post #3421 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

Free is free, but am I the only one that thinks this touch pen is basically an accessory that will never be used? For that matter, even if you had a good reason to use it, would you want to be using a writing utensil on the screen in the first place?eek.gif

the only time I could think of this being practical for me is as a teacher, I have a smartboard at school and occasionally it's easier to just write out formulae instead of messing around with formatting and special characters etc. occasionally(like 4 times a year) i'll be preparing notes at home and debate whether I should spend the extra time now and deal with the formatting, or wait and just write it in when I get to school. in those situations I suppose I could just go to the panny and write it in just like at school.

other than that, I don't know, maybe to break down how you just schooled your friend in madden '13?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I'm about 12' from my 50". I couldn't stand the THX viewing distance, way too close for me. I'd probably rather have the 55" than the 60". The 60" is a lot better deal though so I might possibly be swayed that way. I have two PS3s but don't watch blu-rays. I have DirecTV HD, rent and own DVDs and record DVDs from DTV. The recorded DVDs are a little on the soft side so I don't think they would be a problem unless this TV has the massive amount of posterization the S60 had, which I'm hoping it doesn't, it was worst on the recorded DVDs for some reason.

not to sound rude, but this is pretty simple. you need better quality sources.

with what you have now, it's not really about the display, it's about the upconversion software. get something that sends an honest 1080p signal and you should have no problem going with a bigger TV.

the size of the TV really just allows you to use it in a large room. you can sit farther away without struggling to see what's on screen. the resolution of the TV (and source) is what allows you to sit closer, and have a large image. if you follow guidelines, your viewing experience should be exactly the same with either size, what will change is how far away you sit. it's like if you're lieing down and you place your laptop on your stomach and notice it's screen is actually 'larger' than the 60" tv 12feet away.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3423 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

not to sound rude, but this is pretty simple. you need better quality sources.

I'm not changing sources. If that's what it takes I have no interest in bigger. I'm HEAVILY invested in what I have now with thousands of recorded DVDs and thousands spent on them. No way I'm starting over now.
post #3424 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Not sure if people know this but you can get a free touch pen from Panasonic.

PCEC5822-1_VIERA_TearPad_HR-2.pdf 292k .pdf file

I personally won't even put in the effort to get one...even for free!
post #3425 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I went from a 50" to 60", and the only source that looks worse on my 60" is Comcast cable. Blu-ray looks as good as on the 50" (if not better), as well as my PC gaming machine I hooked up yesterday. It does make sense that the picture would theoretically look more "grainy" on a larger screen, as its going to be a lower pixel density (you can only stretch 1920x1080 so far), but the sheer size increase and incredible picture quality will more than make up for that. The ONLY thing I am not liking about my 60" ST60 is how HD cable tv looks. I believe coming from my smaller screen 50" Samsung, to the bigger 60" Panasonic, I am definitely seeing way more flaws. I also believe the Samsung just had better processing (making the picture better) as well. I seem to be the only one reporting this problem though, and I'm sure it has to do with the overall bad quality of my (and most people's) cable feed.

I thought you fixed this issue by switching your box to output "native"???
post #3426 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I went from a 50" to 60", and the only source that looks worse on my 60" is Comcast cable. Blu-ray looks as good as on the 50" (if not better), as well as my PC gaming machine I hooked up yesterday. It does make sense that the picture would theoretically look more "grainy" on a larger screen, as its going to be a lower pixel density (you can only stretch 1920x1080 so far), but the sheer size increase and incredible picture quality will more than make up for that. The ONLY thing I am not liking about my 60" ST60 is how HD cable tv looks. I believe coming from my smaller screen 50" Samsung, to the bigger 60" Panasonic, I am definitely seeing way more flaws. I also believe the Samsung just had better processing (making the picture better) as well. I seem to be the only one reporting this problem though, and I'm sure it has to do with the overall bad quality of my (and most people's) cable feed.

You are not the only one reporting this - I went from a 42" to the 60" and I noticed a HUGE difference in HDTV quality. I really think the smaller screen "hid" the issues better. On a side note, I went back to my 42" to watch a bluray - WOW what a worse picture than I remembered - now that I know what AmAzing looks like! Now I am getting to feel like the 60" is WAY better picture and HDTV actually looks better than I thought at first.
Quote:

I agree, I would never use it but you can get one and sell it. I would much rather then give away a Skype camera. Now that is something everyone would use.

I hope by them telling people to draw on their screens it is saying our screens are pretty resistant to damage. That in itself works make be feel good if they built a screen that is hard to damage. I am sure all of us with kids cringe every time we see them pick up a hot wheels car.

Your thought gave me an idea - use the pen WITH Skype - draw horns on your mother-in-law and she wouldn't know smile.gif
post #3427 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone on here had any experience with the free shipping from Best Buy? I'm curious as to how it works. I know you schedule a date for them to deliver it, but beyond that how does it work? Is it something where I'd have to be at home all day?
post #3428 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I'm not changing sources. If that's what it takes I have no interest in bigger. I'm HEAVILY invested in what I have now with thousands of recorded DVDs and thousands spent on them. No way I'm starting over now.

If you wanna keep watching DVDs on this beast, you might wanna try some other video processing besides the display. Like an Oppo player, an AVR with an HQV or QDEO chip, an iscan duo etc.. Might help a bit

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #3429 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by phekno View Post

Has anyone on here had any experience with the free shipping from Best Buy? I'm curious as to how it works. I know you schedule a date for them to deliver it, but beyond that how does it work? Is it something where I'd have to be at home all day?
My guess is they ship the item from the closest store so it will be a Best Buy truck that delivers it. You would need to be home. They also unbox it and put it together on the stand for you.

Oh, the day before they give you a 2 hour window of when they will be there.
post #3430 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Called my local Video Only, still no 60ST60's. I love it, it's already May and they still can't get them in.

post #3431 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM

Good to know that Sears isn't the only retailer having issues.
post #3432 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa-Yoo View Post

I can assume that $100 shipping fee for the 65ST60 on your site doesnt apply to international shipping right? lol
(im in Bermuda btw)
Correct, I wish frown.gif

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #3433 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That's the kind of thing that BB's top management is good at. eek.gif

Burn-in was my only reservation when it came down to getting a plasma. Panasonic can say all day that it isn't really a problem anymore but until they put their money where their mouth is and actually cover burn-in with their warranty... I'll take that extra protection from BB. tongue.gif

post #3434 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

Called my local Video Only, still no 60ST60's. I love it, it's already May and they still can't get them in.

At least you have a Video Only tongue.gif

Here in Fresno, a city of 600k+ (including Clovis), we have Sears and 2 Best Buys and neither has a Magnolia center. No VT60 or F8500 in sight. Going today to see if they have a ST60 on display and I'd be very surprised if they did.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #3435 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Random question but, why are the prices so low on these models? Will they be that low forever, or will they go up anytime soon?

I see the P60ST60 is $1,499 from Paul's TV, which seems insanely low. I had been looking for a good deal on the ST50 and saw a similar price on the 60" model on Amazon and was ready to buy until I noticed the ST60's price. So now I naturally want the ST60. Truth be told though, I just had an expensive vacation, moved, and bought an engagement ring, so it'd be nice not to spend $1,500 right now. Though if this price is likely to disappear in the next month, it would be a wise purchase now nevertheless. Thanks for any insight.

Also, probably OT, but I have a 4 year old Samsung LN55B650 in pristine shape. Any clue what I could get for it? Also anyone familiar with that model can maybe offer advice on how much better the ST60 would be? No reason to upgrade really, just want the latest and greatest if a good deal.
post #3436 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Random question but, why are the prices so low on these models? Will they be that low forever, or will they go up anytime soon?

I see the P60ST60 is $1,499 from Paul's TV, which seems insanely low.

Looking at models from last year, there is an initial push at SRP before orders start shipping, then the price drops, and then keeps dropping until the end of the product year. Everybody is selling this set for $1499, and I highly doubt it will go back to SRP. Check this GT50 price history from last year. Aside from some price weirdness as stock started drying up it mostly keeps coming down. $1499 for the 60" is the new ceiling price, I'm sure. It will stay that or get cheaper as the next few months go by.
post #3437 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero View Post

Looking at models from last year, there is an initial push at SRP before orders start shipping, then the price drops, and then keeps dropping until the end of the product year. Everybody is selling this set for $1499, and I highly doubt it will go back to SRP. Check this GT50 price history from last year. Aside from some price weirdness as stock started drying up it mostly keeps coming down. $1499 for the 60" is the new ceiling price, I'm sure. It will stay that or get cheaper as the next few months go by.

Thanks...so basically what you're saying is, no harm in waiting a few months? I was thinking that when more competition (higher priced competition that is) came out, Panasonic could increase current prices closer to the competition, but still lower than the competition.
post #3438 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Thanks...so basically what you're saying is, no harm in waiting a few months? I was thinking that when more competition (higher priced competition that is) came out, Panasonic could increase current prices closer to the competition, but still lower than the competition.

Sure, I'm not Panasonic so I'm not going to say with 100% certainty that you have nothign to worry about. But I am pretty darn sure it won't go above $1499. These things tend to just keep coming down a bit as time goes on.
post #3439 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

My guess is they ship the item from the closest store so it will be a Best Buy truck that delivers it. You would need to be home. They also unbox it and put it together on the stand for you.

Oh, the day before they give you a 2 hour window of when they will be there.

I bought a p65s60 online, and to return it you have to go to a store, and they will schedule a pickup to take it away, you don't even have to bring it back in. I'm doing an exchange for a ST60 (glare was just too bothersome) and they are bringing a ST60 with them, and taking the s60 back with him. I was able to do this for no charges at all - very nice!
post #3440 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM

I got the best email today. After buying this TV, I am now a premier silver member with Best Buy which means I am eligible for one FREE in home service and TV calibration is included!! It is a $250 value. I was really planning on doing this anyway and now I get it included in the price of my TV!! Buying this set has been awesome from day 1 and it keeps getting better. Oh an P.S. as a premier silver member I now have 60 days exchange policy instead of 15!!!
post #3441 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I personally won't even put in the effort to get one...even for free!
How bout you get the pen for free and sell it to me for half price or better yet you can make a great donation to a fellow ST60 owner haha. I got my TC-P50ST60 on April 13th and the promotion is from the 14th till the i dont even remember when. I missed it by one freaking day and sure i probably would never use the pen ever but it would be nice just to have it laying around.
post #3442 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
About to pull the trigger on this TV after reading the past dozen pages, its a surprise for the family ( hubby hinted at high end plasma to replace current). Just not sure where to order, guessing Amazon is the best price/service?

Panasonic TC-P55ST60 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV
post #3443 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahOlin View Post

About to pull the trigger on this TV after reading the past dozen pages, its a surprise for the family ( hubby hinted at high end plasma to replace current). Just not sure where to order, guessing Amazon is the best price/service?

Panasonic TC-P55ST60 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV

Awesome! They will love it! I recommend spending the extra $150 and get the 60"!
post #3444 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

Awesome! They will love it! I recommend spending the extra $150 and get the 60"!

I second this motion! We were going to get the 55" too...but Best Buy didn't sell it so I talked the wife into "trying" the 60". We both LOVE it (upgraded from a 42" so big difference)
post #3445 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I got the best email today. After buying this TV, I am now a premier silver member with Best Buy which means I am eligible for one FREE in home service and TV calibration is included!! It is a $250 value. I was really planning on doing this anyway and now I get it included in the price of my TV!! Buying this set has been awesome from day 1 and it keeps getting better. Oh an P.S. as a premier silver member I now have 60 days exchange policy instead of 15!!!

How much you spend in the past year?
post #3446 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

Hate to have to be the one to rain upon your parade;however, Best Buy (Geeksquad) Calibrations are far from great. I'd recommend finding a local professional ISF certified calibrator whom specializes in that area to do it. Will it cost you - yes, but it will yield much more accurate results.

Best Buy is notorious for simply tweaking basic settings and not going in depth. Wouldn't recommend them ever.
post #3447 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I think ST60 owners might find some vindication over in the VT60 thread smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3448 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

So is there any way to have a Windows Laptop connect to the TV wirelessly or you need to hardwire it?

Or if anyone know a way to get streaming Flash content from a website to show on the TV? That is one thing that was great about Samsung's smart TV browser, it supported flash!

Get a HTPC and be done with it, have everything run fast and smooth, Internet,bluray movies,music,pictures all controlled with smart phone or tablet with a program like XBMC.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3449 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

If you wanna keep watching DVDs on this beast, you might wanna try some other video processing besides the display. Like an Oppo player, an AVR with an HQV or QDEO chip, an iscan duo etc.. Might help a bit

As long as I stick with a 50" TV DVDs look fine at my viewing distance. To tell the truth I never thought about going bigger until now so I'm fine with the size I have.
post #3450 of 12915 Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Pauls TV has like $250 in gift cards that I know nothing about, but the TV is the same price as Amazon and no tax for me. Anyone know about the gift cards?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page