Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They need to continue R&D and figure out how to get curb sensitive imagine retention and vertical line issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia

"Thanks for the detailed answer! I appreciate the feedback. As usual, sounds like Amazon's costumer service is first rate. I live in a mayor city, so hopefully the delivery itself should be a little smoother. Thanks again, and good luck with your new S64!"

55ST60 Amazon return update - synopsis: snafu continues but Amazon appears determined to fix it.

Details if you're interested:

The shipper who botched things so badly last week had promised to be here today without exception. They were a no show. Pilot's lead agent for Amazon got involved. After RAC wouldn't return her calls, she cancelled the pickup and rescheduled with Great Plains. They'll reportedly call me Wednesday and pick up the TV later this week; no excuses accepted for rolling it into a THIRD week. Or so I'm told.. tongue.gif

Amazon has sent me a link to update them about progress after each email so I have done that each time. No animosity of course since that accomplishes nothing, just the facts.

An Amazon rep just called me. I had a very hard time understanding him due to a severe accent so it is possible he is in India or maybe from there. Nevertheless, I eventually understood him to say that in his opinion, what RAC has done is totally unacceptable and the delays are unacceptable.

He apologized sincerely and said that their target for refund on a TV return is 2 weeks and the return pickup will have been delayed that long. He took these steps and followed up with this email:

"I'm providing a follow-up e-mail to our conversation. As we discussed, I will process an advanced refund as soon as your TV is picked up. I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here: (link removed)
If no, please click here: (link removed)

Best Regards,

Oscar M.
Amazon.com"

Although I really don't feel that Amazon is responsible for these flubs, I do believe they have taken good steps to make sure I at least feel like they're doing what they can and that they value me as a customer. Perhaps they choose to accept responsibility since they hired Pilot who subletted the final leg to RAC, I don't know. Still, IME, how rare for any business to step up like this nowadays? I need to set aside some of my cynicism; there are certainly still good businesses out there!

Although there have been shipping errors and it has been a bit aggravating at times, Amazon has kept a loyal customer through it. smile.gif

End plug.

mm
post #3153 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Who is your provider? Does the box include a "native mode"? The only reason I ask is because I used to notice the things you're experiencing until I changed providers. Uverse doesn't have a native mode on their box and converts all material to either 720p or 1080i (very very poorly). I switched to Comcast and bought a Tivo (which has a native mode), and it was like the bitrate doubled. Compression blocks and crushed, washed-out blacks all disappeared.

I miss native mode on my PVR more than anything else.. it used to be an option but now the cable provider (Rogers Cable) took it away when they introduced their new HD interface (tv guide, menus..). I have an HQV Vida chip in my AVR, why would I ever want that stupid cable box to do any video processing.. makes no sense to remove such options, cable customers should have the option to select an output resolution or select native mode, and not be forced to select between 720p or 1080i mad.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #3154 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked: 12
So heres my question. Can anyone recommend some 3D glasses that are a little bit bigger and that cover your eyes better with out letting light come in through the sides. Something more goggle-like. Cuz lets face it, if Im already sitting in front of the tv with glasses on, I dont care what I look like.

I also find the glossiness of the glasses to be distracting. The light from the movie can even get through the lenses and reflect off the glasses and into my eyes. Are there any glasses with a more matte finish?
post #3155 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

They need to continue R&D and figure out how to get curb sensitive imagine retention and vertical line issue.

Unfortunately R&D is done and over with for plasma displays, they've moved on to the next big thing.. 4k, Ultra HD, OLED... but no HDMI 2.0 so whatever. Oh yeah and 8k a few years afterwards.. yeah right tongue.gif

Thankfully, Panasonic was able to end it with a bang with the S-ST-VT-ZT60's biggrin.gif

I would think that they'll be selling these panels for a while... if Kuro's were that price, they would still be around now, maybe..

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #3156 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I miss native mode on my PVR more than anything else.. it used to be an option but now the cable provider (Rogers Cable) took it away when they introduced their new HD interface (tv guide, menus..). I have an HQV Vida chip in my AVR, why would I ever want that stupid cable box to do any video processing.. makes no sense to remove such options, cable customers should have the option to select an output resolution or select native mode, and not be forced to select between 720p or 1080i mad.gif

There could be an option in service mode. When I had my original box from Comcast, a customer service guy helped me through that. If it's a Moto box, try turning it off an instantly push and hold the guide button.
post #3157 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It seems Panasonic is proving blacks can keep getting better and better. I think if Panasonic were to continue R&D, you would still see this trend, but the ZT60 is likely to be as good as it gets given the circumstances with no more R&D.
Maybe they developed a unit that only gets better with time, like a fine wine wink.gif
post #3158 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:

So I just turned native mode to on with my Direct TV cable box and even an SD channel looks good now. So yeah, the upscaler in the TV is obviously better then what is in the box so if people have the choice you might want to make sure that show native is turned on.

Oh, and maybe Panasonic is not out of the game yet:

http://hdguru.com/breaking-news-panasonic-to-continue-plasma-tv-research-and-development/

But if they do choose to stop producing Plasma's as others have said that will not stop them from fixing the software side of things. I am sure the ST60 will see it's fair share up updates and fixes.
post #3159 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

So I just turned native mode to on with my Direct TV cable box and even an SD channel looks good now. So yeah, the upscaler in the TV is obviously better then what is in the box so if people have the choice you might want to make sure that show native is turned on.

Oh, and maybe Panasonic is not out of the game yet:

http://hdguru.com/breaking-news-panasonic-to-continue-plasma-tv-research-and-development/

But if they do choose to stop producing Plasma's as others have said that will not stop them from fixing the software side of things. I am sure the ST60 will see it's fair share up updates and fixes.

Oh nice! Good to know.
post #3160 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by msobetzko View Post

....I'm working on setting up my overall "system" including my universal remote. Here is where I get to 2 disappointments, hoping there is a way around this (or I'm just overlooking something).

The TV is in the bedroom and my wife and I are habitual "TV to get to sleep" people. The remote does not have a sleep timer, you need to move through a couple of menus to set the sleep timer. This is not working for me. Is there something, a direct way to get to the sleep timer?

Older Panasonics had a dedicated SLEEP key on the remote, but starting around 2006 or 2007 they discontinued that key and now we have to go through the menu to activate SLEEP, but on my PZ700U, G10, and GT50 the SLEEP function is still within the TV even though there's no key on their remotes. The SLEEP key on my 2005 PX50U directly activates the SLEEP function on these TVs, and believe it or not the Sleep key on the remote for my late mother's old early 90's Panasonic Tube TV activates the SLEEP function on all four of my Plasmas. If you know anybody with an older Panasonic TV that has a Sleep key on their remote, maybe you could borrow that remote and teach the Sleep command to your Universal Remote. I used my PX50 remote to teach the Sleep command to my URC MX500 and R40 remotes.

There are also some Sleep Timers built into the TV - if you close your eyes about the same time every night you can program a timer to automatically turn the TV off at a set time on certain nights sometime after you normally fall asleep. You can set a timer for weeknights at say 11:00pm, and set another timer to turn it off at 2:00am on Saturday only etc. My boss uses these timers as an alarm clock to wake him up in the morning.

Quote:
Also, I'm used to having the universal remote mute the TV when I select to use the home theater surround. But the mute function puts a MUTE ICON on the TV. Is there an option to NOT have the mute icon on the TV?

On my Panasonic GT50, the MUTE icon goes away by itself about 3 seconds after pressing the Mute key. Does your icon stay up on the screen for however long the TV is muted? Check it out, maybe you haven't given it enough time to extinguish itself, and it really does go away on it's own after several seconds. If not, can you program your Universal Remote to send a MUTE command followed by the EXIT command? That should extinguish the icon while leaving the TV muted. Me, i just leave my TV's volume at Zero when i'm using my surround sound system.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3161 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 838
I have my AVR set up to override the tv volume when I turn it on. So when I turn it on there is no volume on the tv and when I turn the avr off the tv volume resumes where it was left at. Sweet! smile.gif
I can set it that way or to listen to both when I turn on the AVR.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3162 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There could be an option in service mode. When I had my original box from Comcast, a customer service guy helped me through that. If it's a Moto box, try turning it off an instantly push and hold the guide button.

Really ?!? Its a Cisco 8642HD.. I know how to access the service menu, but as far as I know thats basically just 30 or so pages of various diagnostic stats.. not sure if this is where I could change some setting? I really really wish I could do that, perfect example why pasted below.. the HQV Vida would kill the cable box in every way... and now I cant even use it for watching tv (99% of my system use is for tv), I'm relying on that cable box to upconvert 480i (I never watch these anyways though) and 720p channels to 1080i. That's the kicker, taking a 720p signal, interlacing and upscaling it to 1080i, only to have your AVR or TV deinterlace it again, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Yeah exactly.. I wish it was that easy for me. It used to be, but they took away that option mad.gif

post #3163 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really ?!? Its a Cisco 8642HD.. I know how to access the service menu, but as far as I know thats basically just 30 or so pages of various diagnostic stats.. not sure if this is where I could change some setting? I really really wish I could do that, perfect example why pasted below.. the HQV Vida would kill the cable box in every way... and now I cant even use it for watching tv (99% of my system use is for tv), I'm relying on that cable box to upconvert 480i (I never watch these anyways though) and 720p channels to 1080i. That's the kicker, taking a 720p signal, interlacing and upscaling it to 1080i, only to have your AVR or TV deinterlace it again, wow.
Yeah exactly.. I wish it was that easy for me. It used to be, but they took away that option mad.gif
I have the same box. Settings>High Definition>Output resolution>Auto select

post #3164 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

To correct you It's:

1. Power off the box

2. Press and hold the menu button to access the service portion

I've got a question also:

My Moto HD DVR (Comcast) it has a sharpness setting; should this be lowered to 1?
post #3165 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have the same box. Settings>High Definition>Output resolution>Auto select

I wish it was that easy. Rogers has a different implementation. Look at the Settings menu. Thx for trying though smile.gif

post #3166 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

To correct you It's:

1. Power off the box

2. Press and hold the menu button to access the service portion

I've got a question also:

My Moto HD DVR (Comcast) it has a sharpness setting; should this be lowered to 1?

I wouldn't use sharpness setting on the DVR, I would leave at the lowest setting, and use the sharpness control on the tv if you want to increase sharpness - or another option is to get a Darbee cool.gif

post #3167 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
I just re-watched parts of Mr Nobody.. This TV is incredible, and mr nobody, beside being a great movie, has some insanely good cinematography.. Best images i ever saw on a TV.
post #3168 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 10
I just got a new 65" ST60, but my HDMI inputs don't seem to work. It seems to me the HDMI cables do not fit all the way into the TV. Here is a pic.

It is not flush to the input. Those that have the ST60, do your HDMI cables go in flush. Silly question, but the cables work fine on other TV's. I've also tried other cables and none will insert in flush.

Wanted to see what people here have seen with it. I can run component to watch TV right now, but can't run any HDMI. Apprecaite your feedback (and pics of yours if they are flush!)
post #3169 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Not flush here, and working.
post #3170 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Liked: 24
Not flush here and working
post #3171 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM

I'm running my PS3 direct into it right now. Jump to HDMI 3 (where it is plugged into) and no screen or sound. Am I missing something I need to set up. I have a 5 yr Samsung 46" LCD that just is plug and play. What am I missing here... This should be the same or does this have some set up I need to run. May have to start from scratch tomorrow... Getting late, but want my new toy to work right! smile.gif
post #3172 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbertok View Post

I'm running my PS3 direct into it right now. Jump to HDMI 3 (where it is plugged into) and no screen or sound. Am I missing something I need to set up. I have a 5 yr Samsung 46" LCD that just is plug and play. What am I missing here... This should be the same or does this have some set up I need to run. May have to start from scratch tomorrow... Getting late, but want my new toy to work right! smile.gif
Most likely a setting in your receiver.

post #3173 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Most likely a setting in your receiver.

I thought of that as well, but when I go direct from my PS3 to the TV same problem. Still might have to make some setting changes on the receiver, but I have removed it from the equation at the moment by going direct from PS3 into the TV.
post #3174 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought of that as well, but when I go direct from my PS3 to the TV same problem. Still might have to make some setting changes on the receiver, but I have removed it from the equation at the moment by going direct from PS3 into the TV.
When ypu go direct from ps3 to receiver you get no picture or sound?
Try a different HDMI cable.
Try a different HDMI input on the tv.

post #3175 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

You may be doing this already, but just in case try this.

Power off everything in your HDMI chain.

Power on the TV and select the HDMI input that you want to use.

Wait several seconds, and then power on the next device - the PS3. Have it set to the correct output HDMI before you do this test.

If that doesn't work then it's probably not a handshake problem. Your LCD isn't going to request handshake, so that doesn't tell you anything other than that the HDMI cable that you're using is working.

If you've verified that the settings are correct, then you may have a bad input board on the TV. I assume that your PS3 and HDMI cable work with the LED.
post #3176 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Having seen a VT25, IMO there is no comparison the ST60 looks worlds better from what I can recall (been a few years, I just remember not being anywhere near as blown away as I have been with this set)

I LOATHE 2009/2010 Panasonic Plasma Line. Their blacks were not that great IMO, and they had this Auto Contrast feature, I don't know what it was actually called, the panel would brighten or dim automattically depending on how bright or dark a scene was. You could litterally see the black bars get brighter or darker depending on the scene. Drove me absolutely insane on my G25.. and it could not be turned off, there were people posting tutorials on how to tape an LED light inside the casing of the TV to keep it from happening (making the black lighter still, but keeping it from fluctiating)

IIRC the VT25 does not have an AR filter either, at least on my friends I can recall the reflections being there. Black levels are not as good and I belive those models had a problem with Rising black levels (TV's blacks got brighter over time..

I would not take that big of a step backwards

Hell id probably take the S60 over the VT25

Thanks for al the input, and really appreciate detailed input on this reply.

No brainer, I'll stick to buying the ST60 smile.gif
post #3177 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 29
Speaking of HDMI inputs...

I've been connecting to my TV via my AVR. HDMI cables plugged into AVR, one HDMI cable going to the TV. I notice a lot of people have different settings for different inputs. I suppose if I really wanted to do that without overriding default settings on say vibrant, cinema, etc I'd have to plug my components into the TV and then run an optical cable to the avr yes? And then it would allow me to have multiple HDMI inputs to put in my own configurations under "user"?

All I really do is watch blu rays though. I'll likely just pick my least appealing default options and plug day, night and game modes into three of those and save the custom one for night time movie watching so I can keep everything plugged into my AVR.

post #3178 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You may be doing this already, but just in case try this.

Power off everything in your HDMI chain.

Power on the TV and select the HDMI input that you want to use.

Wait several seconds, and then power on the next device - the PS3. Have it set to the correct output HDMI before you do this test.

If that doesn't work then it's probably not a handshake problem. Your LCD isn't going to request handshake, so that doesn't tell you anything other than that the HDMI cable that you're using is working.

If you've verified that the settings are correct, then you may have a bad input board on the TV. I assume that your PS3 and HDMI cable work with the LED.

I had a similar problem in getting my PS3 to recognize the display as 3D capable when connected through my Yamaha RX-V867. The first time I did it the thing wouldn't acknowledge it was possible. After I turned the PS3 off and fiddled with things, the next time I turned it on it asked me about the 3D capabilities and display size and it has worked ever since. I don't remember the sequence of events that got it to work though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Speaking of HDMI inputs...

I've been connecting to my TV via my AVR. HDMI cables plugged into AVR, one HDMI cable going to the TV. I notice a lot of people have different settings for different inputs. I suppose if I really wanted to do that without overriding default settings on say vibrant, cinema, etc I'd have to plug my components into the TV and then run an optical cable to the avr yes? And then it would allow me to have multiple HDMI inputs to put in my own configurations under "user"?

All I really do is watch blu rays though. I'll likely just pick my least appealing default options and plug day, night and game modes into three of those and save the custom one for night time movie watching so I can keep everything plugged into my AVR.
That should work. My AVR has two HDMI outputs so I suppose I could keep everything running through the AVR and use two inputs on the TV to have different settings depending on which output I'm using. So far I haven't seen a reason to bother.

my NADs are new
post #3179 of 12857 Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM

No current plans to add 48Hz 3D playback mode via firmware, but they probably haven't seen many complaints about it yet. Worth a shot, though.
Quote:
Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for your inquiry,
You model Panasonic TV was designed with 48Hz play back, but only for 2D. We are
not aware of any firmware update intended to address your concern.
Thank you for contacting Panasonic.
post #3180 of 12857 Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

No current plans to add 48Hz 3D playback mode via firmware, but they probably haven't seen many complaints about it yet. Worth a shot, though.

Whether it's input lag, 3d, or whatever, the response from Panasonic to the ST60 complaints seem to be mainly the giant middle finger.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page