered that might be a possibility. Figured you would come along and correct me if so. sho nuff, you did! cool.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
ever watch HGTV and see people build a beautiful media room with wood paneling and the works, then stick a 46" TV in the middle (usually mounted way too high)? oh the humanity.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM

New to forum. So hi to everybody! I have till march 21st to return my floor model samsung 51 inch 8000 plasma bought from best buy. The TV is actually really nice I returned an ES7100 for it. The 8000 plasma has no buzz no burn in nothing I also bought the 5 year warranty from them in case. Should I return the 8000 and go ahead and preorder this new one the F8500? Saw on Amazon is at 2100 something preorder. Im not a TV expert or anything so was wondering if you TV gurus can help me out? I paid a total of 1480 with the 5 year warrant for the 51 inch 8000
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2219 View Post

New to forum. So hi to everybody! I have till march 21st to return my floor model samsung 51 inch 8000 plasma bought from best buy. The TV is actually really nice I returned an ES7100 for it. The 8000 plasma has no buzz no burn in nothing I also bought the 5 year warranty from them in case. Should I return the 8000 and go ahead and preorder this new one the F8500? Saw on Amazon is at 2100 something preorder. Im not a TV expert or anything so was wondering if you TV gurus can help me out? I paid a total of 1480 with the 5 year warrant for the 51 inch 8000

No one knows for sure, but I believe the F8500 is going to be a big step above Samsung's previous panels as it was made from ground up. Overall, it sounds like you got a nice deal so it just really depends on whether the price difference would be worth it to you for presumably a big jump in PQ. If you are not a hardcore video enthusiast, then I would say probably just keep what you have. If you are though and you get your sets pro ca'ld, I would definitely go with the F8500.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
If it lives up to the hype, it won't just be a big step above Samsung's previous models, it will be a step above any plasmas that came before.
rogo likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

If it lives up to the hype, it won't just be a big step above Samsung's previous models, it will be a step above any plasmas that came before.

And if the ZT lives up to the hype - it will be a big step above it's industrial model brothers.

Which anyone in their right mind knows it utter nonsense because industrial monitors are more pricey for a reason. Except for Pioneers of course but their engineers were resigned to the fact that top quality couldn't be profitable. Panasonic don't work that way with their consumer models and they never will. The monitors are a higher price to reflect the higher quality in components. And it really is, as simple as all that with Panasonic - the rest is hype, and hype only.

The F8500 will likely have better quality components imho than the ZT or VT
craigyboy likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

And if the ZT lives up to the hype - it will be a big step above it's industrial model brothers.

Which anyone in their right mind knows it utter nonsense because industrial monitors are more pricey for a reason. Except for Pioneers of course but their engineers were resigned to the fact that top quality couldn't be profitable. Panasonic don't work that way with their consumer models and they never will. The monitors are a higher price to reflect the higher quality in components. And it really is, as simple as all that with Panasonic - the rest is hype, and hype only.

The F8500 will likely have better quality components imho than the ZT or VT

Could be...BUT..just because it has better quality components....does NOT mean it will have a better picture. Time will tell.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM

I will get my set calibrated by best buy since im a silver reward zone member for free just been waiting cause I want sure if I was going to keep the sammy 8000 set. Im not sure if you call best buy a pro calibration or not lol. But I was also looking at the F5500 and its cheaper brand new compare to a us sammy 8000. But im not suere if the the new F5500 is comparable to the 2012 8000?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2219 View Post

I will get my set calibrated by best buy since im a silver reward zone member for free just been waiting cause I want sure if I was going to keep the sammy 8000 set. Im not sure if you call best buy a pro calibration or not lol. But I was also looking at the F5500 and its cheaper brand new compare to a us sammy 8000. But im not suere if the the new F5500 is comparable to the 2012 8000?

I wouldnt get calibration by Best Buy too many "bad stories" but there have been a few good ones.......No one knows how the F8500 compares, but it would techincally be the replacement for the 8000 in linear speak...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't walk - RUN - from Best Buy calibrators. Always stick with one of the traveling calibrators. Seriously! I've been using Chad B for the last eight years with three different displays and cannot recommend him enough.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Don't walk - RUN - from Best Buy calibrators. Always stick with one of the traveling calibrators. Seriously! I've been using Chad B for the last eight years with three different displays and cannot recommend him enough.

Well, as long as you're getting a free calibration and they use the user menu for calibration, what's the harm? You can always reset if you don't like it.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
If anything I'd return the 8000 and get a 7000 - save a couple hundred $$. Unless you think you'll wave and talk to your TV. Or if you'll use the camera. That's the only difference. smile.gif

But I'm a frugal 7000 owner who doesn't find any value in the gesture and voice control of the 8000. And I have superior devices for FaceTime style video chat (iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pros, even an xBox 360 with kinect - but I'm too cheap to pay for the online service). smile.gif

You can get a 51" 7000 for around $1000 - half the cost of the F8500. But the F8500 does sound pretty sweet.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 PM

I dont use any camera, voice, etc... from the sammy 8000. The plan in the beginning was to buy the sammy 7000 but they didnt have any in stock or to order. So i took the sammy 8000 floor model. I live in Lafayette Indiana where can I find a Calibrator I think thats what they are called lol. But yeah Since I dont use the extra features on the TV I was gonna return it for the Samsung F5500 reading the specs on it seems like it is close to the 8000 sammy of 2012 except no camera etc... But not sure what to do at this point.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I don't believe 2012 Samsungs were a big leap over what they offered in 2011 PQ-wise (someone can correct me if I'm forgetting something), so I'd go with the best deal you can find.

Tags
Samsung , Plasma Hdtv